"Day After" thoughts

reg

Sophomore
Now that I've gotten a couple hours of sleep, I've had a chance to reflect on yesterday's turn of events. My initial reaction to the Diaz hire was "F'uck no!" I truly thought I was in the middle of an endless nightmare. You know, the kind where you wake up right before Scarlett Johansson actually licks Halle Berry in your bed. Why does that keep f'ucking happening? Though I am still not sold on the hire, I can admit that my initial reaction may have been a bit premature. Not, "busting a nut as soon as the tip gets in" premature, but more like "taking her to dinner first when she was going to let you hit regardless" premature.

It's hard to put too much weight into anything Diaz says, because he has the gift of gab like no other on this side of the Mississippi. The guy can sell hot frying oil to a chicken. Having said that, after listening to him on WQAM this morning I came away with the following:
1. He is cleaning house on offense
2. The offensive philosophy will be innovative
3. Our team will take on his aggressive mindset
4. The defense will remain the same.

When I think about it, when I woke up yesterday morning, Richt was the coach and very minimum changes were going to be made on the offensive side of the ball. Now, that is no longer the case, which is a HUGE WIN!

Diaz defense is not a top 2 defense, but it is a very solid defense, nonetheless. Paired with the right offense, we will definitely compete for a playoff spot on a yearly basis. ****, we were one game away from the playoffs with Richt's s'hitty offense.

Most importantly, the mindset of our team is going to change. Our players acted/played just like Richt coaches....conservative, slow, lazy and content. Now that we will have a team that mirrors Diaz mindset, that is beyond encouraging.

Lazy hire? Absolutely! The same can be said for Oklahoma with Lincoln Riley, and for Ohio State with Day. Blake still needs to be fired! But with the right pieces in place on offense, many of us are going to get exactly what we wanted, regardless of the fact the the person at the helm, is not the name that we may have desired!

Advertisement
Now that I've gotten a couple hours of sleep, I've had a chance to reflect on yesterday's turn of events. My initial reaction to the Diaz hire was "F'uck no!" I truly thought I was in the middle of an endless nightmare. You know, the kind where you wake up right before Scarlett Johansson actually licks Halle Berry in your bed. Why does that keep f'ucking happening? Though I am still not sold on the hire, I can admit that my initial reaction may have been a bit premature. Not, "busting a nut as soon as the tip gets in" premature, but more like "taking her to dinner first when she was going to let you hit regardless" premature.

It's hard to put too much weight into anything Diaz says, because he has the gift of gab like no other on this side of the Mississippi. The guy can sell hot frying oil to a chicken. Having said that, after listening to him on WQAM this morning I came away with the following:

When I think about it, when I woke up yesterday morning, Richt was the coach and very minimum changes were going to be made on the offensive side of the ball. Now, that is no longer the case, which is a HUGE WIN!

Diaz defense is not a top 2 defense, but it is a very solid defense, nonetheless. Paired with the right offense, we will definitely compete for a playoff spot on a yearly basis. ****, we were one game away from the playoffs with Richt's s'hitty offense.

Most importantly, the mindset of our team is going to change. Our players acted/played just like Richt coaches....conservative, slow, lazy and content. Now that we will have a team that mirrors Diaz mindset, that is beyond encouraging.

Lazy hire? Absolutely! The same can be said for Oklahoma with Lincoln Riley, and for Ohio State with Day. Blake still needs to be fired! But with the right pieces in place on offense, many of us are going to get exactly what we wanted, regardless of the fact the the person at the helm, is not the name that we may have desired!

what if the lazy hire turns out to be a great hire?

-Innovative coach in Diaz who adjusts
-Fixed Third down issue with the defense
-Best dbs in the nation
-Striker position
#top 5 D this year

Imagine if this dude brings in another savage on Offense.. on WQAM he mentioned he wanted an attacking , violent offense. If the team does in fact get their identity from their head coach be prepared for Diaz to make the RIGHT HIRE at OC. He knows that everything hinges on this hire .

You definitely made a good point comparing the hire to that of OSPoo and Ou. I forgot they did the same **** thing.

Im not mad at the Diaz hire. I gotta see results before condemnation.

I know 1 thing. Dude hated richts offense with a passion. Expresiion doesnt lie and Diaz had a lot of it during the games when the offense was fuqin up.

I trust he knows this fanbase and that he gotta make something shake on offense for us to truly get behind him.

Evem if he hires someone i question. I gotta see tesults before i condemn

Advertisement
I get your point of view but we still need the horses to run any type of offense. Not recruiting a QB not having a Oline is going to be challenging. We would need to hire a home run OC to hide those deficiencies.

Agreed. If he cleans house on offense I will feel better about the hire.

This is not the same situation as OU with Riley or OSU with Day, though. I don't feel like explaining the differences to those who can't already see them.
Agreed, this is a failed staff those staffs were always in the Playoff hunt. Completely different

"taking her to dinner first when she was going to let you hit regardless" premature. "

I like this guy...

