Coaching DC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Either promote Charlie or go grab Leonhard who has no buyout no nothing… he’s a free agent

His defenses were always highly ranked and played sound defensive football. I’m more worried about getting the OC right

Rossi is great but I think he is in line for a HC job or a better DC job than Miami.

Joe Gillespie is the guy I would look for. Check out what TCU has done in the 2nd half of games this year.. they shut everyone down (yeah I know it’s been backups).

Halftime adjustments are high on my list of traits I look for in a coordinator.
Give me Gillespie

Advertisement
Money isn't the answer to every challenge. JT has stated many times that wants to coach full time. It's his passion. Canes potential DC might be in the building already... I wouldn't be opposed.
Joe Rose was campaigning for this on his show this morning. I'm admittedly intrigued.

Either promote Charlie or go grab Leonhard who has no buyout no nothing… he’s a free agent

His defenses were always highly ranked and played sound defensive football. I’m more worried about getting the OC right
the only valid reason i can think of that leonhard is still unemployed is that he's waiting until all nfl jobs are filled... that or he's got some issue that we fans are unaware of

Money isn't the answer to every challenge. JT has stated many times that wants to coach full time. It's his passion. Canes potential DC might be in the building already... I wouldn't be opposed.
If this was a seasoned HC that could make up for a green DC short comings it would be fine. But Mario got his own issues as we have seen on the field

SIAP but I wouldn’t mind taking a look at Kurt Maddix at San Diego State. Previously at Eastern Kentucky and his unit became one of the best in the Ohio Valley Conference under his watch.

“During his tenure at EKU, the Colonels ranked 24th in FCS play in defensive pass efficiency (120.4), 36th in defensive rush avg. (4.0) and 38th in total defense (360.9).”

His final season (2019), their defense was very good. Led the OVC in third down percentage (.310, 5th in FCS), fourth down percentage (.333, 7th in FCS), red zone percentage (.700, 11th in FCS), tackles for loss per game (7.9, 13th in FCS) and first downs allowed (205, 18th in FCS), while ranking second in scoring defense (20.6, 15th in FCS), rush defense (119.1, 15th in FCS) and total defense (325.3, 16th in FCS).

Jumped to SDSU and their defense hasn’t missed a beat. They finished third in the country in 2022 in terms of rushing defense, twelfth in total defense, and picked off 17 passes. Run D was good at EKU too - 2019 they held opponents under 100 yds rushing six times.

Also coaches linebackers. Seems like a very well-rounded and aggressive defense that maximizes pressure up front and allows DBs to thrive off that pressure. Can’t imagine he’s getting paid a whole lot, and there’s no marriage to a particular school (Valpo alum).

Last edited:
Advertisement
It don’t look like Mario’s pick will be Strong, either, cause apparently Ol Charlie was in Bammy day before yestiddy. Who's next?View attachment 228347
He hired Strong before he hired Steele last year so if he wanted him as DC he could have just made him the DC last year which is why I was thinking he was not going to be the choice.

Edit: That article may be old but the premise still stands.

MFers running from Mario like rabbits from a Fox....
I actually had a more positive read on this... Mario hired/tried to hire the guys that Bama wants. Last year he went after Reese and Saban hires him this year. Last year Mario hired Steele and this year Saban took him and might do the same with Strong.

Now obviously no one wanted to take Gattis off our hands and it seems like there are some other coaches on our team that should probably go that aren't highly sought after, but it makes me feel somewhat better about Mario's hiring decisions.

Edit: It looks like that Strong visiting Alabama was an old article (my bad for assuming someone would have checked that before posting it). I still think it is a good sign if we have/have been targeting coaches that end up at Alabama. Now we just need to get to the state where they don't see it as an obvious choice to go there instead which was going to take time even if we didn't have a disasterous season last year.

Advertisement
I actually had a more positive read on this... Mario hired/tried to hire the guys that Bama wants. Last year he went after Reese and Saban hires him this year. Last year Mario hired Steele and this year Saban took him and might do the same with Strong.

Now obviously no one wanted to take Gattis off our hands and it seems like there are some other coaches on our team that should probably go that aren't highly sought after, but it makes me feel somewhat better about Mario's hiring decisions.
Most were praising Mario’s hirings last year. There were a couple of ? But for the most part, most believed he did a solid job.

Most were praising Mario’s hirings last year. There were a couple of ? But for the most part, most believed he did a solid job.
Agreed - but I think a lot of people had issues with the types of OCs he was going after (not just Gattis) and the DC he hired (a lot less pressure here, but definitely some suggesting Steele was past his prime - especially after/during the season). Now maybe those things are still valid, but I think Saban going after the same people that Mario tried or did hire points to Mario not being completely out of line.

Now you can definitely still question the amount of time it takes him and hiring almost all of the position coaches before the Coordinators...

Last edited:
Advertisement
He hired Strong before he hired Steele last year so if he wanted him as DC he could have just made him the DC last year which is why I was thinking he was not going to be the choice.

Edit: That article may be old but the premise still stands.

or he hired Strong before Steele was announced/made official. They could have already had an agreement in principle

Reactions: ben
Ehh…defensive success is far more reliant on talent than scheme. Georgia’s defense isn’t great because they’re doing something radical. They have NFL players at every position. I’m not saying coaching doesn’t matter at all because some guys are just bums and some guys are better at making in game adjustments but it’s not like on offense where an elite coach can overcome a talent disadvantage. Manny Diaz’s last two defenses were terrible at Miami. He goes to a more talented Penn State team and fields a top 20 defense again. Keep bringing in talent and you can field a top defense with any half decent coordinator.
I agree with your stance to an extent. Big picture wise, you’re absolutely right that player’s ability and talent exceeds the need for scheming defensively. However, I will say that defensive schemes can bring the more out of average players than some that are super talented.

There’s some schemes out there that actually help mask the deficiencies a team may have. Not every location has the body types of the dudes that live in SEC country, especially with their talent. ****, Miami doesn’t even really. Which is why the 4 down lineman thing blew up here. Our geographic produced more twitchy lineman which lend more towards that defensive scheme rather than a traditional 3 man front with behemoths hands in the dirt.

Others schemes like an attacking 3-3-5 is more of the modern wave because you’re not asking your lineman to eat up blocks. Rather, they cause chaos for O Lineman and your linebackers and playmakers swarm to the ball. The scheme itself helps the players use their natural born abilities and instincts.

Georgia as someone said earlier, just has the luxury of both. Because that scheme, although doesn’t seem fancy to the normal eye. I can guarantee the coaching they’re getting is on another level and the tweaks can be week-to-week just to confuse opponents. Their simulated pressures are a DC’s wet dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back