DB from Iowa!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
There are better options available as Grad transfers and unsigned JUCO's for 2016

Link to article
Top cornerback backup Maurice Fleming to transfer from Iowa

Top cornerback backup Maurice Fleming to transfer from Iowa

The Iowa football team's already-thin secondary got a little thinner this week, with Maurice Fleming announcing his intentions to transfer.

Fleming, who was listed as the No. 1 left cornerback on the spring depth chart with starter Greg Mabin sidelined, plans to complete his career as a graduate transfer. Iowa approved the transfer without restrictions, according to a university release.

“Maurice has shared his desire to spend his fifth and final season as a graduate transfer at another institution,” coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement. “Reese has been a valuable contributor throughout his career at Iowa, and we wish him the best in his final season this fall.”

Prior to the 2014 season, Fleming lost a three-way battle with Greg Mabin and Sean Draper for the starting cornerback job opposite Desmond King. The Chicago native has been mostly on the bench (and on special teams) since. He had been elevated to first string with Mabin out for the spring with an injury. But sophomore defensive back Josh Jackson is rising up the ranks, even though he, too, is injured this spring and practicing in a red no-contact jersey.

With Fleming gone, the top four corners are King, Mabin, Jackson and freshman Michael Ojemudia (who impressed coaches in the fall, but redshirted).

It's possible that Fleming's departure could help free up a scholarship this summer for walk-on starting free safety Brandon Snyder.

Fleming (6-foot, 205 pounds) played in all 14 games in 2015. He started in Iowa's 28-20 win at Nebraska when King was suspended for the first quarter for being late to a team meeting.

“I feel blessed for my time at Iowa and want to thank coach Kirk Ferentz and coach Phil Parker for their help in making me a better football player and keeping me humble,” Fleming said in a statement. “At this time I am going to explore my options to make the best of my senior year.”

Advertisement
Paranos:There are better options available as Grad transfers and unsigned JUCO's for 2016

Go on....

Assuming no JC Jackson, this kid would be a really good one year pick up. He's a better option at CB than any of our current guys not named Elder or Redwine, and he'd provide valuable depth

Assuming no JC Jackson, this kid would be a really good one year pick up. He's a better option at CB than any of our current guys not named Elder or Redwine, and he'd provide valuable depth
not to mention he was the 3rd on a team that made the CFP with a future first round pick (Desmond King) as one of the guys in front of him

Advertisement
This kid from Iowa is at least big. At 205 he should, SHOULD be a good tackler.

I'd be interested to see what JUCOs are out there.

Good size with "decent" speed.....played in a loaded secondary.....possible starter on other big 10 teams....would provide instant experience & depth...I'd say he's a take....if we don't land pipe dream JC or a Juco db......here's a spring interview..https://youtu.be/12Jebc5gq38

Advertisement
Back