2023 DE Jayden Wayne (Commits to the Canes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Cane Gang

Sophomore

6-6 215 out of Lincoln HS in Washington

Play DE and WR so that just shows his athletic ability

EAh0L9cU4AAGbnN

Mario offered him before he even played a HS game.

Shows good pass rushing skills, and can also stop the run

It will be interesting to see how big he actually gets

Could be similar to Calais

Advertisement
During the season his recruitment has kinda been at a stalemate. All of his WR highlights were when he played JV for the 1st half of the year.

Plays for one of the better programs in Washington.

Just watched this kids highlights bc he is coming to visit in January.

Someone tell me why this kid is a 5star? He looks like a low 4, high 3 star to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The first recruit to announce that they would be attending Mario Cristobal's 'Elite Prospect Day' at Miami on Jan. 22 was Tacoma (Wash) Lincoln five-star defensive lineman Jayden Wayne. It's the only trip that he has planned out at this point.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pounder has been building a relationship with Cristobal and his staff, including defensive line coach Joe Salave'a, since July 2019, when Oregon became the first school to offer.

"I'm feeling excited. Excited to get back down there," Wayne told InsideTheU over the phone Tuesday night. "They're like family to me. We've built a close bond and I trust them."

The No. 5 defensive lineman in the Class of 2023, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, is hearing from the staff daily at this point.
"They text me like every day. Coach Cristobal and Joe [Salave'a]. They keep saying I'm their top priority. They really want me," Wayne said.

Salave'a has been a big part of Wayne's recruitment since the infant stages. The future Hurricanes defensive line coach is held in high regard by the All-American Bowl commit.

"He's good at developing players and his energy, the way he coaches, the way he talks. He's confident and he wants to win," Wayne said.
When the blue-chipper touches down in South Florida, it won't be his first time around the program. Wayne was one of the headliners of Miami's Paradise Camp over the summer. He was spotted talking with Miami legends Calais Campbell and Jon Beason while on Greentree.
The two-sport athlete, who also gets it done on the hardwood, draws comparisons to All-Pro defensive end Chandler Jones from 247Sports analyst Brandon Huffman.

I just watched 45 seconds of tape and can tell you why he is a 5 star”
Height
Length
Speed
Athleticism

Looks like a sure fire WDE, and he is athletic enough to play wide receiver. There are very, very few people in the country who have this young man’s frame, speed, and athleticism to play D-end and WR. And that combo makes him a 5 star. Think Javon Kearshe or Brian Burns measureables. He would be a tremendously athletic piece for that class.

The last recruit of ours to play d-end and receiver was someone named Rousseau.

My question to him is what position do you want to play in college. I don‘t see him as a WR in college but he’s a TE all day if he wants to be. If I was this young man I would research whether TE or D-end has a higher average salary in the NFL and ask to play that position in college. Or play d-end full time and play some goal line situations split wide for jump balls. He’s winning the jump ball every time. He also plays basketball. This guy is a superior athlete. Maybe more athletic than Rousseau if not as long.

Advertisement
Insane athlete, insane length, insane closing speed and is 6’4 240+ at 16-17 years old. Idc about the 5* ranking, but he is the type that we need to stack up on.
He has length, but that's really all I saw TBH.

Is he a take? Sure, obviously. Is he a 5 star? No

I don't see any explosiveness from the DE position. He get engaged by HS OLmen, and then sheds the blocks and uses his length to make tackles. And that is his highlight reel?

Idk, I just don't see it.

I just watched 45 seconds of tape and can tell you why he is a 5 star”
Height
Length
Speed
Athleticism

Looks like a sure fire WDE, and he is athletic enough to play wide receiver. There are very, very few people in the country who have this young man’s frame, speed, and athleticism to play D-end and WR. And that combo makes him a 5 star. Think Javon Kearshe or Brian Burns measureables. He would be a tremendously athletic piece for that class.

The last recruit of ours to play d-end and receiver was someone named Rousseau.
GR15 was a 3 star.

At WR, all he did was catch a few screens and take them for 10 yard gains. Why were those even on his reel? He is NOT a WR at the P5 level.

I saw no speed. I saw no bend from the DE position. I saw no burst. I saw nothing to warrant a 5 star.

High 3 star, IMO.

Advertisement
My question to him is what position do you want to play in college. I don‘t see him as a WR in college but he’s a TE all day if he wants to be. If I was this young man I would research whether TE or D-end has a higher average salary in the NFL and ask to play that position in college. Or play d-end full time and play some goal line situations split wide for jump balls. He’s winning the jump ball every time. He also plays basketball. This guy is a superior athlete. Maybe more athletic than Rousseau if not as long.
He is a 4 star TE imo. Not scared to go over the middle, good enough hands.

To me, that is his $$ position.

If he needs to look up the average salary of DE vs. TE he might need to get his head checked (DE's are paid double on average)

Looks like a pretty good prospect to me, but I’m kind of a sucker for top 10 draft pick type frames on a pass rusher, admittedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back