David Thompson

Advertisement
I mentioned this on Grassy several times over the last few months (Bakas brushed it off) . I've known David and his family since he was 4 years old. Family is all Cane and he told me that even if he was taken first round, he'd probably still go to UM.

I think I would take that money and play some baseball. Is First/second round money that good or same as a scholarship to UM?

I think I would take that money and play some baseball. Is First/second round money that good or same as a scholarship to UM?

Have a friend who was drafted in the 6th round and also had a scholarship offer to FIU. The pro team gave him a $70k signing bonus plus agreed to pay for his tuition at FIU if he didn't make the Bigs. He signed, never made it and go his degree.

Not sure how that plays with an elite school/expensive tuition like UM but he's also a much better prospect than the example I gave.

Well, I probably would too, but I don't think that's that big a deal in this case. David is a solid kid from a solid family. They're not rich, but money isn't an issue and they feel that the money will be there regardless. He'll end up playing pro ball, but when I spoke to him last he stated very plainly that he was going to UM.

Keep in mind that I have NEVER before and probably never will again have inside info, but that's what I know at this point. I mean I guess things can change, but I seriously doubt it in this case.

BTW, the 1st/2nd rd signing bonuses are bigger than the value of a scholly. If I'm not mistaken though, the salaries are all pretty mediocre in the minors. The value of the contract is mostly in the bonus until you get to the bigs.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Have a friend who was drafted in the 6th round and also had a scholarship offer to FIU. The pro team gave him a $70k signing bonus plus agreed to pay for his tuition at FIU if he didn't make the Bigs. He signed, never made it and go his degree.

Not sure how that plays with an elite school/expensive tuition like UM but he's also a much better prospect than the example I gave.

Have a good friend who had the same situation. He got offered by LSU, got drafted and they guaranteed to pay his schooling later on.

He made it to the show and is still there though.

Not to speak for DT because I don't know him but if I were in his situation and most passionate about playing baseball for a living I'm signing with a pro team, end of story. Getting into the world of professional baseball is a big thing and can offer a lifelong path regardless if he ends up playing in the big leagues or not.

OTH if I wasn't sure and enjoy both sports equally, plus love Miami and having my family close, then UM is a great option. Actually come to think of it this kid is blessed. **** those are some great options.

Bottom line follow your passion because the money will come for a kid as talented as he is.

Not to speak for DT because I don't know him but if I were in his situation and most passionate about playing baseball for a living I'm signing with a pro team, end of story. Getting into the world of professional baseball is a big thing and can offer a lifelong path regardless if he ends up playing in the big leagues or not.

OTH if I wasn't sure and enjoy both sports equally, plus love Miami and having my family close, then UM is a great option. Actually come to think of it this kid is blessed. **** those are some great options.

Bottom line follow your passion because the money will come for a kid as talented as he is.

Thus far, his game plan is to do both. He can go to UM and still play pro ball. They don't view it as an either/or situation.

[video=youtube;pn2iC27LTgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn2iC27LTgQ[/video]

Dude is a competetor.

Advertisement
I mentioned this on Grassy several times over the last few months (Bakas brushed it off) . I've known David and his family since he was 4 years old. Family is all Cane and he told me that even if he was taken first round, he'd probably still go to UM.

that's what the **** I'm talkin' about

Advertisement
Back