David Thompson

Wasn't the guy the most decorated athlete in county history?

He's going to be a first round pick in baseball. He'd be crazy to risk that playing QB, IMO.

He's a beast, but he's not a future first round pick. Doesn't have the measurables.
Not true. Last year prior to his injury, and stating that he wanted to go to college, which drove up his contract demands, he was projected to be as early as a late 1st round or sandwich pick to early/mid 2nd round pick. His statement about wanting to go to college, his injury and the new MLB signing rules pushed his way down. If he keeps going at this rate and was eligible again this year, he would like be projected as a first/second rounder again. If he keeps going at this pace and stays healthy, I think thats where he winds up when hes eligible again in 3 years. As for the "measurables" look at how he measures up compared to Yonder who was the 7th overall pick. They are alot alike, but I think Thompson has a greater upside.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How many QBs over the years have been crippled? Where is this gigantic risk in playing QB that would put his baseball future at risk? He's a competitive kid who loves football. I'll be surprised if he doesn't give it a go because he'd probably win the goddam job.

Not sure I agree with your logic. It's not about being crippled or legs at all, for that matter. Shoulder injuries are relatively common for QBs. Just getting hit and driven into the ground, you can separate a shoulder. Shoulder injuries are very bad for baseball. Q.E.D.

This dude's game is hitting the baseball a LONG way. He's not a pitcher. He's a glorified DH at this point. Pretty sure he's playing 1st base, which requires an arm about equal to that possessed by a premature baby. I don't think this dude lives scared, so I expect him to play some football.

I'm not predicting he'll quit on FB, but a serious shoulder injury is bad for bat swinging, not only pitching. You are correct he's moved to 1B, I believe. I just don't know that he should risk a pretty terrific future in baseball to try FB, particularly because I doubt he's got a pro future in football at his size. But if he wants to, I'm all for cheering him on.

You're all about debate, so let me ax you a question: Of the thousands of QBs you've watched play in the modern era, how many have suffered shoulder injuries that have ended their ability to throw a football (which is harder on the shoulder than throwing a baseball)? I can't remember any, and I've seen them all over the last 25 years. If QBs are not getting injured enough to stop them from throwing the football at a high level, then I doubt there's any real legit reason to think Thompson would hurt his shoulder enough to hinder him from making the ***gy throws a first baseman has to make.

Gotta look at the available data to determine if the fear is legit or baseless, and it looks pretty baseless in this instance. The easy reaction is: Oh no. He can't play football. He'll get hurt and ruin his baseball career. The real analysis is: There is nothing to support the idea that he'll sustain an injury that will in any way stop him from succeeding at baseball. ****, the dude just had shoulder surgery a few months ago and is murdering it already.

From one debater to another, you don't need me to tell you that your question is a few strawmen rolled together. The issue isn't whether it's likely he'll suffer a 'career ending' shoulder injury. It's whether he might suffer an injury that would hinder his baseball development in the very short period of time before he's next drafted (two years). And I don't need to narrow the debate to shoulder, I just noted that as an obvious potential injury that would impact swing mechanics if it happened. (He did just recover from a torn labrum, after all.) And I haven't said his issue is throwing a ball -- shoulder injuries impact swing mechanics, which affect hitting. (I disagree that football is harder than baseball on the shoulder, as well, at least in any meaningful sense for this debate -- but that's an aside as he's not a pitcher.)

Anyhow, I'm no walking encyclopedia or shoulder injuries, but I recall that Montana and Elway suffered a few. Maybe Steve Young too, though that might have been something else. I know for sure Jim McMahon used to have an injured shoulder every other week. Just a few examples that come to mind. McMahon ended up becoming useless because of his shoulder problems.

It's enough to note that if he suffered a serious injury playing football, it would likely have a material adverse effect on his baseball draft prospects.

I think part of the reason I am so curious about this is because of how hard it is for most college players to pull off the baseball/football "double". Many try it, but most wind up with a 100% focus on one sport or the other. Prunty and Buchanon wound up being better at one sport over the other. Kenny Kelly was the last one I remember here to try both full time, the problem was that he wasnt great at either, but was above average at both. Thompson clearly looks to be a stud in baseball and appears to have the potential for similar ability in football. I just wonder if he really could be that good in both sports, as that is very rare.

He's going to be a first round pick in baseball. He'd be crazy to risk that playing QB, IMO.

He's a beast, but he's not a future first round pick. Doesn't have the measurables.
He's 6'1"+ and 200 lbs. as a freshman in college. He's big enough to be a great baseball player. If he concentrates on that sport and fills out, he can easily be 220 lbs. in the future. And his bat skills are just unique.

Advertisement
Kid is going to play qb for us. One way or another he will not be denied the opportunity. He's just one of those guys who'll want to try the entire pie. Dont be surprised if he is behind center someday.

Thompson will be at fall practice. Great athletes don't and shouldn't worry about injuries especially QB's. Enough of this talk about being a slam dunk in baseball. He wasn't first round this year as projected was he? Who knows? Bill Henderson (Westminster 1987) also a three sport guy was recruited by JJ as a QB but was a first round draft choice of the Tigers and I know for a fact that he regreted not giving college football a shot. I would bet that he was consulted. Why not put yourself in play for both sports. It's sure worth a year in football to see what you can do or you go through life saying -What if?

