Defensive Line could be deep

Re: LT, do not forget that he is a young player and there is a scheme change from Manny to Mario. I am not sure if that's why he wasn't running with the 1s in practice or in the spring game but that would be my guess. IMO, I think once he gets the mental part down, he's likely going to play a bigger role as the season progresses. He's likely the most talented guy on the line. That said, I am always cautious with DL. They don't tend to peak until their upperclassmen years simply because those summers in the weight room matter. He likely still has his best football ahead of him.

Advertisement
I never expected LT to be the anchor this season like some of you guys. How many second year DTs make a P5 all conference, much less AA?

As I've noted before, Vince Wilfork was the most disruptive DT on roster as a sophomore, but he didn't start, he rotated in. And he was not all conference or AA. From Wikipedia: "Wilfork did not start a game in his 2002 sophomore season either, but still recorded 43 tackles and seven sacks"

I want Taylor to disrupt like Wilfork did. I honestly don't care if he starts, as long as he gets 20-40 snaps in a game where he puts the fear of God into the QB or ball carrier. A lot will depend on his counterpart. Nesta was a good DT. But he didn't attack the OL or occupy the double team. Ford was the guy that did that. Hopefully Jackson (and Miller and Haye) do that this season.
Corey Simon made AA at FSU coming off the bench, similar to Big Vince.

Unless the guy is a generational talent, your program isn't there if you're depending on underclassmen on either side of the line. That's grown man territory.

And I don't know what they listed him at, but LT to me looked no bigger than JHH. Both those guys could use more size imho.

Bumping thread. Messidor said during Media Day he expects to play different positions but considers his best spot the 3-Tech. If he's anchoring that position, what does that mean for LT, JHH, Roberts, Lichtenstein and Moultrie?

You still have Jackson, Miller and Haye as NGs.

Do you guys think we'll put two sub-300 DTs out there at the same time on a lot of snaps?

Advertisement
Bumping thread. Messidor said during Media Day he expects to play different positions but considers his best spot the 3-Tech. If he's anchoring that position, what does that mean for LT, JHH, Roberts, Lichtenstein and Moultrie?

You still have Jackson, Miller and Haye as NGs.

Do you guys think we'll put two sub-300 DTs out there at the same time on a lot of snaps?
It'll depend what we trot out there vs our opponent.

Against TAMU, as one example, it wouldn't surprise me to see Steele run the 404 or some TITE front variation. Spill everything outside. In that case, Mesidor would play 4i. Someone like D Jackson would play the 0. Someone like Taylor would play the other 4i. And, someone like Harvey would stand up.

Overall, I see Mesidor likely at the SSDE spot with capabilities like above, and then perhaps a 3T on passing downs. Can't wait to see what we do with our fronts and how we presumably will clamp the run.

Against TAMU, as one example, it wouldn't surprise me to see Steele run the 404 or some TITE front variation. Spill everything outside. In that case, Mesidor would play 4i. Someone like D Jackson would play the 0. Someone like Taylor would play the other 4i. And, someone like Harvey would stand up.

Overall, I see Mesidor likely at the SSDE spot with capabilities like above, and then perhaps a 3T on passing downs. Can't wait to see what we do with our fronts and how we presumably will clamp the run.
I was thinking of this as well. Allows the LB and safeties to flow to the ball and make plays.

Lichtenstein would also be good as a 4i with his length and power. I would also say Agude would be playing the Jack a lot in that D. I think he has the size/strength combo to hold up.

I was thinking of this as well. Allows the LB and safeties to flow to the ball and make plays.

Lichtenstein would also be good as a 4i with his length and power. I would also say Agude would be playing the Jack a lot in that D. I think he has the size/strength combo to hold up.
Imagine a world where LBs aren't guessing their asses off and Safeties aren't left flat-footed to clean up a cutback 10 yards downfield. Last year's system lost me about 2-3 years ago when I just didn't think it would ever be sustainable. Hopefully, we'll now run something where we don't have to cross our fingers every time a RB cuts back.

Lu, is that essentially a 5-2-4 like we used to run back 30 to 40 Years ago in high school football?

Advertisement
Lu, is that essentially a 5-2-4 like we used to run back 30 to 40 Years ago in high school football?

Ha. Funny because I’m old enough to have played in one of those. Those TITE front alignments have similarities, sure. This version is more about defending the spread. The 5-2 I played felt like it was just a ****load of bodies stacked on the line.

This is closer to what it looks like now:

1659572269770.png

Ha. Funny because I’m old enough to have played in one of those. Those TITE front alignments have similarities, sure. This version is more about defending the spread. The 5-2 I played felt like it was just a ****load of bodies stacked on the line.

This is closer to what it looks like now:

View attachment 202556
Steele is gonna show the fan base what a real defense looks like lol not the high school **** we’ve seen

I’ve seen some interesting alignments in the 3-3-5 where they are able to stop runs with 3 DL and 1MLB inside the box. The 4i players are able to occupy the G/T and they plug up the middle and make the play bounce to the Safeties that are lined up outside the box. Interesting concepts

If you like breakdowns - here is a blueprint of how Georgia completely shut down Clemson last year

According to camp reports this defensive line is shaping up to be a strength of this team. Can’t wait to see these guys eat this season.

Advertisement
Between the DL and Secondary..Steele has so many toys to play with its ridiculous. He can really do whatever he wants in those position groups. There is ample talent and quality depth.

And as has been said ad nauseam we are building enough depth to be able to game plan for an opponent and their strengths similar to what he did at Auburn.

As many people have pointed out his game plan with a bunch of DBs against LSU was specific to that game.

I cannot wait to see what he will throw out at each opponent just to catch them off guard. And the front will be key, staying disciplined and knowing their assignments for each team and each offensive scheme.

Advertisement
Back