*** DC/LB Coach WATCH Thread ***

Advertisement
I honestly believe manny is going to promote Jess Simpson to DC next season(talking about 22) That’s the only thing that makes sense unless it’s TROB.

with manny tho you never know. Interesting to watch going forward.
Did TRob call defense at South Carolina?

I honestly believe manny is going to promote Jess Simpson to DC next season(talking about 22) That’s the only thing that makes sense unless it’s TROB.

with manny tho you never know. Interesting to watch going forward.

The thing that could make sense is to get a high profile DC like Muschump, Steele, or Skrong as 1 year rentals. Bring in T-Will as LB coach. Move Patke to analyst. If they have success as DCs at Miami (let's say Miami makes it to the playoffs), they will have NFL DC jobs and plenty of CFB HC jobs waiting for them. After they move on in 2022, Simpson could move to DC and Patke can go back to an assistant coach.

Advertisement
I believe he did. I’m sure muschamp had his hand in there. I know he ain’t coming here because TRob sounded like he was trying to get out of his shadow
I’m looking a year or two ahead. Could DC be passed to TRob?

Advertisement
Do we have enough on-field spots for a new backers and DC coach? Feel like it has to be one or the other. In that scenario, I think it's most prudent to hire the best LB possible and have Shoop assist from his analyst spot. If it works, awesome, and you can make Shoop the full-time DC next year. If it flops you go out and hire a top DC next year
This makes sense to me. Plus Manny gets to gauge Shoop’s interest from the analyst role for potentially the DC in 2022. If he doesn’t work out, Michigan paid the majority of his earnings anyway and Manny finds a new DC next year.

The thing that could make sense is to get a high profile DC like Muschump, Steele, or Skrong as 1 year rentals. Bring in T-Will as LB coach. Move Patke to analyst. If they have success as DCs at Miami (let's say Miami makes it to the playoffs), they will have NFL DC jobs and plenty of CFB HC jobs waiting for them. After they move on in 2022, Simpson could move to DC and Patke can go back to an assistant coach.
People keep demoting Patke off the field. That ain't happening. Based on his description, he's the one that should go be a low G5 / FCS coordinator.

Diaz had 3 "proteges" over his career, Patke, Banda, Baker. One of those made it.

People keep demoting Patke off the field. That ain't happening. Based on his description, he's the one that should go be a low G5 / FCS coordinator.

Diaz had 3 "proteges" over his career, Patke, Banda, Baker. One of those made it.

Baker was a highly regarded G5 DC. He was looked at as a P5 DC for more programs besides Miami out of LA Tech. Thats nothing to be ashamed of. So he was where Banda currently is several years before Banda. That's two of three who had success at the FBS level. Patke is TBD. If he ends up as a DC (I can see him getting a G5 DC gig in couple of years) then that would be 3 of 3 Diaz proteges who became FBS DCs.

Last edited:
Advertisement

2/3 I would say. Baker already had his G5 DC job. He failed here, but did well at his other stops...still got hired by a quality P5 staff after failing here is good.

Baker was a highly regarded G5 DC. He was looked at as a P5 DC for more programs besides Miami out of LA Tech. Thats nothing to be ashamed of. So he was where Banda currently is several years before Banda. That's two of three who had success at the FBS level.

The official O/U for every mediocre team in ACC/SEC/B1G is set at 1.5 crappy seasons of Blake Baker over the next 25 years. If Manny's protege's don't Peter Principle themselves to at least that, we got a problem.

The official O/U for every mediocre team in ACC/SEC/B1G is set at 1.5 crappy seasons of Blake Baker over the next 25 years. If Manny's protege's don't Peter Principle themselves to at least that, we got a problem.

I don't get what point you are trying to make. Baker was Diaz's GA, then was a respected DC at La Tech for 3 years before coming to Miami. That's successful in my book. My guess is that Baker gets another G5 DC job in 2-3 years. Banda just got a G5 DC job. If Diaz has all three proteges with G5 DC jobs 3 years from now, you are going to say they were all failures?

Advertisement
I don't get what point you are trying to make. Baker was Diaz's GA, then was a respected DC at La Tech for 3 years before coming to Miami. That's successful in my book. My guess is that Baker gets another G5 DC job in 2-3 years. Banda just got a G5 DC job. If Diaz has all three proteges with G5 DC jobs 3 years from now, you are going to say they were all failures?

Why do you keep using the word failure? I essentially said Baker was going to be a P5 coordinator for the next 3 decades, do you consider that failure?

There's no shame in the Peter Principle. Inherent in it is that the only ones among us that don't get there some day are the ones without the balls or ambition. Baker's 38, and he hit it once. How old was Diaz when he hit his against BYU? I don't believe Baker has it, but still doesn't make it fair for you to get failure out of it.

Someone explain why Manny doesn’t just name Shoop DC.

TIA
1. If we give him an on field gig, his current contract with Michigan is voided.
2. We only have one on field gig left and manny wants to use it for a linebacker coach (shoop is also an awful recruiter).
3. Shoop was working remotely while at Michigan (possibly due to health reasons) so maybe he is not physically ready to become a DC
4. Being an analyst will help Manny with play call more than you think.

Advertisement
Back