How many QBs over the years have been crippled? Where is this gigantic risk in playing QB that would put his baseball future at risk? He's a competitive kid who loves football. I'll be surprised if he doesn't give it a go because he'd probably win the goddam job.

Not sure I agree with your logic. It's not about being crippled or legs at all, for that matter. Shoulder injuries are relatively common for QBs. Just getting hit and driven into the ground, you can separate a shoulder. Shoulder injuries are very bad for baseball. Q.E.D.

This dude's game is hitting the baseball a LONG way. He's not a pitcher. He's a glorified DH at this point. Pretty sure he's playing 1st base, which requires an arm about equal to that possessed by a premature baby. I don't think this dude lives scared, so I expect him to play some football.

Spot on. He's a two tool player and therefore not a first round draft pick. He can hit for average and hit for power. Average speed. Average arm. However, a great college baseball player and amazing athlete.

Advertisement
I havent been able to watch alot of him thus far during the baseball season, but from what I have seen, and what the stats say, he is definitely tearing it up thus far. We have all seen how impressive his QB tape is, and we know that hes a great athlete. Personally, I believe that he has a bright future in baseball, and I think that is where he likely stays. He is certainly a huge asset to the baseball program, but in a dream world I would love to see him take just one year away from baseball to focus 100% on football to see what he can do as just a football player. Hypothetically, if Morris were to embrace that, I think it could wind up be the biggest gift the UM baseball program has given the football program since it the C-A-N-E-S chant made its way from the Light to the OB.

I know you said "in a dream world", but that just isn't gonna happen.

His dad posts on another site and said he wants that QB position and you better look the **** out.fwiw

If that's his pops then that answers my question. Thanks

It is his pops. This is the only time I've known a player's family well (I've know David, and his whole family, since he was 4) and David definitely has his sites set on the QB position. I don't make any predictions, but David isn't messing around when it comes to the football team.

Spot on. He's a two tool player and therefore not a first round draft pick. He can hit for average and hit for power. Average speed. Average arm. However, a great college baseball player and amazing athlete.

The 2 tools he does have are the ones that really matter.
But he is not just a hitter. The kid can field every position. He can run well. Not great but good enough to be a threat, and he does have a strong arm. Not Bo Jackson strong, but strong enough to chuck a football 60 yards.
If you said that he was the most athletic qb on our roster you would probably win that debate and he also has the "it" factor when it comes
to qb. From his tape he has the mojo and the instincts to be a good to eventually really good/great college qb.

His dad posts on another site and said he wants that QB position and you better look the **** out.fwiw

It is his pops. This is the only time I've known a player's family well (I've know David, and his whole family, since he was 4) and David definitely has his sites set on the QB position. I don't make any predictions, but David isn't messing around when it comes to the football team.

Awesome. Great to hear

Advertisement

The 2 tools he does have are the ones that really matter.
But he is not just a hitter. The kid can field every position. He can run well. Not great but good enough to be a threat, and he does have a strong arm.
Not Bo Jackson strong, but strong enough to chuck a football 60 yards.
If you said that he was the most athletic qb on our roster you would probably win that debate and he also has the "it" factor when it comes
to qb. From his tape he has the mojo and the instincts to be a good to eventually really good/great college qb.

You're describing a 5-tool player, the most coveted prospect profile. If he can hit for average and power, field, run and throw that's the definition of a first-round talent even if some of those tools are projections rather than being present. With his size and athleticism a MLB club will draft and develop him as a 3b or corner OF. He's far from a glorified DH at this point. Had the new draft rules not been in effect, the Yankees would likely have offered him late-first/sandwich/early-second round money when they selected him in the 38th round.

Dj, We vould drive ourselves crazy trying to figure who each of us are but like you I have known the family for a long time. I doubt that Ed (Father) said anything other than "you better look out". He heads a missionary organization. I'm very curious as to what David shows in the fall.

He's 6'1"+ and 200 lbs. as a freshman in college. He's big enough to be a great baseball player. If he concentrates on that sport and fills out, he can easily be 220 lbs. in the future. And his bat skills are just unique.

The thing is, he's closer to 5'11 than 6'1. A 5'11 first baseman isn't going in the first round.

Advertisement
I hope he plays football and surprisingly enough I think he has a higher ceiling in football. He reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson.

I'm not predicting he'll quit on FB, but a serious shoulder injury is bad for bat swinging, not only pitching. You are correct he's moved to 1B, I believe. I just don't know that he should risk a pretty terrific future in baseball to try FB, particularly because I doubt he's got a pro future in football at his size. But if he wants to, I'm all for cheering him on.

You're all about debate, so let me ax you a question: Of the thousands of QBs you've watched play in the modern era, how many have suffered shoulder injuries that have ended their ability to throw a football (which is harder on the shoulder than throwing a baseball)? I can't remember any, and I've seen them all over the last 25 years. If QBs are not getting injured enough to stop them from throwing the football at a high level, then I doubt there's any real legit reason to think Thompson would hurt his shoulder enough to hinder him from making the ***gy throws a first baseman has to make.

Gotta look at the available data to determine if the fear is legit or baseless, and it looks pretty baseless in this instance. The easy reaction is: Oh no. He can't play football. He'll get hurt and ruin his baseball career. The real analysis is: There is nothing to support the idea that he'll sustain an injury that will in any way stop him from succeeding at baseball. ****, the dude just had shoulder surgery a few months ago and is murdering it already.

Chad Pennington.

Advertisement
Back