Defense next year

This defense gets better (not even all the way right) this should be at least a 10-win team next season.

Advertisement
You forget about our pathetic scheme and decision making by the guy who runs the defense. We may have horses but unconvinced we will be better than 75 in nation with noDforyou coaching

We were 45th in 2011.

Boom

never ceases to amaze me how retarded our fan base is

Boom what? You guys watch us this year? Forget that quickly? We were 118th in total defense . I am projecting an improvement of 43 spots. Our guys never got comfortable with the scheme, otherwise you would see improvement through the year. But an awful Virginia offense put up 41 and we let them drive 90 yds in 1 min 30 secs and duke put up basketball type numbers on us! Both at end of year.

Guys constantly missed assignments. Our blitzes never ever got to the qb. We actually dropped Curtis porter in coverage on the last play of the UVA game.

Donofrio should be fired. Anyone who keeps blaming the players is making excuses. He was dreadful. Awful. Our guys weren't 118 in talent, even with how young they are.

You forget about our pathetic scheme and decision making by the guy who runs the defense. We may have horses but unconvinced we will be better than 75 in nation with noDforyou coaching

We were 45th in 2011.

Boom

Boom what? You guys watch us this year? Forget that quickly? We were 118th in total defense . I am projecting an improvement of 43 spots. Our guys never got comfortable with the scheme, otherwise you would see improvement through the year. But an awful Virginia offense put up 41 and we let them drive 90 yds in 1 min 30 secs and duke put up basketball type numbers on us! Both at end of year.

Guys constantly missed assignments. Our blitzes never ever got to the qb. We actually dropped Curtis porter in coverage on the last play of the UVA game.

Donofrio should be fired. Anyone who keeps blaming the players is making excuses. He was dreadful. Awful. Our guys weren't 118 in talent, even with how young they are.

Let Dorito get his players and the judge. Ifwe are still terrible by the end of next year I will agree. Until then just enjoyed the ride and potential of what this team can do with the aforementioned players on defense and our high powered offense. Im excited and so should everyone else be

This has been posted a few times here, but a lot of next season's success relies on this year's class. I'm talking about from the defensive view because we know the offense will put up points. It is a lot to ask of an incoming class, but that's why JuCos are so valuable.

Devante Bond-- Very good shot with him right now... would be a HUGGGEEEEEE boost in the pass rush. Imagine pairing him with a bulked-up McCord

Lavon Hooks-- Visit will put Miami in the lead IMO... Starter from day 1 and he could continue to grow. Coaches are going crazy over the possibility of him being here next season.

Ben Bradley-- Don't know how good of a shot Miami has until he gets down for his visit on the weekend of December 7th. another guy who would start from Day 1 (how crazy would a 3-man rotation of Porter, Hooks, Bradley look?)

I feel they will land 1 between Hooks & Bradley and either one would be incredible. Obviously it would be ideal for them to land both

Keith Bryant-- Would be in the rotation and could push for one of the top spots by year's end

Matthew Thomas-- There's a common misconception with him that he is a Hybrid OLB/DE... while he can be a pass-rusher, his future is not at DE. He can play any of the LB spots effectively and do everything you ask of a big-time linebacker. Blitz, cover (he's very fluid), and get in there on run support

Burns/Carter-- Will add quality depth

Tim Williams-- could play a McCord-type role from this season, but ideally I'd like to see him redshirt

Add this with the maturation of Bush/Howard/Jenkins/McCord/etc. and we could see a big jump in next year's defense.

Offseason progression will be the biggest part of this equation along with Porter staying/EJ getting his head on straight

can somebody sell me on this guy. i dont think he is that good.

I'm hoping for contributions from redshirt freshman DL like O'Donnell and Hoilett. If one or both can give good minutes and Chick either loses weight to gain explosiveness or become comfortable with his gained weight, we should see a better product with McCord being better just because of added weight. I love Shayon and how hard he has worked to come back from injury, but if we want to be a better defense, we can't have him as a starter. Everyone talks about DT, but our DE were just as awful.

Advertisement

We were 45th in 2011.

Boom

Our 22 true Sophomores or younger weren't 118th in talent even though there were 22 true Sophomores or younger playing in the two deep? Yeah, Coach D all of the sudden forgot how to run a defense even though he had a top 10 defense at Temple with players nobody wanted. The entire roster consisted of no stars or 2 stars and a couple of 3 stars. That defense was downright nasty!

Quit acting like you have a clue about what it takes to run a D-1 defense because you don't! I'm going to support our coaching staff that was handed garbage and is loading up the entire roster with studs that everybody wants. If Coach D could take nobody's and make a top 10 defense then I'm sure he's going to build a monster with the talent he's bringing in right now.

This is where you say that was Temple, blah, blah, blah and I say yeah that was Temple the worst D-1 football team in CFB before Golden took over. That same Temple that had about 40 scholarship football players on the roster that was about to end football all together. That same Temple that by the time Al and company left beat UCONN by two TD's who played OU in the BCS bowl game.

