DeeJay Dallas

Rushing - 109 carries for 617 yds, 5.7 avg, long 83 yds, 6 TD, 4 fum

Receiving - 10 rec for 87 yds, 8.5 avg, Long 26, 0 TD

Punt returns - 11 for 191 yds, 17.3 avg, 1 TD

KO returns - 17 for 367 yds, 21.6 avg, 0 TD

Lamical Perine

Rushing - 134 carries for 826 yds, 6.2 avg, Long 74 yds, 7 TD, 0 fum

Receiving - 13 rec for 170 yds, 13.1 avg, Long 63, 1 TD

Looking at the numbers and watching the film neither back really sets themselves apart IMO.

Perine is a tough back and benefited from a stout UF o line. He was utilized in a slightly more dynamic fashion in the pass game, although most of his yards came on a couple swing passes against Vandy. He got a lot of goal line touches and scored a lot of his TDs in the red zone and goal line situations. His most impressive run was probably the TD against Michigan. I don't count that broken play against FSU as anything special. He broke the edge and not a soul was within 25 yards of him. Perine has excellent ball security thus far in his career.

Dallas is equally, if not more, shifty and slightly faster. He gets props for being explosive and creative enough with the ball in his hands to work on the kick teams and be successful but he is no Devin Hester. He's has some issues with fumbles that he will need correct to keep his starting job.

Advertisement
Advertisement
all things pretty equal, i'll take our guy

could do the same thread wtih jeff thomas and kadarius toney. essentially the same player. our guy every time

Dallas had a QB who most 14U teams would not fear so he faced stacked boxes all year

Not sure Taco Hotdog was striking fear into the hearts of the defenses they faced either. I'm sure their opponents were also geared up to stop the run.

To be clear I like Dallas's potential more. We have a nice interior line that will hopefully give him some space this season and I expect Perine to have considerably less favorable running conditions this season.

all things pretty equal, i'll take our guy

could do the same thread wtih jeff thomas and kadarius toney. essentially the same player. our guy every time
Toney is not essentially the same player as Thomas. Thomas is much more gifted and adept in route running. Toney can be an explosive player but his route running is not good. Imo Toney is an athlete that is just playing receiver. He can do some things though

Last edited:
Advertisement
Didn’t Deejay play at 270 pounds last year compared to 210 this year? It want all good weight either. I also second the post about the QB not being intimidating which causes defenses to cheat in or all out stack the box. Finally, Deejay picked up all of those yards despite only running in 3 designed plays all preceded by the “bird man flapping his wings” snap count. I can’t imagine that we look the same this year and will have many more plays to draw from to make the run more successful in the face of last years’ disappointment. And I guess that we can also kiss the fullback dive on third/fourth and short goodbye too.

Advertisement
Toney is not essentially the same player as Thomas. Thomas is much more gifted and adept in route running. Toney can be an explosive player but his route running is not good. Imo Toney is an athlete that is just playing receiver. He can do some things though

meh. watch both of their 2018 highlight videos. essentially the same skill set. JT does excel more at receiver

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back