DE Romello Height visiting this weekend

View as article
That we have whiffed on some portal targets? No, the fact that I only commented on 3 from list should imply that I agree with rest of his list.

My point is that walkons shouldn’t be counted a whiffs because they cost nothing.
Whiffed on some is the exact understatement that is being addressed. We have hit on some and the hits have been more like soft taps.

Advertisement
Sorry but walkons (Burroughs, Big Lou) shouldn't be counted. If you hit its like found money, if not no harm.

Also Roberts was here for what a spring? If I remember right he was coming to be a special teamer. Guess technically he could be a whiff since he never made past spring practice.
Big Lou started the bowl game and every practice this spring so he’s “found money”….

Unfortunately, the money is the Iranian Rial

The narrative that Mario doesn’t recruit the portal well needs to end. He brought in Mesidor, Parish, Porter, Agude (made a solid impact), Jackson, Cohen, Lee, Mauigoa, Deen, Brown, Richard and Allen, who have all been great additions to the team and made an impact. In 2024, he brought in Ward, Carpenter, Clark, Alston, Riley, Powell and Cook. 4 out of those 6 guys will likely be starters. Just because these guys may not be the “All Americans” of the world, doesn’t mean that Mario didn’t utilize the portal well. The portal is largely used to add depth and fill holes in the roster. Mario’s priority will always be high school recruiting, that will never change

Also, I don’t necessarily agree with this take either. But theres got to be a reason we are entertaining this kid. The staff likely see’s something we don’t. They aren’t inviting him for a visit just for ***** and giggles

The point isn’t that he doesn’t bring in “good” players. Outside Lee, Cohen, Maguioa who has he brought in that's been actually great?

TrumpyCane thinks the point is instead of bringing in Mesidor, what if he got Jared Verse?

Instead of getting Parrish, imagine he got Benson instead

Etc etc

Advertisement
The point isn’t that he doesn’t bring in “good” players. Outside Lee, Cohen, Maguioa who has he brought in that's been actually great?

TrumpyCane thinks the point is instead of bringing in Mesidor, what if he got Jared Verse?

Etc etc
Hmmmmh ....

Etc etc
Mesidor was probably viewed as a higher ranked transfer at the time than Verse tbh.
Daryl Porter has been quite good for us. Is he a great player overall? Probably not, but what makes a guy great vs good? Will he ever be elite? No, but he can be great for us this season.
He brought in Cam Ward, which should earn quite a **** load of credit.
Meesh Powell is likely to play great for us....

Don’t see a need for him at all. DT? Yes because there’s no top guy right now. Edge at least has Bain and Mesidor(good player if healthy) plus I’m high on Lightfoot as a freshman and the Marshall transfer.

Advertisement
why do people bring up lou cristobal when he's not even on a scholarship?
are we sure? a lot of times they get converted after a semester. I personally dont care if hes taking a ship or not as long as he isnt playing over guys who should play. I care when we bring in another dude at a position where we have young talent and depth ignoring other needs

Sorry but walkons (Burroughs, Big Lou) shouldn't be counted. If you hit its like found money, if not no harm.

Also Roberts was here for what a spring? If I remember right he was coming to be a special teamer. Guess technically he could be a whiff since he never made past spring practice.
I think that’s fair but for Burroughs, he wasn’t really considered a walk on. He was a special case where if he stayed out of trouble, was going to earn a scholarship and provide a significant impact for us. We were counting on him at the DT position big time since Deen was gone, LT was likely leaving and JHH was up in the air. He was a very significant addition.

Lou like I said, doesn’t matter. He’s not here on scholarship and wasn’t expected to compete for a starting role.

I think that’s fair but for Burroughs, he wasn’t really considered a walk on. He was a special case where if he stayed out of trouble, was going to earn a scholarship and provide a significant impact for us. We were counting on him at the DT position big time since Deen was gone, LT was likely leaving and JHH was up in the air. He was a very significant addition.

Lou like I said, doesn’t matter. He’s not here on scholarship and wasn’t expected to compete for a starting role.

I can see your point but I’m not sure how long he was counted on and I think that also matters.

If I remember the timeline correctly, Burroughs joined the team at end of fall camp (late august) and first reports of about him not returning came out towards the end of the season. By bowl practices he was generally talked about in the past tense. I get the sense the coaches saw early on he wasn’t going to be worth the trouble so the (risk free) gamble they took.

If that timeline and assessment is accurate then coaches knew well going into ESD and the December Transfer period that he was gone then that shouldn’t have hampered with them finding a replacement.

But of course if his presence and reported fight with Matt Lee led to Lee leaving early or cost Miami a recruit somehow then yeah that makes him a major whiff.

Advertisement
I can see your point but I’m not sure how long he was counted on and I think that also matters.

If I remember the timeline correctly, Burroughs joined the team at end of fall camp (late august) and first reports of about him not returning came out towards the end of the season. By bowl practices he was generally talked about in the past tense. I get the sense the coaches saw early on he wasn’t going to be worth the trouble so the (risk free) gamble they took.

If that timeline and assessment is accurate then coaches knew well going into ESD and the December Transfer period that he was gone then that shouldn’t have hampered with them finding a replacement.

But of course if his presence and reported fight with Matt Lee led to Lee leaving early or cost Miami a recruit somehow then yeah that makes him a major whiff.
he was given up on bc of the disciplinary issues. he was def being counted on before that

"Big Lou started every practice this spring"

where was that reported? Haven't seen it.
In all the practice reports here and on ITU he has ran with the first team, atleast for the media viewing portion. In any event it’s a joke so not that serious

In all the practice reports here and on ITU he has ran with the first team, atleast for the media viewing portion. In any event it’s a joke so not that serious
Maybe I miss it but I don't recall a single report that said he has stated every practice.
Has he taken snaps sure but that's a big difference from starting.

Advertisement

Believe 247:stated Samson started at LG for the scrimmage.

Personally I think it Samson’s to lose and if they aren’t comfortable for whatever reason they will go portal shopping.

Miami has gone all in this season, no way Mario starts his nephew at LG.

Believe 247:stated Samson started at LG for the scrimmage.

Personally I think it Samson’s to lose and if they aren’t comfortable for whatever reason they will go portal shopping.

Miami has gone all in this season, no way Mario starts his nephew at LG.
Oh yeah I’m under no illusion that he’s going to be playing next year outside of blowouts. If not, then things have gone wrong with injuries. I think he’s playing now due to Francis being out and McCoy playing RT. It will be between McCoy and Sampson for LG in the fall.

disciplinary matters?? Is D$ trying to prepare us for something?

1712596861366.png

Pretty quiet on this front…did they not like what their saw in person? Or just tight-lipped for the sake of it?

Advertisement
Back