Coach D is going to turn out to be one of the best DC's this program has ever had. You have zero vision and have no clue what scheme Coach D even wants to run here. Coach D is going to make some you look like idiots.

Pete I'm going to disagree with you and say while Matt Thomas could be a great LB, he could also be a GREAT rush DE. A rush DE is more valuable. If he is here, I want to see him with his hand down multiple times per a game. Ideally, you have like 5 of him on the field, but as a pass rusher he effects every other position. The kid is going to be a baller no matter what.

Pete I'm going to disagree with you and say while Matt Thomas could be a great LB, he could also be a GREAT rush DE. A rush DE is more valuable. If he is here, I want to see him with his hand down multiple times per a game. Ideally, you have like 5 of him on the field, but as a pass rusher he effects every other position. The kid is going to be a baller no matter what.

+1

3rd and long and Thomas would be perfect rushing the passer from the 3-4.

Our 22 true Sophomores or younger weren't 118th in talent even though there were 22 true Sophomores or younger playing in the two deep? Yeah, Coach D all of the sudden forgot how to run a defense even though he had a top 10 defense at Temple with players nobody wanted. The entire roster consisted of no stars or 2 stars and a couple of 3 stars. That defense was downright nasty!

Quit acting like you have a clue about what it takes to run a D-1 defense because you don't! I'm going to support our coaching staff that was handed garbage and is loading up the entire roster with studs that everybody wants. If Coach D could take nobody's and make a top 10 defense then I'm sure he's going to build a monster with the talent he's bringing in right now.

This is where you say that was Temple, blah, blah, blah and I say yeah that was Temple the worst D-1 football team in CFB before Golden took over. That same Temple that had about 40 scholarship football players on the roster that was about to end football all together. That same Temple that by the time Al and company left beat UCONN by two TD's who played OU in the BCS bowl game.

Coach D is going to turn out to be one of the best DC's this program has ever had. You have zero vision and have no clue what scheme Coach D even wants to run here. Coach D is going to make some you look like idiots.

This is something we as fans need to remember. I know we say "yea it was against MAC competition" but remember, his kids at Temple weren't Miami caliber kids playing inferior opponents, they were on par or even BELOW the competition. Am I saying No D is a good coach? **** if I know, but you can't overlook the fact that their scheme has proven results.

Does anyone want to go back to Shannon's standard uncreative 4/3 cover 2?

Advertisement
I'm still a bit skeptical that we will get Hooks. There was some JUCO a few years ago who had a similar recruitment to Hooks and went elsewhere, but I want him here BAD. That guy is a monster with room to grow and seems to be just learning the DT position, which is absolutely scary.

Bond is a guy who I think can be a Javon Nanton-esque player for us. We need one of those BAD right now. He would help us get off the field on third down.

Thomas competing with Kirby for an OLB spot is how you return to the top.

Think Kirby is destined for MLB but I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Would love a LB line-up of SLB: E. Johnson/Matt Thomas MLB: Kirby WLB: Perryman

You guys think Matt Thomas is more Alec Ogletree than Jarvis Jones?

I'd agree with this. He looks great rushing the QB, but he also looks very comfortable in coverage and he fights through traffic and finds the ball so well that I think he's more valuable playing inside.

I know we need pass rushers, but, from his highlights, he looks very instinctive and would be a force after he puts on some size.

This is something we as fans need to remember. I know we say "yea it was against MAC competition" but remember, his kids at Temple weren't Miami caliber kids playing inferior opponents, they were on par or even BELOW the competition. Am I saying No D is a good coach? **** if I know, but you can't overlook the fact that their scheme has proven results.

Does anyone want to go back to Shannon's standard uncreative 4/3 cover 2?

You mean this 4-3 cover 2 that was ranked #7 in Total Defense in 2006 that Petrino exposed the **** out of? **** NO!!!

[video=youtube;mOBsweq0ASU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBsweq0ASU[/video]

I will support them too ( and do so every year). But donofrio d is still the worst I have ever seen as a canes fan. in big time football, his performance deserved termination for cause.

We will get better players but until we get more aggressive rather than this bs zone, read react defense, we will be in the bottom half if college football.

I hope I am wrong

We were 45th in 2011.

Boom

Advertisement
You are wrong... Again, Coach D had a top 10 defense at Temple with a majority of no stars and 2 stars on his depth chart. Scheme had nothing to do with this season. 22 True Sophomores and younger was the problem with defense this year. Once the players develop and Coach D can open up the playbook shyts going to get real...

Coach D could coach circles around Randy Shannon and even that incompetent stooge produced top 10 defenses with Miami talent.

I will support them too ( and do so every year). But donofrio d is still the worst I have ever seen as a canes fan. in big time football, his performance deserved termination for cause.

We will get better players but until we get more aggressive rather than this bs zone, read react defense, we will be in the bottom half if college football.

I hope I am wrong

We were 45th in 2011.

Boom

Advertisement
Back