DB from Iowa!!

image.jpg

Advertisement
We'll end up getting the best option available. I have confidence in this staff.
Yep....This guy prolly wants to compete for a starting spot....I didn't see anything special out of our CBs that says he can't....we "desperately" need to create some competition at that position...

There are better options available as Grad transfers and unsigned JUCO's for 2016

Link to article
Top cornerback backup Maurice Fleming to transfer from Iowa

Top cornerback backup Maurice Fleming to transfer from Iowa

The Iowa football team's already-thin secondary got a little thinner this week, with Maurice Fleming announcing his intentions to transfer.

Fleming, who was listed as the No. 1 left cornerback on the spring depth chart with starter Greg Mabin sidelined, plans to complete his career as a graduate transfer. Iowa approved the transfer without restrictions, according to a university release.

“Maurice has shared his desire to spend his fifth and final season as a graduate transfer at another institution,” coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement. “Reese has been a valuable contributor throughout his career at Iowa, and we wish him the best in his final season this fall.”

Prior to the 2014 season, Fleming lost a three-way battle with Greg Mabin and Sean Draper for the starting cornerback job opposite Desmond King. The Chicago native has been mostly on the bench (and on special teams) since. He had been elevated to first string with Mabin out for the spring with an injury. But sophomore defensive back Josh Jackson is rising up the ranks, even though he, too, is injured this spring and practicing in a red no-contact jersey.

With Fleming gone, the top four corners are King, Mabin, Jackson and freshman Michael Ojemudia (who impressed coaches in the fall, but redshirted).

It's possible that Fleming's departure could help free up a scholarship this summer for walk-on starting free safety Brandon Snyder.

Fleming (6-foot, 205 pounds) played in all 14 games in 2015. He started in Iowa's 28-20 win at Nebraska when King was suspended for the first quarter for being late to a team meeting.

“I feel blessed for my time at Iowa and want to thank coach Kirk Ferentz and coach Phil Parker for their help in making me a better football player and keeping me humble,” Fleming said in a statement. “At this time I am going to explore my options to make the best of my senior year.”

Who?
Please dont say JC Jackson, Im not so sure Richt is looking at him seriously.
So what players?

Assuming no JC Jackson, this kid would be a really good one year pick up. He's a better option at CB than any of our current guys not named Elder or Redwine, and he'd provide valuable depth
not to mention he was the 3rd on a team that made the CFP with a future first round pick (Desmond King) as one of the guys in front of him

You bring him and give him a look. This is the type of quick fix we need.

Advertisement
As a guy who lives in Iowa City currently getting my MBA, and went to almost every hawkeye game this year let me just say this guy is not miami good. The reason he left is he wouldnt be a starter over Dez king (great player) and two other DBs that are a sophmore and Senior. They were going to move him to safety but elected to start a walk-on instead in the spring so thats why he left. I expect him to land at a much smaller program not power 5. Just my take, seen him get burned way too much.

As a guy who lives in Iowa City currently getting my MBA, and went to almost every hawkeye game this year let me just say this guy is not miami good. The reason he left is he wouldnt be a starter over Dez king (great player) and two other DBs that are a sophmore and Senior. They were going to move him to safety but elected to start a walk-on instead in the spring so thats why he left. I expect him to land at a much smaller program not power 5. Just my take, seen him get burned way too much.
he's not going to start here...we just need a guy to play nickel and add depth, plus he played in every game for them last year. That has to stand for something

As a guy who lives in Iowa City currently getting my MBA, and went to almost every hawkeye game this year let me just say this guy is not miami good. The reason he left is he wouldnt be a starter over Dez king (great player) and two other DBs that are a sophmore and Senior. They were going to move him to safety but elected to start a walk

Hey we are going to be playing a crap load of zone this year. Do need to be Revis to be a decent zone corner. and we need depth bad

[MENTION=5529]Canesince91[/MENTION] can you rephrase, I don't understand what you're trying to say here..

Advertisement

how many corners on our roster are "miami good?" we need all the help we can get, and we're not really in a position to be picky.

Neither are Mayes or Henley. **** Mayes and Henley aren't even FIU good.

As others have said, this Iowa kid doesn't need to start, he just needs to provide depth for 1 year

. Thanks for the info....he prolly left to compete for a starting position....lf he's good enough to push our starters he's a take....if not, I see him going to a Mid....I looked at several Iowa highlights..didn't see him getting burned.....where's the toast?

. Thanks for the info....he prolly left to compete for a starting position....lf he's good enough to push our starters he's a take....if not, I see him going to a Mid....I looked at several Iowa highlights..didn't see him getting burned.....where's the toast?

Do teams normally put their bad plays on their own "highlight" videos?

Advertisement
Not Miami good is not good enuf. Find a Miami good enuf out there. JUCO, Grad transfer or whatever. Trust staff to find right guy or pass.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hope Ritch is not in the business of taking players just to take them. If he's not Miami good then pass

Advertisement
Not Miami good is not good enuf. Find a Miami good enuf out there. JUCO, Grad transfer or whatever. Trust staff to find right guy or pass.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You're not going to find a grad transfer CB who is at an elite level because those sort of cats don't stick around for their 5th-year
of college football.
They are in their 1st or 2nd year of the NFL.
So get over a player NOT being "Miami Good", whatever that means, because we need CBs who can provide quality minutes.

If he's not good enough to help us win then don't waste time with him. We already have ****** depth players. If we sign anyone he needs to, at a minimum, be better than our ****** depth players and be good enough to actually play.

What ever happened to the Miami standard. We can do bad with what we got. Don't need another Mike Williams disgracing the helmet.. but that's just me. I'd rather play with 10 then send Mike Williams part 1.4 on the field

If he's not good enough to help us win then don't waste time with him. We already have ****** depth players. If we sign anyone he needs to, at a minimum, be better than our ****** depth players and be good enough to actually play.

Based on what little I saw and heard of the CBs not named Redwine and Elder, I think there has to be several grad transfer CBs who can help this program,
and none of them are elite.
But that doesn't mean that they are Mike Williams bad.
There is a middle-ground somewhere.

Advertisement
Back