DE Rousseau will sign early, recaps visit

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Canes defensive end commit Gregory Rousseau of Champagnat Catholic was another commit who visited this weekend. He was especially happy to be around his future teammates who he had not previously spent much time around.

“It was good getting around guys like Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory – guys who aren’t from down here,” Rousseau said.

The 6-6, 225-pound defender says he is all set to sign and enroll early at the University of Miami.

“I’ll be able to get extra practices in during the spring and I’ll be able to get bigger,” he said. “And I’ll be able to get an early start on my academic career too so I can be closer to my degree by the end.”

One thing that caught Rousseau’s eye was the presentation that Gus Felder gave.

“Coach Felder is a really cool guy. He showed us a slideshow of pictures with guys like Jeff Thomas, who put on like 25 pounds. He showed us Mark Walton and Deejay Dallas pictures too, so I can tell he does work,” Rousseau said about his future strength and condition coach.

Canes D-Line coach Craig Kuligowski envisions Rousseau as a hybrid prospect who will be able to create havoc in passing situations.

“He sees me as a third-down pass rusher – not that I’ll only be used then, but that’s when they can move me around,” Rousseau said of his expected role. “I can’t wait to get in there and start working with him.”

Rousseau said he’s weighing around 225 pounds, but that number might be closer to 230 after this weekend.

“It was cool because I’m never around the beach like we were this weekend. I ate lobster, bacon-wrapped shrimp, steak, mac-and-cheese – so we were eating good.”

He will sign with Miami on Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Love Rousseau’s upside. Another Kul kid who will be playing on Sundays.

Advertisement
Really excited for this dude. If he can put on 15 before the season then definitely will have early impact

Pure athlete. If Jason Taylor can play in the NFL at 245, this kid can play in college at 230. And I love the plan on how they’re going to use him.

Advertisement
He’ll be used like FSU uses Brian Burns. They are **** near the same size and build.

I wouldn’t shirt him. I’d play him in spots like Garvin did last year.

Lawson was probably at his best in coverage and as an off ball LB. Seems to be Rousseau's best comparison at the moment.

Rousseau's fluidity and movement at that height is really impressive. The question with him at DE is going to be leverage and how consistently he can generate power as a pass rusher.

Advertisement
I'm really excited about the potential of Rousseau. I'm even more excited about having a staff that will make sure every ounce of his potential will be pulled out.

Pure athlete. If Jason Taylor can play in the NFL at 245, this kid can play in college at 230. And I love the plan on how they’re going to use him.

Taylor was way skinnier than Rousseau when he got to Akron.

Rousseau will be plenty big enough. Size is not going to be an impediment to him winning.

Rousseau looked bigger than expected at Paradise Camp. He's lanky but not skinny.

My vision for him is Dion Jordan at Oregon. A long athlete that can play in space and rush.

Advertisement
Rousseau looked bigger than expected at Paradise Camp. He's lanky but not skinny.

My vision for him is Dion Jordan at Oregon. A long athlete that can play in space and rush.

Lanky was a word they used to describe Ted Hendricks.

Good to get him in early. It benefitted JoJo and Garvin. Rousseau may be in line for some serious playtime next year.

Not going to redshirt. The way we are bringing in top d ends and the way they are producing, guys might not be here more than 3 years. Jackson is gone after next year, joe Jackson could be gone with a big year, garvin could be gone after 3, patchan etc. and usually kids who enroll early like him don’t redshirt.

I doubt we see him doing anything but playing d end. Not going to cover, except on a rare occasion.

I'm excited because I know how incredibly skilled and fast this kid is. More excited because we are stacking elite talent unlike the recent past. I don't think we'll surprise anybody next year, but I think people will be impressed with how much better we are than this year.

Advertisement
Back