DB Gant decommits from Alabama, hears from in-state "Big 3" the most

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 4-star DB Brendan Gant hit the reset button on his recruitment a bit last week, decommitting from Alabama where he had been a pledge to for the last four months.

“Just the fact that I was starting to get around a little more and contact kind of fell off,” Gant said on why he parted ways with the Crimson Tide. “So, we were heading into spring and I wanted to open up with a fresh start to see who has what to offer me.”

For the next step in the process from here, the Kathleen standout estimates he will focus on his team and getting ready for his upcoming senior season before he takes any more visits to other schools.

“Right now, I’m just focused on getting my teammates better so we can have things up and running by the time the summer comes,” Gant said. “I’ll continue to visit places and see what they have to offer. As of now, I don’t have any other visits planned, but sometimes they just come along out the blue. I don’t really have anything planned, though.”

While some thought Gant hadn’t visited Alabama in some time, he says that’s not actually the case.

“It don’t say it on my 247 profile, but I did visit Alabama that Saturday before I visited FSU that Sunday (before I decommitted),” Gant says. “I’ve also been to Georgia, USC, and Florida lately.”

One of those recent spring visits was to Miami back on March 9th weekend. Gant’s first-ever visit to UM went well, with the environment of the Coral Gables campus standing out the most.

“It was my first and only time,” Gant said of his Miami trip. “For one, the sight (of the campus): the palm trees, the good skies, the beautiful weather. The campus is beautiful, it’s a big campus, everybody is always doing something.”

In general, though, Gant said the coaching staff at Miami is the true main appeal of the Hurricanes’ program right now.

“The coaches, they make you feel comfortable and like they care about you as a person.”

The Canes’ staff sees the Kathleen standout as a player that can play all over the field and who could fit at either corner or safety.

“They just tell me they want me to be a guy that can play in coverage, roam the secondary, and also come up and cover at the line,” Gant said. “They’re just recruiting me as a DB right now.”

After his decommitment, it’s the in-state “Big 3” of the schools that Gant said he hears from the most.

“FSU and Miami and Florida,” Gant said of the programs contacting him regularly. “I kind of want to stay in state, but at the same time, if it’s the right fit to go to a place out of state, I wouldn’t mind going there.”

We’ll know if the 6’2”, 192 pounder stays in Florida or flies the coop by December, when Gant plans to sign early with his school of choice.

“As of right now, I’m planning to make a final decision on signing day (in December) and sign early,” Gant said.

When he does finally make that decision, academics and life after football will be two key factors for the program that wins Gant over.

“One, good academics and the educational programs they offer. Two, is it a place where I can come back and live if I go into the League? Can I come back and work in that city and live in that city? Also, a place that I know I’m helping them make money, but at the same time, they’re helping me get to where I need to be.”

Advertisement
where you wanna live after being the in the league??

I’ll laugh if he chooses trailerhahasee or that gator dump

Last edited:
Two, is it a place where I can come back and live if I go into the League? Can I come back and work in that city and live in that city? Also, a place that I know I’m helping them make money, but at the same time, they’re helping me get to where I need to be.”

CANE

Imagine coming back to work and live in Trailerhasse or Sh*tsville

No way he thought that statement through lol

Advertisement
Believe it or not, some people like small towns. There are some people on this message board who love the Canes but wouldn't want to live in south florida. Everyone is different. His idea of a great place to live after college might be some cow town like Tallahassee crazy as it sounds. That said, would love to find out he is a city boy at heart.

Some where you wanna live after being the in the league??

I’ll laugh if he chooses trailerhahasee or that gator dump
You never know. Maybe he has aspirations of becoming ole lady beating trailer trash after Football. In which case it's a pick em for the other 2 schools. All Miami offers is an international hub for business and contacts for life. Ooohhhh to be young with options.

Advertisement
Believe it or not, some people like small towns. There are some people on this message board who love the Canes but wouldn't want to live in south florida. Everyone is different. His idea of a great place to live after college might be some cow town like Tallahassee crazy as it sounds. That said, would love to find out he is a city boy at heart.

Usually working class people or middle aged+ people like small towns. But, a young millionaire athlete in his prime?

He seemed fascinated by The U and the City in general back on his first ever visit, so if he is true to his word then decision is an easy one. Remember Lakeland is 30 mins either direction to Tampa or Orlando. Bigger than trailerhasse or jortsville, so if he wants more city and not the U, then USF or UCF

"I wanted to open up with a fresh start to see who has what to offer me"
"I’ll continue to visit places and see what they have to offer"
"a place that I know I’m helping them make money, but at the same time, they’re helping me get to where I need to be"

Well.. I'm gonna have to assume he did not mean it the way it reads, because who "offers" more than that shtt hole he just decommitted from?

Advertisement
Cmon jassid, how many guys in the league from FSU or uf actually live in either town? You’re smarter than that.

Advertisement
Stefan, did he say whether or not he's attending Paradise Camp? I have to believe the coaches will be making a hard push for those board leaders and challengers that turn out and ball out.

Stefan, did he say whether or not he's attending Paradise Camp? I have to believe the coaches will be making a hard push for those board leaders and challengers that turn out and ball out.
Only makes sense they would. Only thing I'd say is that he would definitely be a safety because he doesn't appear to be that fast.

Advertisement
Back