DE commit Garvin excited about 2017 class

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
JGarvin.jpg

(photo courtesy of PrepBuilders)

Lake Worth defensive end Jonathan Garvin committed to Miami a little over a month ago. Garvin’s high school season got off to a blazing start as he recorded seven sacks and an interception against Glades Central (whose QB James Blackman is an FSU commit) in the preseason classic.

The 6-4, 225-pound rush end seems to have taken the next step on the field this season.

“I feel like I’ve improved in every aspect that I needed to,” Garvin said. “I’m trying to be virtually perfect. That’s what my goal is and that’s what my goal has been.”

Despite now garnering some extra attention from opposing offenses, Garvin is prepared to see different looks.

“I practice being double-teamed and getting blocked by the running back. They kept throwing the ball because they wanted to have a passing attack and it made it so easy for me. There still hasn’t really been a team we’ve played that can stop me from getting back there, especially not consistently,” Garvin said.

“They’re running the ball away from me and I still have good stats. I’m doing what I want and what I want is to have a great year,” he added.

Garvin just turned 17 two months ago and believes that he is still growing. He currently stands at 6’4” and weighs around 225 pounds, but he said that he is projected to be as tall as 6-foot-7.

Miami’s early success on the field has caught Garvin’s attention, especially at his future position group at defensive line.

“I’m very excited about them and being able to see the results of their training and field work with Coach Kool. It’s great to see that they’re hungry and determined,” he said.

“When I join them next year and get there with D.J. (Johnson), it’s going to be even more tackles for loss,” Garvin added.

The Lake Worth High School prospect thinks that his future position coach Craig Kuligowksi will have a major impact on him.

“I think he will influence my whole game. He’s going to kick up the instincts when I’m in practice. He’s going to help me with that a lot and he’s going to teach me to distinguish a trick play from a run play or a pass play and be able to react on it a lot faster. Probably more than anything, he will probably help my run-stopping skills,” Garvin explained.

One of Miami’s most recent commitments, Garvin gave his thoughts on the Canes’ 2017 recruiting class.

“It’s just a dominant class. It’s dominant all over. Each player that’s committed is that one person each team is watching on film and saying ‘ok we have to find a way to get away from him.”

When asked if there was any prospect that he wanted to join the class, Garvin answered Booker T. Washington offensive lineman Kadeem Telfort, who is currently committed to the Gators.

SEASON STATS: 39 tackles, 24 TFLs, 5 sacks, 1 blocked field goal, 2 PBU

Note: The 7-sack game was in a preseason exhibition, so it is not on the official record for his statistics.

Last edited:
Advertisement
DJ Johnson, Garvin, and Joe Jackson are going to make sure that the canes will be just fine at DE the next three years. What a time.

This kid is going to be something else. He's not the only stud that's going to be singing Coach Kool's praises. Look at our DL 6mnths into his coaching. Big Pimpin on the DL for the foreseeable future down in the Gables. QB's will be coming just so they don't end up looking across the LOS at monsters like Garvin and DJ.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
2 things:

1. Most underrated player in this class. Massive potential.

2. He's spot on about Telfort. Need him in this class

Advertisement
So fun to enjoy our defense being on the field. It's been years since I can sat that. This D is going to be absolutely insane in 2-3 years. Think about the DL talent with the 3 freshman lb's we have now with Jobe, Blades, Henderson etc. It just won't be fair.

Advertisement
So fun to enjoy our defense being on the field. It's been years since I can sat that. This D is going to be absolutely insane in 2-3 years. Think about the DL talent with the 3 freshman lb's we have now with Jobe, Blades, Henderson etc. It just won't be fair.
TRUTH!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Also Frierson, Bandy, Ivey, Gibson, Edwards and maybe Carter and Gurvan Hall etc......The bottom line here gentlemen is that things are about to get really fun! For us! Not so much for our opponents. It's coming guys, it's coming.

Advertisement

Also Frierson, Bandy, Ivey, Gibson, Edwards and maybe Carter and Gurvan Hall etc......The bottom line here gentlemen is that things are about to get really fun! For us! Not so much for our opponents. It's coming guys, it's coming.

I've said it numerous times. There is no way Miami can ***** up the DB depth with a competent staff. 2018 is absolutely the most loaded year at the position. Top to bottom. We have to get the best ones because there will be good ones that get away due to numbers.

2 things:

1. Most underrated player in this class. Massive potential.

2. He's spot on about Telfort. Need him in this class

Yes and yes.

Telfort has made a big step in his progression this year. Reshaped his frame too. Much leaner compared to two years ago. Kid is towering at 6'7". Mom wants him home, Richt has to reel em in.

That 7 sack, pick 6 performance in the kickoff classic was against James Blackman and Glades Central... What makes it better? Blackman is committed to FSU. Sure that will put a smile on some faces.

Advertisement
Back