Deadspin: Defending Ruiz and trashing the NCAA

Advertisement
This article articulates that the NCAA has a major image problem (to put it mildly). My guess is that this will not be the last article we read that will not only echo the same sentiment, but go further that the NCAA clearly has favorites, which this article lightly touched on.

Hit on some major issues of the NCAA, they had every chance to get out in front of NIL and make universal guidelines and they chose instead to fight it out in court, waste millions in litigation and lose.

They sat on their hands and now need to look like they’re doing something and chose Miami instead of Tennessee and A&M for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rule number 1, never take me seriously or literally

Deadspin was pretty good a while back. Once they went full on left wing I moved on.

It’s not so much that they went full leftie, it’s more like they lost their edge. They lost what made them unique, and they lost their humor as well. When you become strident, no matter your affiliation, you become boring. It’s sports after all. But at least thank God for this article anyway.

Advertisement
Of course it does. The NCAA is much more than just football and helps many people get a shot at a better future through athletics than just those playing this sport.

This is 100% true, but football (March madness also) is the money maker. They are serving an important function for the non-revenue sports. As far as football though, they have totally face planted.

Advertisement
It’s not so much that they went full leftie, it’s more like they lost their edge. They lost what made them unique, and they lost their humor as well. When you become strident, no matter your affiliation, you become boring. It’s sports after all. But at least thank God for this article anyway.
You literally described going full leftie.

This is 100% true, but football (March madness also) is the money maker. They are serving an important function for the non-revenue sports. As far as football though, they have totally face planted.

Agree. I'd say it mimics politics. Rather than do what's best for all, people inside the NCAA caved and those with the money and power got what they wanted for so long, I'm not sure it's all recoverable without it crumbling first. IMO, an NCAA 2 or whatever it'll be called would be a plus.

Finally, a perspective that scores one for the good guys …..

Great article and it clearly illustrates that the NCAA doesn't know the rules, and that they are trying to maintain their power. For years the NCAA has allowed the $EC to run wild on recruiting and under the previous President of the NCAA (a man with strong L$U ties), he didn't even look at them. Now that they feel power slipping away, they go after Miami. How about starting with Jimbo Fisher or Nick Saban? It's time for the NCAA to go away and the 5 major conferences to form their own organization. Finally, Ruiz is bright, an attorney and he knows the rules, I'm not worried about UM.

This article is living proof that even a blind squirrel can find a nut. Good lord has Deadspin become a joke of a publication. I'm convinced that they don't even hire people that like sports, because they put out some of the least researched, worst sourced stuff out there.

Advertisement
Back