Davon Reed pro comparison

kev13108

Junior
Premium
Random thought, but anyone else reminded of Luol Deng every time you see Davon play? Grind it out every night, solid athletically, great defender, nice spot up shooter, pretty good in close as well. What do you guys think simply for conversation sake.

Advertisement
Random thought, but anyone else reminded of Luol Deng every time you see Davon play? Grind it out every night, solid athletically, great defender, nice spot up shooter, pretty good in close as well. What do you guys think simply for conversation sake.

Good comparison, IMO a better shooting Tony Allen

Allen was an elite defender with no range. Reed is an average defender with above average shooting. They dont match up really at all. Reed is more like a lot less talented Igoudala.

I agree with both comparisons and I am a big fan of both of those players in the NBA and what they bring to their team night in and night out. I think Davon Reed is the overall best two way player on our team and I think that is very impressive. Since his freshman year I always liked his upside he brings. I see a undersized Kawhi Leonard in him

Allen was an elite defender with no range. Reed is an average defender with above average shooting. They dont match up really at all. Reed is more like a lot less talented Igoudala.

If u watch this kid play and say he is an average defender then you don't know bball. He is a good defender I'm not saying he's elite or excellent but he's solid. To say he's average is a slight to his game

Advertisement
I'd go on to say he's a very good defender. One of UM's best since Brian Asbury. Reed moves his feet exceptionally well, hedges well, recovers as fast as most players in the nation, and uses his length to deflect passes and occasionally to block shots. If Reed improves his anticipation he will become an elite defender if he's not already there.

It's hard to compare him although Allen's not a bad match-up. Allen is stronger and clingier than Davon. Reed is a Swiss Army knife: he does it all.

If u watch this kid play and say he is an average defender then you don't know bball. He is a good defender I'm not saying he's elite or excellent but he's solid. To say he's average is a slight to his game

Even if he is a "very good defender" that still doesnt warrant a comparison to a truly Elite defender. Reed isnt even the best defender on our team.

Even if he is a "very good defender" that still doesnt warrant a comparison to a truly Elite defender. Reed isnt even the best defender on our team.

See I disagree with this. I am curious to hear who you say is the best defender. Reed can pretty much guard 1-4 comfortably and I felt like he should have been on Brogden for Virginia instead of Sheldon. Sheldon gets very lazy on defense (especially through screens). That is the one negative thing I say about his game consistently

Probably the best comparison is 6-5 Iman Shumpert, former GT guard/forward and late first round pick of the Knicks. Now with Cleveland. Very athletic defender, can defend three positions, streaky but decent shooter and so-so handle.

Advertisement

True, but I didnt compare him to tony allen, i compared him to Loul Deng, and was saying the he is not an average defender

True, but I didnt compare him to tony allen, i compared him to Loul Deng, and was saying the he is not an average defender

I agree with Canescott totally... Reed is a lil above average in everything great at nothing....If I remember correctly Deng was the #2 player in the nation after Lebron....

Above average to excellent defender ,shooter & driver.

Usually guards teams best scoring threats & shooters. Cooney, Allen, etc. Newton guards when Reed needs a break.

Elite shooter from 3 last year, shot 46% (37-81) after missing the first quarter of the year to injury. Shooting the ball well again this year, having a better second half than first half this year.

Excels when driving to the basket, good finisher and uses backboard well. Eliminated a minor traveling issue after his freshman/sophomore year on his first step when driving.

Agree that he's a very consistent player, but it's unfair to Sheldon to say he's the most consistent.

Advertisement
Above average to excellent defender ,shooter & driver.

Usually guards teams best scoring threats & shooters. Cooney, Allen, etc. Newton guards when Reed needs a break.

Elite shooter from 3 last year, shot 46% (37-81) after missing the first quarter of the year to injury. Shooting the ball well again this year, having a better second half than first half this year.

Excels when driving to the basket, good finisher and uses backboard well. Eliminated a minor traveling issue after his freshman/sophomore year on his first step when driving.

Agree that he's a very consistent player, but it's unfair to Sheldon to say he's the most consistent.

Agreed. We need him to be a leader next year.

Advertisement

My bad I got your post mixed up with another posters. I do agree more with the Loul Deng comparison but I do feel that Reed is a better athlete than I remember Deng being but it has been a long time since I watched him play.

See I disagree with this. I am curious to hear who you say is the best defender. Reed can pretty much guard 1-4 comfortably and I felt like he should have been on Brogden for Virginia instead of Sheldon. Sheldon gets very lazy on defense (especially through screens). That is the one negative thing I say about his game consistently

Reed may be our most versatile defender but Jekiri definitely makes the most impact on D. There was a post in the Virginia thread that compared our D with him on and off the court and I think it showed a massive difference. I think Sheldon has the potential to be a great defender and that will probably be something he focuses more on to cement his place as an NBA player over the next few years but as of right now I do agree with your assessment of his play on that end.

I agree with Canescott totally... Reed is a lil above average in everything great at nothing....If I remember correctly Deng was the #2 player in the nation after Lebron....

This kind of depends on what Loul Deng you are comparing him to because he was a monster coming out of HS but I think he turned out to be a whole lot more of a utilitarian player in the NBA which does compare to what Reed looks like.

Does Reed remind anyone of Andre Iguodala??

Hybrid SG/SF that can shoot 3s, drive to the basket, and defend well.

They're about the same weight/height too.

Advertisement
Back