December 14th 2019, Alabama A&M at Miami game info and pregame predictions. Game thread if you want it also.

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC
Alabama A&M 59
Miami 85

Sam continues to play well knowing his playing time in in jeopardy due to Keith Stone being healthy and Anthony Walker is getting better with each game. If only Miami had someone on the roster to motivate Rodney Miller for his playing time.

Competitive practices and playing time competition is why a coach should always use all 13 of his scholarships each year.

Advertisement
Sam continues to play well knowing his playing time in in jeopardy due to Keith Stone being healthy and Anthony Walker is getting better with each game. If only Miami had someone on the roster to motivate Rodney Miller for his playing time.

1. Anthony Walker hardly plays, how do you know he is getting better? He played 50 total minutes over the last four games. Both his minutes and production are down versus the first four games (first four versus last four).

2. You think motivation is what is holding Rodney back in some way? Rodney should be on the bench; he should hardly play. We should be going with four guards (for the majority of the game) and Walker getting at least 20 MPG. No matter what happens, for some unknown reason, we refuse to play to our strengths and we stick with an insanely inefficient liability out there. I don’t think motivation is going to make Rodney better.

1. Anthony Walker hardly plays, how do you know he is getting better? He played 50 total minutes over the last four games. Both his minutes and production are down versus the first four games (first four versus last four).

2. You think motivation is what is holding Rodney back in some way? Rodney should be on the bench; he should hardly play. We should be going with four guards (for the majority of the game) and Walker getting at least 20 MPG. No matter what happens, for some unknown reason, we refuse to play to our strengths and we stick with an insanely inefficient liability out there. I don’t think motivation is going to make Rodney better.

Rodney Miller HAS to play. We have no other options at C. This really isn't that complicated.

(Yes, we know, we should have other guys on the roster yada yada. But we're in-season now, and we don't have other guys. You can resume beating your dead "roster management" horse in a few months. No one disagrees that we should fill the scholarships, but your shtick is tired and boring, especially at this point in the year. Just accept where we are and move on.)

Back to the matter at hand...by rule, we need 5 guys on the court. There is literally no one else on the roster to give Rodney's minutes to. It's impossible that he will be below 15-20 mpg. He's a bit above that now, but not by much. His minutes will likely decrease a bit over time, but he will play significant minutes all year long.

Regarding Walker, when he has been on the court this year, our offensive rating is a pathetic 91. He is a much bigger liability on that end than Rodney, whose offensive rating is 116 (good for 301st in the country, for whatever reason). Walker's offensive rebound and defensive rebound rates are both 6.8%, which are both significantly below Rodney's (as well as Sam's). His assist rate is lower than Rodney's and his turnover rate is higher than Rodney's. Walker's block and steal rates are impressive, and are highly encouraging athletic indicators for the future, but that doesn't mean he's ready to make an impact in the paint today.

None of this is to say that Rodney is a good player, or anything close to that. But today, Walker is even worse than Rodney, by any measure. Your argument that Rodney is "insanely inefficient", when compared to Walker, is completely unfounded.

Rodney Miller HAS to play. We have no other options at C. This really isn't that complicated.

(Yes, we know, we should have other guys on the roster yada yada. But we're in-season now, and we don't have other guys. You can resume beating your dead "roster management" horse in a few months. No one disagrees that we should fill the scholarships, but your shtick is tired and boring, especially at this point in the year. Just accept where we are and move on.)

Back to the matter at hand...by rule, we need 5 guys on the court. There is literally no one else on the roster to give Rodney's minutes to. It's impossible that he will be below 15-20 mpg. He's a bit above that now, but not by much. His minutes will likely decrease a bit over time, but he will play significant minutes all year long.

Regarding Walker, when he has been on the court this year, our offensive rating is a pathetic 91. He is a much bigger liability on that end than Rodney, whose offensive rating is 116 (good for 301st in the country, for whatever reason). Walker's offensive rebound and defensive rebound rates are both 6.8%, which are both significantly below Rodney's (as well as Sam's). His assist rate is lower than Rodney's and his turnover rate is higher than Rodney's. Walker's block and steal rates are impressive, and are highly encouraging athletic indicators for the future, but that doesn't mean he's ready to make an impact in the paint today.

None of this is to say that Rodney is a good player, or anything close to that. But today, Walker is even worse than Rodney, by any measure. Your argument that Rodney is "insanely inefficient", when compared to Walker, is completely unfounded.

Stop it with the facts. We’re all only here to read about how Consigliere know more about basketball and our team than Coach L.

