DE Quentin Williams sets April visit, puts UM in top 3

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Mallard Creek (NC) 3-star DE Quentin Williams was on the phone with coaches Manny Diaz and Jon Patke 2 months back when he found out that he had landed an offer from the Miami Hurricanes.

“I was on the phone with coach Diaz and coach Patke and they told me I had an offer,” Williams said. “It was shocking and a dream come true.”

For Williams, the offer from the Canes meant a little bit more to a kid that grew up a Miami fan in North Carolina.

“My interest is very high,” Williams said of UM. “Miami football, my dad raised me like that. So, I've been a fan for years.”

As a fan, Williams is well-aware of UM’s struggles in 2018 and offered his thoughts on what Miami needs to do to improve in Diaz’s first season as head coach.

“They need to just get better on offense,” Williams said. “Stay consistent on D and special teams and they’ll be fine.”

The next step for Williams is to take a trip down to Coral Gables, and he’s already set a visit for April 15th to get more comfortable with the coaches and take in the campus.

“I’m looking forward to getting familiar with the staff,” Williams said. “We haven't met in person yet, so I want to see how things happen once they see me in person.”

As of now, Miami is looking at the 6’3” 230 pound prospect as a defensive end in their scheme, and that seems to fit Williams just fine as a long athlete that is still growing into his frame.

“They see me as a pass rusher, a guy that gets to the QB,” Williams said.

As for other programs, Williams has been a frequent visitor to UNC, and has future trips set to both VT and Tennessee. He also wants to visit Louisville, App St., and West Virginia as well. Despite interest from all of these suitors though, Williams feels the Canes are squarely among his early leaders.

“I’ve been to UNC a lot, I'm real familiar with them,” Williams said. “VT is pushing hard. Tennessee, Louisville, App St., West Virginia too. If I had to name a top 3, though, it would be UNC, VT, and Miami right now.”

Despite helping lead Mallard Creek to an undefeated regular season, Williams and the Mavericks were surprisingly knocked out of the first round of the 4AA state playoffs against Hough. For his senior year, Williams is looking to bounce back from 2018’s disappointment and help guide his team to a state title.

“We lost in 1st round of playoffs so not good,” Williams said. “Personally, I did ok, came on late. I’m ready to dominate this season.”

To focus on that goal, Williams is planning to make a commitment before his senior season begins so he can devote all his energy to his team in 2019.

“I want to make a decision by July or August,” Williams said. “I’m looking for a great fit, where I feel comfortable being for 3 or 4 years. I want to win.”

Advertisement
what is the edge rusher board looking like?

This kid, Kinsler, Chantz (longshot), Stewart, Harrell, Roberts, Anaele...anyone else? How do we stack it?

Advertisement
2020 Mallard Creek (NC) 3-star DE Quentin Williams was on the phone with coaches Manny Diaz and Jon Patke 2 months back when he found out that he had landed an offer from the Miami Hurricanes.

“I was on the phone with coach Diaz and coach Patke and they told me I had an offer,” Williams said. “It was shocking and a dream come true.”

For Williams, the offer from the Canes meant a little bit more to a kid that grew up a Miami fan in North Carolina.

“My interest is very high,” Williams said of UM. “Miami football, my dad raised me like that. So, I've been a fan for years.”

As a fan, Williams is well-aware of UM’s struggles in 2018 and offered his thoughts on what Miami needs to do to improve in Diaz’s first season as head coach.

“They need to just get better on offense,” Williams said. “Stay consistent on D and special teams and they’ll be fine.”

The next step for Williams is to take a trip down to Coral Gables, and he’s already set a visit for April 15th to get more comfortable with the coaches and take in the campus.

“I’m looking forward to getting familiar with the staff,” Williams said. “We haven't met in person yet, so I want to see how things happen once they see me in person.”

As of now, Miami is looking at the 6’3” 230 pound prospect as a defensive end in their scheme, and that seems to fit Williams just fine as a long athlete that is still growing into his frame.

“They see me as a pass rusher, a guy that gets to the QB,” Williams said.

As for other programs, Williams has been a frequent visitor to UNC, and has future trips set to both VT and Tennessee. He also wants to visit Louisville, App St., and West Virginia as well. Despite interest from all of these suitors though, Williams feels the Canes are squarely among his early leaders.

“I’ve been to UNC a lot, I'm real familiar with them,” Williams said. “VT is pushing hard. Tennessee, Louisville, App St., West Virginia too. If I had to name a top 3, though, it would be UNC, VT, and Miami right now.”

Despite helping lead Mallard Creek to an undefeated regular season, Williams and the Mavericks were surprisingly knocked out of the first round of the 4AA state playoffs against Hough. For his senior year, Williams is looking to bounce back from 2018’s disappointment and help guide his team to a state title.

“We lost in 1st round of playoffs so not good,” Williams said. “Personally, I did ok, came on late. I’m ready to dominate this season.”

To focus on that goal, Williams is planning to make a commitment before his senior season begins so he can devote all his energy to his team in 2019.

“I want to make a decision by July or August,” Williams said. “I’m looking for a great fit, where I feel comfortable being for 3 or 4 years. I want to win.”

Thanks for the article Stefan! This kid looks like a keeper. I hope he commits to us.

Looks like a nice talent with upside. He's got that natural bend around the edge that you can't teach

Advertisement
Yep.

I trust that we'll be aggressive on offense now with Enos here.

Hope we choose to get more aggressive on STs, too - like going for the blocks which used to be a staple of Miami football.

As for Williams, the Carolinas produce a lot of good players.

Berrios (NC) and Rocky McIntosh (SC) may be our best 2 from the area.

If this kid is that good, I hope we nab him, too.

We do NOT need to stay consistent on special teams.

They’re a powerhouse up here. The west side of the state normally dominates the 4AA classification. Which is the biggest and what they are.
They are a newer powerhouse, used to be Independence, but yes Mallard Creek balls out, they had Randy Moss's son. Hickory Ridge, Butler, Charlotte Christian, and others put out some decent talent. You also get some random highly ranked kid out of like Concord HS or Central Cabarrus or like Sam Howell out of Sun Valley.

Advertisement
They are a newer powerhouse, used to be Independence, but yes Mallard Creek balls out, they had Randy Moss's son. Hickory Ridge, Butler, Charlotte Christian, and others put out some decent talent. You also get some random highly ranked kid out of like Concord HS or Central Cabarrus or like Sam Howell out of Sun Valley.

Very true. Independence was before my time. In my high school days it was Butler every year, with an occasional Greensboro Page. I also feel like Mallard Creek is the clemson of 5 years ago. Stacked with talent and always underachieves

Advertisement
His HC was my Coach in high school. He is from Hollywood. We look to be leaders here and i think we land this kid if we push. Film looks good as **** too
Film looks good and he shows strength too. A good rep with this school would be beneficial as well

Advertisement
Back