Db recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying Brownlee and Good aren't/won't develop into players. But we would be CRUCIFYING the old staff for targeting these under the radar three star kids this early in the recruiting process.

I don't blame Rumph for doing it and I trust his coaching abilities (to an extent because we looked down right awful in the secondary a few games last season). I think these first couple years show he doesn't have the recruiting skills to battle with the big boys and their bags.

Advertisement
Let's see.

Mel Tucker

1997–1998 Michigan State (GA)
1999 Miami (OH) (DB)
2000 LSU (DB)
2001–2003 Ohio State (DB)
2004 Ohio State (Co-DC)
2005–2007 Cleveland Browns (DB)
2008 Cleveland Browns (DC)
2009–2011 Jacksonville Jaguars (DC)
2011 Jacksonville Jaguars (interim HC)
2012 Jacksonville Jaguars(AHC/DC)
2013–2014 Chicago Bears (DC)
2015 Alabama (AHC/DB)
2016–present Georgia (DC/DB)

"In 2005 Tucker entered the National Football League (NFL) with the Cleveland Browns. He coached defensive backs from 2005–2007 and was promoted to defensive coordinator in the 2008 season following the firing of Todd Grantham. Under Tucker, Cleveland consistently ranked fifth in the league, with the defense making 73 interceptions."

For years in the NFL, Mel was considered not only a top coordinator but a head-coaching candidate,” said Ian Rappaport, NFL Network national insider. “He’s been an interim coach in Jacksonville, and really commanded the respect of players. Sharp, diligent, he always got the most out of his guys.”

"In 2009 Tucker was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguarsas the defensive coordinator. In the 2011 seasonhead coach Jack Del Rio put Tucker in charge of defensive play-calling, and the team quickly became the fourth highest rated in the NFL. On November 29, 2011, Tucker was named Jacksonville's interim head coach following the firing of Del Rio. He ran the team for their final five games and was in consideration for the job full-time until Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was named head coach on January 10, 2012."

"He is an outstanding coach all the way around and really does an excellent job in terms of teaching the players,” Saban said when Tucker was hired. “When you look at his college and NFL experience, his resume is very impressive.”

"Tucker was part of a 2017 staff that led the Bulldogs to a record-tying 13 victories, first SEC championship since 2005, first appearance in the College Football Playoff, first appearance (and victory over Oklahoma) in the Rose Bowl CFP semi-final game, and first appearance in the College Football Playoff Championship Game. Georgia’s defense finished second in the SEC and 6th nationally in Scoring Defense (16.4 ppg), 2nd in the SEC and 6th nationally in Total Defense (294.9 ypg), and 2nd in the SEC in Rushing Defense.

Mike Rumph

Before AH - Coached Teeny Boppers
2011-2012 American Heritage High School (DC)
2013-2015 American Heritage High School (HC)
2016-present Miami (FL) (DB)

Hmmm, seems comparable. But again, don't let the facts get in the way here. Let me guess, you simply are "lmfao" based on Mel in Chicago? Another uninformed, clueless poster. But yeah, Rumph is on Tucker's level.

Pusha T is that you?

I'm not saying Brownlee and Good aren't/won't develop into players. But we would be CRUCIFYING the old staff for targeting these under the radar three star kids this early in the recruiting process.

I don't blame Rumph for doing it and I trust his coaching abilities (to an extent because we looked down right awful in the secondary a few games last season). I think these first couple years show he doesn't have the recruiting skills to battle with the big boys and their bags.

Again, FACTS! But the blind homers will tell you we are unearthing more hidden gems, that is until of course these kids commit, than decommit and the excuse makers will say no big loss, we didn't want them anyways to begin with. All the same guys who are applauding this, were just saying last week how the staff was dropping all the 3 star kids in order to make room to add 4 and 5 star kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The longest mel tucker has been anywhere is4 years. A lot of lateral moves and push outs. Rumph longest stop was already longer than that. I support Canes. Sorry

Another one who doesn't like facts. Must be nice living in that unicorn world.