Advertisement

He doesn't HAVE to play. Coach chooses to play him. You can play Walker at the 5 or Sam. Just limit Rodney's minutes. Not so complex.

How come Coach doesn't use 4 guards and limit the time Rodney "HAS" to play? Have the other 3 rotate, seems pretty simple.

Back to the matter at hand...by rule, we need 5 guys on the court.

Thank you. I forgot that we play 5 at a time. I didn't know that means you MUST play Rodney so many minutes. How about playing Rodney and Sam combined so many minutes? Are we required to play them so many minutes?

There is literally no one else on the roster to give Rodney's minutes to.

It starts by playing 4 guards. Play 4 guards at a time, the majority of the game. Rotate a guard and Stone at the 4 and limit the minutes you need Sam and Rodney on the court all together.

It's impossible that he will be below 15-20 mpg. He's a bit above that now, but not by much. His minutes will likely decrease a bit over time, but he will play significant minutes all year long.

He plays almost 25 MPG now.

Where do you get these stats? Please post the source. Perhaps if we actually played Walker, consistent burn and gave him more opportunities, he would have the opportunity to produce.

Liability refers to defense. Rodney is atrocious and a tremendous liability. He plays no defense and is consistently abused. Give Walker more burn and perhaps we will be surprised.

Please read what is actually there. It says..."No matter what happens, for some unknown reason, we refuse to play to our strengths and we stick with an insanely inefficient liability out there."

Our strengths are our guards. I am saying we should play our guards more and limit Rodney's burn.

Stop it with the facts.

Facts? Like the following:

Brooks is not fully healthy and you’ll find out more in the coming months.

Not a fact. Are we still waiting for this MAJOR annoucement?

Brooks wouldn’t get a waiver.

Not a fact.

Brooks is also not healthy. Playing in one exhibition game doesn’t change that. Stay tuned and you’ll find out more when news is revealed.

Should we still "stay tuned"?

He doesn't HAVE to play. Coach chooses to play him. You can play Walker at the 5 or Sam. Just limit Rodney's minutes. Not so complex.

How come Coach doesn't use 4 guards and limit the time Rodney "HAS" to play? Have the other 3 rotate, seems pretty simple.

Thank you. I forgot that we play 5 at a time. I didn't know that means you MUST play Rodney so many minutes. How about playing Rodney and Sam combined so many minutes? Are we required to play them so many minutes?

It starts by playing 4 guards. Play 4 guards at a time, the majority of the game. Rotate a guard and Stone at the 4 and limit the minutes you need Sam and Rodney on the court all together.

He plays almost 25 MPG now.

Where do you get these stats? Please post the source. Perhaps if we actually played Walker, consistent burn and gave him more opportunities, he would have the opportunity to produce.

Liability refers to defense. Rodney is atrocious and a tremendous liability. He plays no defense and is consistently abused. Give Walker more burn and perhaps we will be surprised.

Please read what is actually there. It says..."No matter what happens, for some unknown reason, we refuse to play to our strengths and we stick with an insanely inefficient liability out there."

Our strengths are our guards. I am saying we should play our guards more and limit Rodney's burn.

The stats are from Kenpom.

Our strength is NOT our guards. Our strength is our 3 starting guards. Our 4th and 5th guards have been terrible. Hopefully they will be better sooner than later, but to date, they have been quite bad. Similar to Walker, their play has not justified more minutes.

His defensive rebounding rate is less than half of Rodney's and Sam's! (And their defensive rebounding rates are not good to begin with.) The guy is raw and thin. What is there to suggest that he would be any better at protecting the paint than Rodney is?

The stats are from Kenpom.

Can you post the link?

Our strength is NOT our guards. Our strength is our 3 starting guards. Our 4th and 5th guards have been terrible. Hopefully they will be better sooner than later, but to date, they have been quite bad. Similar to Walker, their play has not justified more minutes.

You would be one of the few that thinks the strength of this team isn't the guards (that includes the 4th and 5th guard).

As for Beverly, he plays less MPG than Rodney. He averages more points. Plays almost 7 less MPG. He also is great at attacking the rim.

You know who's play hasn't justified more minutes? Rodney.

Walker's defensive rebounding rate is half of Rodney's. The guy is raw and thin. What is there to suggest that he would be any better at protecting the paint than Rodney is? His defensive rebounding rate is less than half of Rodney's and Sam's! (And their defensive rebounding rates are not good to begin with.)

