Defense against Notre Dame....

Caneibal

Redshirt Freshman
Play a combination of Buddy Ryan's bear defense and a 1 high safety. I would make the ND Qb beat me in the passing game.

Blitz, blitz n blitz some more
Different blitzing schemes from every direction
The Qb right handed , he will naturally roll to the right to.escape
Their longest run are up the middle usually to left of center
They pull to the left to run the ball

Any thoughts????

Advertisement
Everyone has gone in with the idea of stopping their run game and forcing them to win with the throw game. The only team that has succeeded in that plan so far has been UGA.

Everyone has gone in with the idea of stopping their run game and forcing them to win with the throw game. The only team that has succeeded in that plan so far has been UGA.

We have, statistically, one of the best pass defenses in college football, so no secret our CBs are going to be on islands. Box will be stacked yet Manny will bring heat. I was doing some research on what scheme would be best this game, and no sh#t, the very first link I found was about Manny Diaz at Texas.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...rns-football-defense-run-blitz-missed-tackles

We are creatures of habit, so I suspect Manny will keep bringing pressure, even though we know ND will be leaning heavily on the run. Our tackling has improved significantly, so that's what I think it comes down to. Going to play high risk, high reward - good chance at TFLs, but if we miss tackles they are making a house call (our D gave me a couple near heart attacks in the VT game). A safer D scheme might be prudent, but that's just not our style.

Last edited:
Franchise, you are correct my friend. UGA did it because of one reason. They have the athletes to do it. I think we have better cover corners and linebackers. We r going to shock the nation.

Advertisement
I wouldn't blitz that much in this game unless it is like the one where Carter was on the edge but then came up the middle.

We should be selective in our blitzing and disguise it well. I mostly want to see a 4 man line pushing up field with the LBs filling in when necessary.

We have, statistically, one of the best pass defenses in college football, so no secret our CBs are going to be on islands. Box will be stacked yet Manny will bring heat. I was doing some research on what scheme would be best this game, and no sh#t, the very first link I found was about Manny Diaz at Texas.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...rns-football-defense-run-blitz-missed-tackles

We are creatures of habit, so I suspect Manny will keep bringing pressure, even though we know ND will be leaning heavily on the run. Our tackling has improved significantly, so that's what I think it comes down to. Going to play high risk, high reward - good chance at TFLs, but if we miss tackles they are making a house call (our D gave me a couple near heart attacks in the VT game). A safer D scheme might be prudent, but that's just not our style.

Yup tackling is HUGE this game. We were missing way too many tackles earlier in the season. We've improved greatly lately in that regard. However, they have 2 very talented runners in their backfield at all times and their both 220+ pounds. We need to tackle their guys DOWN. If we fail to do so, it will likely result in big plays for ND.

Don't Blitz... if you run a Blitz and its the wrong call... you create lanes right to the End-Zone... They want you run the ball... bring down a safety to have 8 in the box... Read maintain Gap integrity and Attack

Advertisement
Don't Blitz... if you run a Blitz and its the wrong call... you create lanes right to the End-Zone... They want you run the ball... bring down a safety to have 8 in the box... Read maintain Gap integrity and Attack

Lets see if we gon one on one or use stunts twists and blitz.....they work sometimes to get tfl but ur right they also create lanes....cant let wimbush get arpund the edge either.......but has Diaz ever coachex scared? I think he brings the house n we pull it off

This. I think we've been blitzing a lot more than needed, just let the front 4 do their thing.

Whatever UGA did. Copy that.

It's important to note that their game against UGA was their 2nd game of the season. They've developed much more of an identity on offense since then.

Agree. Second game of the year with a green QB playing against a veteran defense that's very good. Since that game they've been effective against two pretty good defenses (MSU, NC State) and ran it up on USC.

Exactly. Need disciplined gap control. I have no doubt they will find lanes sat night and bust some open but have to maintain inside gap control and contain wimbush from getting outside.

That said, we'll need to send an extra blitzer often because there will be a lot of max protect and their OL is pretty darn good.

Advertisement
Corners and safeties are going to be a big key in run support this week. I think we will be fine. They will get some big plays here and there but limiting those and holding to FG attempts is going to be critical. I agree a little less stunting would be nice and trust your guys to beat the guy in front of them.

Exactly. Need disciplined gap control. I have no doubt they will find lanes sat night and bust some open but have to maintain inside gap control and contain wimbush from getting outside.

That said, we'll need to send an extra blitzer often because there will be a lot of max protect and their OL is pretty darn good.

I wouldn't mind seeing some corner pressures in passing downs and try to see if he can read it and make the proper throw.

Advertisement

I wouldn't mind seeing some corner pressures in passing downs and try to see if he can read it and make the proper throw.

yeah, I think that's the theme - disguise where the rushers are coming from and confuse him. They don't throw it a lot but when he does, gotta make him second guess the throw and make a bad throw.

[TWEET]927538267028893696[/TWEET]

[TWEET]927538267028893696[/TWEET]

They'll coach that retardation out of him if he's to enjoy time in the league.

Advertisement
Back