That was a compliment. Maybe try checking what's going on in the outside world now that you're done your Mel Tucker research project. Over sensitive *****.

Agree with your post.

Rumph and Banda can’t recruit elite dbs because they haven’t produced any elite dbs. The problem is how do you produce an elite db if you cant recruit them? I have no doubt in my mind Rumph and Banda would be recruiting better if Artie stayed an extra year and Banda had a 1st round pick like Hartley had with Njoku.

Rumph not landing 1 of his 2 5* cbs will haunt his career imo. He could’ve sold hs dbs on developing Tyson Campbell from 10 years old to 1st round pick

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

**** right they would. He hasn't shown the ability to land our top targets and that's been beat to death. I don't even fault him in that to a degree as it's been an uphill battle.

He's done a good job of coaching them up. However you can't though say in one breath that a guy like Elder, look at what he did, while half of the clueless morons on this board said he was a first rounder his junior year. Most of the board projected him as better than Burns.

His unit has been absolutely shredded at times as well. I'm not sure how much is him versus Diaz. If I was to put my pick on who is at fault, its Diaz. Part of that has been, IMO, a lack of size at the corner position. Our last recruiting class addressed that issue though so they both need to show out and we'll have our answer.

The verdict is incomplete at this time. He's showing positive signs as a coach, but to label him the best is absurd. If you say that, you probably were saying the same thing about Kul. At least the best in the business thought the same with you there, but that still hasn't stopped the wild predictions with his largely unproven replacement. You also can't knock Kul for his recruiting and give Rumph a pass.

There's a lot of insane comments the last two pages. The insecurities many of you show in what should be an open discussion is embarrassing.

Reactions: STG
Rumph will be fine....In College..he learnt from the best DB coach UM has ever had...
If a kid doesn't want to be a Cane...F-him....

A kid rumph coached since before he can tie his shoes..chose Mel Tucker over rumph to get him to the next level. Mel ***n Tucker. Y'all need to chill out with calling people the best in the biz. Also the only people that was downing Michael Jackson was folks who didn't know football...jackosn was in the rotation from he step foot on campus. Me and dmoney was praising the kid from the jump.
Rumph is a solid cb coach learning on the job and developing. Let him develop..that resume ain't nothing to write home about right now. It can be with better recruiting by him
Yall trying to compare a third year coach to a coach with 15 years.. You can't make this **** up.. lol thanks for the laugh

Let's see.

Mel Tucker

1999 Miami (OH) (DB)
2000 LSU (DB)
2004 Ohio State (Co-DC)
2015 Alabama (AHC/DB)

"In 2005 Tucker entered the National Football League (NFL) with the Cleveland Browns. He coached defensive backs from 2005–2007 and was promoted to defensive coordinator in the 2008 season following the firing of Todd Grantham. Under Tucker, Cleveland consistently ranked fifth in the league, with the defense making 73 interceptions."

For years in the NFL, Mel was considered not only a top coordinator but a head-coaching candidate,” said Ian Rappaport, NFL Network national insider. “He’s been an interim coach in Jacksonville, and really commanded the respect of players. Sharp, diligent, he always got the most out of his guys.”

"In 2009 Tucker was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguarsas the defensive coordinator. In the 2011 seasonhead coach Jack Del Rio put Tucker in charge of defensive play-calling, and the team quickly became the fourth highest rated in the NFL. On November 29, 2011, Tucker was named Jacksonville's interim head coach following the firing of Del Rio. He ran the team for their final five games and was in consideration for the job full-time until Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was named head coach on January 10, 2012."

"He is an outstanding coach all the way around and really does an excellent job in terms of teaching the players,” Saban said when Tucker was hired. “When you look at his college and NFL experience, his resume is very impressive.”

