DEFENSE... I'M EXPECTING A HUGE JUMP IN STATS THIS YEAR

We're starting to fill the gaps with guys getting healthy and fresh blood stepping up in all positions. Last year was a learning year adjusting to new schemes and playing assignment ball with a new coaching staff. This year guys will be much more comfortable in their rolls. With that said, what stats do you think we improve the most.

Sacks... Last year FSU was #1 in sacks, totaling 51... We were ranked #22 with 37 sacks.... I think we'll be ranked top 5 with 44 sacks

Pass Int... San Diego State led with 26 INTS.... we were ranked tied at 93 with 8 INTS... This is one of the Stats I think we jump the most... with much more pressure on the QB I think we double it and end up ranked in top 14 with around 16 INTS... and 2018 will be better with another of development.

What's your thoughts?

Advertisement
I don't expect too big of a jump in stats.
Improve 3rd down / redzone stop % and increase turnovers. We had a very good defense last year.

I am very surprised we only had 8 INTs last year. That number has to go up.

Advertisement
I am expecting our front seven to inflict a lot of pain on opposing players.
Hopefully the stats like sacks , fumbles and INTS improve due to it but if not, just improve upon the first two things calinative mentioned and we will be more than alright.

There were plenty of tipped balls and dropped INTs last year. Could have easily been 11-12. With a year under their belt in Manny's system, would not be surprised to see a couple of pick 6s and a few more LB INTs

I care more about total turnovers caused. You can lead the NCAA in ints and be middle of the pack in turnovers. Would rather be the leader in turnovers.

Advertisement

I care more about total turnovers caused. You can lead the NCAA in ints and be middle of the pack in turnovers. Would rather be the leader in turnovers.

Well yeah, I know, but INTs are turnovers so I'd like to see more of them. We will see fumbles with our violent style of D, but I expect that INT number to go up. Adding a ballhawk like Dee Delaney will help.

I'm soooo happy that you are excited ... but always remember "statistics are for losers". I'm more excited that we're going to score more than the other team .

I expect we will field 11 men more often than not and trust that the coaches are not corches. Also expect us to play a lot faster and looser given that all the players will have another year under the system and that they are maturing both physically and mentally.

Go CANES!!!

Advertisement

There were plenty of tipped balls and dropped INTs last year. Could have easily been 11-12. With a year under their belt in Manny's system, would not be surprised to see a couple of pick 6s and a few more LB INTs

Spending more time in the system won't give the defense hands. I went back and watched every game this year (except FAMU) at least 2-3 times, EVERY SINGLE GAME we had a DB (or LB) that got 2 hands on the ball, or had the ball hit their chest/stomach and they still dropped it. They need to start punishing folks Denzel Perryman style for dropping pic's or working the jug machine to become a more well rounded player.

It's the same argument that we had at some point last year when discussing who would you rather have on the team between Artie Burns and Corn Elder. Artie very rarely dropped interceptions, and when he left we end up getting 8 INT's as a team (6 less than the previous year)...which is no coincidence that Artie had 6 INT's in his last year here. Corn is a great DB whose always making great PBU's, but seems to lack when it comes to catching pic's. I have a feeling that this will change this year with the addition of Delaney, and with Malek Young having better hands than Corn despite dropping a couple easy INT's himself last year.

It was a huge change in scheme and responsibilities for our DB's last year. I expect them to look a lot better this year after another year of coaching and with the jump the DL will likely make.

Advertisement
Here's the thing. If you've got a defense that doesn't give up a lot of first downs, they'll be on the field less and there will be less counting stats. Is there any wonder why our leading tackler last year only had like 80 something tackles? Not a lot of opportunities to make tackles, sacks and interceptions when the opponent is going three and out over and over.

Advertisement
Back