December 14th 2019, Alabama A&M at Miami game info and pregame predictions. Game thread if you want it also.

Advertisement
My stance on him was while he can shoot, I thought he was just to streaky to not be able to really do anything else. Well, He has been consistent from deep all year so far and has been putting the ball on the court and finishing with that ugly lil floater.

DJ's the poster child for having 4th year seniors. Massive athletic limitations, but over his 4 years he's developed exactly the right skills necessary to be a good player on this team.

DJ's the poster child for having 4th year seniors. Massive athletic limitations, but over his 4 years he's developed exactly the right skills necessary to be a good player on this team.
Exactly the type coach L has been known to recruit.

I may be off, but besides the FBI stuff, part off me thinks Lonnie and Bruce Brown may have set us back with the way L recruits. Hindsight, I would still sign those guys, but if we brought in 2 guards not looking to be 1 and done, then those two would be a Sr and Jr this year. With good progression like DJ we wouldn't have to rely on green freshmans off the bench and would be sitting decent depth wise.

Advertisement
DJ and Kam were 14-21 for 38 points.

You're sacrificing offense for...

Wait, no. You're not sacrificing offense for anything, because Walker stinks defensively.

Walker would get similarly abused and not contribute on the other end. At least DJ and Kam can score.

I wasn't saying you take DJ or Kam out for him. I'm saying if you're running a 4 guard lineup, its real easy to get your only big switched off theirs. If you have 2 bigger bodies in the game, you won't get caught in that mismatch nearly as much.

Exactly the type coach L has been known to recruit.

I may be off, but besides the FBI stuff, part off me thinks Lonnie and Bruce Brown may have set us back with the way L recruits. Hindsight, I would still sign those guys, but if we brought in 2 guards not looking to be 1 and done, then those two would be a Sr and Jr this year. With good progression like DJ we wouldn't have to rely on green freshmans off the bench and would be sitting decent depth wise.

I wholeheartedly agree. L learned the hard way that big time recruits aren't a cure all. Only like 2 one and done teams have ever won the title, and we'll never recruit on that level consistently enough to make it work. But Virigina, Villanova, UNC, and UConn have all recently won titles with teams that were filled with high 4* recruits who stayed 3/4 years because they weren't QUITE good enough to leave early. That's the model we should be shooting for, and that seems to be the profile Jim's been looking for the last 2 years.

Similarly, just because some low 3* can't handle the ACC in year 1, by his junior year he'll probably have figured things out. And if he leaves early on because he isn't playing much, you're no worse off than you would have been if you had just left the spot open.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
A few things on the game:

1. Our strength...the guards. The guards combined for 67 points. The magic number is 65 or more and they did it again. The obvious key to success.

2. Bev really needs to play 20 MPG or more. When he plays 20 MPG or more, he averages 12 PPG, 3.2 APG and 2.4 RPG. This kid is one of the reasons we should be in a 4 guard lineup the majority of the game.

3. DJ really is getting better and better from 3PTL. He goes 5-6 after going 6-9 against ILL. In his last 4 games, he is 14-22 (63.6%). For the season, DJ is 51.8% or 31st in the nation. I think the goal should be to get him 7-8 attempts from 3PTL/game.

4. Sam played really well for his second straight game. This time he had 11 Points and 9 Rebounds in 29 Minutes.

Here are his last four games:

AAMU: 29 Minutes, 11 Points and 9 Rebounds
ILL: 31 Minutes, 12 Points and 8 Rebounds
Conn: 23 Minutes, 6 Points and 5 Rebounds
UF: 22 Minutes, 5 Points and 5 Rebounds

Averages: 26.25 MPG, 8.5 PPG and 6.8 RPG

Perhaps Sam's sweet spot is around 26 MPG.

A day before the game, Coach L never mentioned anything about having any health issues but he had back spasms before the game and he could not coach.

I like Coach Caputo and I think he is a very good recruiter. I know Coach L is pushing for him to get a head coaching job so I do wonder if Coach L's "back spasms" were an opportunity for Coach Caputo to audition his coaching abilities.

I apologize for the conspiracy theory but Mark Richt tried something similar with his son and the head coaching position with the football team before he "unexpectedly" retired.

U mad?
Yeah, u mad.

It must suck to be so bitter and unfulfilled. Maybe you could make solid 6 figures coaching basketball if.... nahhhh

@Da_Lucky_One - Coach L would rather gouge his eyes out with a spoon than voluntarily give up the opportunity to coach his team in a game.
Coach L loves Chris because he is a great coach and person... but L is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM sitting out a game to help Chris get a HC gig.

I’m selfishly hoping Chris sticks around one more year because continuity will be important to making next year as exciting as it has the potential to be.
Coach L rarely sets expectations and EVEN HE is talking up the potential for next year’s team. He doesn’t have unlimited years left in his career, he came to Miami to win a championship, and I think he sees next year’s team as having the potential to be the best he’s coached. There are lots of variables... but real cause for excitement.

Advertisement
Back