Defense

cyrez8

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Why is this year's team so bad at defense? This is a staple of Coach L and I don't get it. Our defense is going to be the reason we likely fail to make the dance. We can't defend and I'm not sure why.

Advertisement
Lack of size, lack of length and freshmen that don't know diddly about playing defense. Plus, Miami is also facing a team with multiple lottery picks right now. Duke will shred most teams they face this year. Period.

Advertisement
Our bigs are unathletic and not physical. We also have no depth up front.

our guards aren’t extremely athletic either, and they’re on the small side.

Lack of size, lack of length and freshmen that don't know diddly about playing defense. Plus, Miami is also facing a team with multiple lottery picks right now. Duke will shred most teams they face this year. Period.
The defense has been bad all season, even in a lot of our wins. We’ve had success because we’ve shot very well from 3 and haven’t turned it over. Tonight we didn’t do either of those things, and we played our usual atrocious defense. Hence we got run out of our own building

The defense has been bad all season, even in a lot of our wins. We’ve had success because we’ve shot very well from 3 and haven’t turned it over. Tonight we didn’t do either of those things, and we played our usual atrocious defense. Hence we got run out of our own building

This team will have to straight up outscore teams in order to win. When you don't have size, that's how you have to play. Miami will win with tempo and shooting. Fortunately, Miami won't face a ton of teams that can really exploit the lack of size like Duke can. Duke was significantly bigger across the board. They have NBA level length and athleticism, just like Louisville. It's not an accident that Miami struggled against those two teams. Two top 5 teams, with insane talent.

Advertisement
This team will have to straight up outscore teams in order to win. When you don't have size, that's how you have to play. Miami will win with tempo and shooting. Fortunately, Miami won't face a ton of teams that can really exploit the lack of size like Duke can. Duke was significantly bigger across the board. They have NBA level length and athleticism, just like Louisville. It's not an accident that Miami struggled against those two teams. Two top 5 teams, with insane talent.

This is a fair assessment of Duke and Louisville. No shame in losing to teams like that. The problem is the non-competitive manner in which we lost both games.

Exactly. If we played our game last night, we should’ve lost by 10-15, not 33. We were 10 point dogs
This is a fair assessment of Duke and Louisville. No shame in losing to teams like that. The problem is the non-competitive manner in which we lost both games.

To expand on that, its pretty simple:

Lykes - too small
DJ - too slow
Kam - too thin/weak
Sam - too thin/weak
Rodney - too slow, weak, out of shape, and uncoordinated

Keith's still recovering from an injury, and something tells me he wasn't all that great of a defender to begin with. Finally, the 3 freshman are doing stupid freshman things.

All that said, this team would be A LOT better on D with a legit rim protector, like, I dunno, Nysier Brooks.

We are in the 210’s (out of 350 D1 teams) on kenpom’s defensive metrics. By far the worst defense under L, and even worse than most of Haith’s teams

Advertisement
Why is this year's team so bad at defense? This is a staple of Coach L and I don't get it. Our defense is going to be the reason we likely fail to make the dance. We can't defend and I'm not sure why.
Coach L has no staples. Just has those lame *** slogans in the practice facility. L’s staple is having unprepared teams night in and night out

A lot of playing good defense is-- like rebounding - effort and desire. We usually have at least a couple guys willing to give 100% on the defensive end. This season we have none. Easily our worst defensive/rebounding team under L.

You'd think a guy like Walker, who obviously is not contributing on offense, might get it into his head that he might make a rep and more minutes for himself by playing tough D. It would be noticed, I'm sure.

A lot of playing good defense is-- like rebounding - effort and desire. We usually have at least a couple guys willing to give 100% on the defensive end. This season we have none. Easily our worst defensive/rebounding team under L.

You'd think a guy like Walker, who obviously is not contributing on offense, might get it into his head that he might make a rep and more minutes for himself by playing tough D. It would be noticed, I'm sure.

If you have an athletic team that plays bad defense you can blame lack of effort and desire. Our front court is a bunch of stiffs. They could have the effort and desire of Rudy and it wouldn't matter.

Advertisement
We have played **** poor defense all year long

We are in the 210’s (out of 350 D1 teams) on kenpom’s defensive metrics. By far the worst defense under L, and even worse than most of Haith’s teams
Exactly.

I still don't understand why we're so bad but my explanation is Lykes who has a shot at an NBA career but is getting absolutely abused on the defensive end (when he's not drawing fouls which is great) which trickles down to the rest of the squad since they are always having to help.

If you have an athletic team that plays bad defense you can blame lack of effort and desire. Our front court is a bunch of stiffs. They could have the effort and desire of Rudy and it wouldn't matter.

One of them plays basketball like Rudy too.

Agree to a certain extent, but Julian Gamble was a stiff who hustled like crazy. He was physical and wasn't afraid to put his body on the floor. I don't see that from Miller or Sam, or even Stone.

Advertisement
Back