"Tucker was part of a 2017 staff that led the Bulldogs to a record-tying 13 victories, first SEC championship since 2005, first appearance in the College Football Playoff, first appearance (and victory over Oklahoma) in the Rose Bowl CFP semi-final game, and first appearance in the College Football Playoff Championship Game. Georgia’s defense finished second in the SEC and 6th nationally in Scoring Defense (16.4 ppg), 2nd in the SEC and 6th nationally in Total Defense (294.9 ypg), and 2nd in the SEC in Rushing Defense.

Mike Rumph

Hmmm, seems comparable. But again, don't let the facts get in the way here. Let me guess, you simply are "lmfao" based on Mel in Chicago? Another uninformed, clueless poster. But yeah, Rumph is on Tucker's level.
He definitely was awful at Chicago but still has a bevy of nfl experience

Advertisement
Agree with your post.

Rumph and Banda can’t recruit elite dbs because they haven’t produced any elite dbs. The problem is how do you produce an elite db if you cant recruit them? I have no doubt in my mind Rumph and Banda would be recruiting better if Artie stayed an extra year and Banda had a 1st round like Hartley had with Njoku.

Rumph not landing 1 of his 2 5* cbs will haunt his career imo. He could’ve sold hs dbs on developing Tyson Campbell from 10 years old to 1st round pick
Except they have produced arguably 2 top 3 dbs at their specific position in the country for 2018 in Jaquan Johnson and Michael Jackson

**** right they would. He hasn't shown the ability to land our top targets and that's been beat to death. I don't even fault him in that to a degree as it's been an uphill battle.

He's done a good job of coaching them up. However you can't though say in one breath that a guy like Elder, look at what he did, while half of the clueless morons on this board said he was a first rounder his junior year. Most of the board projected him as better than Burns.

His unit has been absolutely shredded at times as well. I'm not sure how much is him versus Diaz. If I was to put my pick on who is at fault, its Diaz. Part of that has been, IMO, a lack of size at the corner position. Our last recruiting class addressed that issue though so they both need to show out and we'll have our answer.

The verdict is incomplete at this time. He's showing positive signs as a coach, but to label him the best is absurd. If you say that, you probably were saying the same thing about Kul. At least the best in the business thought the same with you there, but that still hasn't stopped the wild predictions with his largely unproven replacement. You also can't knock Kul for his recruiting and give Rumph a pass.

There's a lot of insane comments the last two pages. The insecurities many of you show in what should be an open discussion is embarrassing.

I agree with everything you said. I was hesitant to place the blame on Rumph because Diaz scheme is partially at fault. But that Wisconsin game was a tutorial on how NOT to play db. None of our guys could turn their heads around and make a play on the ball. We weren't prepared to play and couldn't make in game adjustments.

That game, Tyson Campbell actually tweeted his displeasure with the performance he was watching. I'm sure it played a part in his decision and you know other coaches made sure to bring it up. Can't blame the bags for that.

Yall trying to compare a third year coach to a coach with 15 years.. You can't make this **** up.. lol thanks for the laugh
The Level of Douchbaggery in some of the crap I read could wash out a Whales ******...

Advertisement
I agree with everything you said. I was hesitant to place the blame on Rumph because Diaz scheme is partially at fault. But that Wisconsin game was a tutorial on how NOT to play db. None of our guys could turn their heads around and make a play on the ball. We weren't prepared to play and couldn't make in game adjustments.

That game, Tyson Campbell actually tweeted his displeasure with the performance he was watching. I'm sure it played a part in his decision and you know other coaches made sure to bring it up. Can't blame the bags for that.
End of the day coaching only matters so much, the dbs got to make the play period which is why you can’t blame rumph for dbs failing to make the play when opportunity presented itself. Put some accountability on the players

Reactions: STG
Let's see.

Mel Tucker

1999 Miami (OH) (DB)
2000 LSU (DB)
2004 Ohio State (Co-DC)
2015 Alabama (AHC/DB)

Mike Rumph

You wasted all that time to argue about something I didn’t say. You are a special level of stupid, but we already knew that when you tried to claim Mel Tucker is some elite DB coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back