Coaching DC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehh…defensive success is far more reliant on talent than scheme. Georgia’s defense isn’t great because they’re doing something radical. They have NFL players at every position. I’m not saying coaching doesn’t matter at all because some guys are just bums and some guys are better at making in game adjustments but it’s not like on offense where an elite coach can overcome a talent disadvantage. Manny Diaz’s last two defenses were terrible at Miami. He goes to a more talented Penn State team and fields a top 20 defense again. Keep bringing in talent and you can field a top defense with any half decent coordinator.
Georgia is like the best of both worlds on defense as far as talent and coaching.

Reactions: DTP
Advertisement
Advertisement
Man we just can never build some sort of continuity when it comes to coaching..

Mario has to knock both hires out the park.
If he doesn’t it might just be clear that Mario is a downright killer recruiter and not a championship caliber head coach.

Regardless if Mario works or not, one thing for sure is the coach after him will have a **** talented roster.

Man we just can never build some sort of continuity when it comes to coaching..

Mario has to knock both hires out the park.
And if he knocks it out of the park this time next year every major CFB power will be knocking on the door to poach those coordinators. Mario simply has to learn to make intelligent hires consistently.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hey quick question. Who says Strong even wants to call plays? Doesn't he want to be a position coach and a big picture guy? Imagine wanting to be the best in the country and hiring a guy who hasn't coordinated a defense in like 10 years.

I'm not exactly distraught over the Steele departure. I was willing to give him another year to get more talent and his players to become more comfortable in his scheme. But, let's be honest the defense was pretty woeful last year as well. Strong is not the answer either. If it's DC or go to Bama. Let him go to Bama as well. The guy hasn't called a defense in over a decade. There's other decent DC options out there. My biggest concern is how ******* long Mario takes to make a decision on his coaches. It's ridiculous. We start spring ball in 3 weeks with neither coordinator position filled. Steele might have been unexpected, but there's no reason we shouldn't have an OC in place by now considering how long they've known Gatt *** wasn't coming back.

MFers running from Mario like rabbits from a Fox....
Or they don't want to be part of a complete reset and most of these guys are long in the tooth. At this point I think the mix of young, innovative coaches who have shown success at lower levels. We need hungry guys who also want to hit the trail. This model worked for Jimmy and Butch.

Advertisement
This stuff is out of control. As someone else mentioned, Mario needs an intervention. By any or all of the following: Rad, Highsmith, Ruiz, Mirabal, and anyone else that has his ear. You just can't move at this speed. Especially w/ only four weeks before spring practice is "supposed" to start (I'm seeing it being pushed back 1-2 weeks, imo).

He needs to body the hiring process like he does No NIL Billy.

This stuff is out of control. As someone else mentioned, Mario needs an intervention. By any or all of the following: Rad, Highsmith, Ruiz, Mirabal, and anyone else that has his ear. You just can't move at this speed. Especially w/ only four weeks before spring practice is "supposed" to start (I'm seeing it being pushed back 1-2 weeks, imo).

lol at Spring practice being pushed

Advertisement

It's beyond belief...anyone who's okay with this process needs help.

It don’t look like Mario’s pick will be Strong, either, cause apparently Ol Charlie was in Bammy day before yestiddy. Who's next?
****, this program is the Titanic, everyone is abandoning ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back