Advertisement
Diaz D might have been one of the best we ever saw here had the O been freaking average instead of dreadfully pathetic. Now imagine had the O been good.

What. Richt's lame sorry **** offensive offense was NO WHERE NEAR average! Heck, I'm guessing this years offense was arguably speaking the WORST Miami offense since Miami was on probation back in the day.

To quote MJ: " This isn't a 7-5 defense! " Words of insight, baby.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Wisconsin MOLESTED Diaz's defense, but it was a matter of time before the defense would eventually come crashing down after CARRYING Richt's atrocious offense all season long. All season long. All season long. That's all season long!

OSU and Okie are terrible comparisons. Those programs were actually winning and just handed the keys off to hot coaching commodities that they would soon lose to other programs. Not the same to our situation in the least.

I get your point of view but we still need the horses to run any type of offense. Not recruiting a QB not having a Oline is going to be challenging. We would need to hire a home run OC to hide those deficiencies.
We play in the coastal. That right there is enough to hide our deficiencies.

Advertisement
What. Richt's lame sorry **** offensive offense was NO WHERE NEAR average! Heck, I'm guessing this years offense was arguably speaking the WORST Miami offense since Miami was on probation back in the day.

To quote MJ: " This isn't a 7-5 defense! " Words of insight, baby.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Wisconsin MOLESTED Diaz's defense, but it was a matter of time before the defense would eventually come crashing down after CARRYING Richt's atrocious offense all season long. All season long. All season long. That's all season long!
That was my point. It wasn't even close to average, and was dreadful. An average O and we are 11-1.

what if the lazy hire turns out to be a great hire?

-Innovative coach in Diaz who adjusts
-Fixed Third down issue with the defense
-Best dbs in the nation
-Striker position
#top 5 D this year

Imagine if this dude brings in another savage on Offense.. on WQAM he mentioned he wanted an attacking , violent offense. If the team does in fact get their identity from their head coach be prepared for Diaz to make the RIGHT HIRE at OC. He knows that everything hinges on this hire .

Can't overstate the Striker position enough, imo. Diaz ADJUSTED when he saw what teams were doing to us the TE and slot wr over the middle. How did MR adjust on O? He ran DJ in the wildcat for 6 plays this year..

Advertisement
I will support him because wanting our head coaches fired is a collosal waste of energy. It's like Groundhog's Day with each fire/hire.

Look, the statement that we will compete for a playoff spot needs to clarified. It sounds impressive but it really isn't. Fact is that we are currently placed in a favorable spot because we are in the weak Coastal, which we should dominate every year as we are flat out more talented than every team in the division. So essentially, we play either FSU or Clemson in the ACCCG, at this point in time Clemson is head and shoulders above FSU. So yes we can compete for a playoff spot rather quickly but that doesn't mean we are anywhere near belonging yet. Reality is that Diaz was an above average DC, he did well adjusting this year, but you must take a step back and realize who did he adjust against? He improved against teams he should have improved against, teams that are inferior talent-wise. Once again, was there improvement? Yes, but it should have been expected and isn't some feather in his cap. Then there are his performances against Clemson and more importantly LSU, which has been anemic on offense for a long time now. When faced against a team with equal or more talent, he just hasn't fared that well. He did well against ND last year, so Ill give him that but once again, Diaz just isn't this irreplaceable defensive mind.

Now he has been promoted to a position, that he frankly just isn't qualified for. Its not that he isn't qualified to be an HC, its just he isn't qualified to be an HC at Miami. Now we must also consider the context of this hire outside of Manny, the fact that we already went through this with Randy. Not only that but the program is in a desperate position to finally get a hire right. What do we do? We don't even take our time and just made this lazy hire which isn't Manny's fault. Unlike in late 2006 or late 2010, this program is in a much better spot thanks to Richt. The talent is there to compete right away, although there are holes in the roster and upgrades have been made to the facilities. Bottom line is that the program is more attractive than it has been in almost a decade in a half, and we hire Manny. Now most of the positives I'm hearing are weak intangibles and this idea that he had a championship caliber defense, which frankly is yet to be determined. If anything, there is a stronger argument it wasn't championship caliber than it was championship caliber.

Now what I would like to see from Manny, and personally think it is a must, he must clean house with the current staff. These are Rcihts guys not his, and Im gonna make the educated guess that given that Manny will not command a Richt like salary, we don't have to buyout Richt, and hopefully the reports are true that there is no 4 mil buyout of Manny from Temple. If this is in fact true, he needs to swing for the fences with the staff. Cleaning house on offense, well that is a no brainer, but I think he needs to do it on defense also. IF we are gonna be green up top, we need to make that up elsewhere, we need a monster staff on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
Back