Liability meaning allowing points. I've never seen a defender as bad as Rodney, who allows more points than him? You think Walker would be that bad?

Advertisement
Can you post the link?

You would be one of the few that thinks the strength of this team isn't the guards (that includes the 4th and 5th guard).

As for Beverly, he plays less MPG than Rodney. He averages more points. Plays almost 7 less MPG. He also is great at attacking the rim.

You know who's play hasn't justified more minutes? Rodney.

Liability meaning allowing points. I've never seen a defender as bad as Rodney, who allows more points than him? You think Walker would be that bad?

Here is the link: https://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Miami+FL. You need a subscription. It's pretty cheap though so I would recommend getting it.

Our offense scores ~110 points per 100 possessions this year. With Beverly on the court, that sinks to 92. With Wong, it dips below 90. Their turnover rates are each over 20%, making them the two most turnover-prone players on our team (by comparison, our 3 good guards' TO rates are all below 14%, each ranking in the top 400 nationally). Beverly has been an Izundu-like foul machine, to boot.

I think they'll be good players here, but they have been very bad thus far.

Rodney needs to play because he can grab some rebounds. Not that he's good at rebounding, but by nature of being his size, he will come down with some by accident. We can't say that for anyone else on the team. And surprisingly, our offense has played well when Rodney is on the court. He has been a good offensive rebounder, his turnover rate is very low (one of the team's overall strengths this year), and he has decent touch around the rim.

I can't imagine that our defense and rebounding would get better by substituting guards for Rodney, just based on size. And based on the way those guards have played thus far, and how our offense has played when Rodney is on the court, our offense would likely get worse, too.

There is no silver bullet with this team.

I don't understand your stats because the link doesn't work. If you can post some screen shots, that would help.

I think you're misinterpreting what I am saying:

1. Rodney isn't good. He is inefficient and a tremendous defensive liability. Since this is Rodney's 4th year, he isn't going to get much better. The freshman will. The freshman need to be given consistent opportunities and perhaps, they might produce. Clearly 1 of them (Bev) already does with limited minutes. I don't need any advance metrics to demonstrate the guy hardly produces and plays way too much.

2. Instead of playing Rodney so many minutes, we should go to a 4 guard lineup and split time at the 5.

There are 5 on the court at a time (thank you for reminding me), so I would go something like this:

1: Lykes (30-35) and Wong (5-10)
2: DJ (30) and Wong (10)
3: Kam (30-35) and Bev (5-10)
4. Bev (15-20), Walker (10-15) and Stone (10-15)
5. Rodney (10-15), Sam (10-15) and Walker (10-15)

Please don't get hung up on the specific guard numbers, this is just for minutes.

I agree guards playing as Rodney sits the bench would make me feel better about our chances. I understand this is difficult for Coach L to do, especially with no roster depth (yeah don't go there) for several reasons including one I got attacked for affirmatively voicing.

Maybe I'm Debbie Downer today, but after seeing "semi formal maybe maybe oral commit in case coaches leave" Earl Timberlake fail to impress me this week in a whole game, I'm not sure I'm in favor of Coach L sticking around much longer.

It's Kenpom. Google Kenpom, find Miami, and click on it. You'll likely need to buy a subscription to see the player stats, which is well worth it for any college basketball fan.

Over the last 3 games, all against good competition, Beverly has played a total of 34 minutes. That's not L's fault - the kid has been unplayable. He has committed 9 fouls and 8 turnovers. Every other minute, he is committing a foul or turning the ball over. The kid has looked overmatched. Wong hasn't been much better.

We are already a top 25 offensive team, but a horrible defensive team, driven mostly by bottom-10 defensive rebounding.

Even if Beverly and Wong were playing reasonably well, substituting guards for bigs on a team that is already good offensively but horrible on the glass, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But when they're playing like complete trash, even less so.

Advertisement
We are already a top 25 offensive team, but a horrible defensive team, driven mostly by bottom-10 defensive rebounding.

Take out Rodney, play more guards. Defense will get much better because he is atrocious.

We’re on different pages.

Take out Rodney, play more guards. Defense will get much better because he is atrocious.

We’re on different pages.

Strongly disagree. We will get even more abused inside and on the boards if we sub in a 6 3 guy for a 7 footer.

Especially when the guards we are subbing in stink defensively, as our freshmen do.

Advertisement
Like it or not Rodney is going to play at least 20 minutes a game. Looks like they had Sam play outside a lot more in the Illinois game. That fits his skill set more than being a banger inside.

Advertisement
Back