David Thompson

AzureCane

Freshman
I havent been able to watch alot of him thus far during the baseball season, but from what I have seen, and what the stats say, he is definitely tearing it up thus far. We have all seen how impressive his QB tape is, and we know that hes a great athlete. Personally, I believe that he has a bright future in baseball, and I think that is where he likely stays. He is certainly a huge asset to the baseball program, but in a dream world I would love to see him take just one year away from baseball to focus 100% on football to see what he can do as just a football player. Hypothetically, if Morris were to embrace that, I think it could wind up be the biggest gift the UM baseball program has given the football program since it the C-A-N-E-S chant made its way from the Light to the OB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Have to disagree with you here. Wouldnt star over Morris this year and next year he would have to battle a Senior in Williams as well as former elite 11 Dewey, elite 11 Olsen, and Crow. Thompson is too valuable to the baseball team IMo and i dont think he will ever put on a footnall jersey, but thats just speculation.

BTW, great athlete. Kid played basketball too and was very good.

I believe the OP was talking about the baseball head coach Jim Morris

Wasn't the guy the most decorated athlete in county history?

He's going to be a first round pick in baseball. He'd be crazy to risk that playing QB, IMO.

Advertisement
Have to disagree with you here. Wouldnt star over Morris this year and next year he would have to battle a Senior in Williams as well as former elite 11 Dewey, elite 11 Olsen, and Crow. Thompson is too valuable to the baseball team IMo and i dont think he will ever put on a footnall jersey, but thats just speculation.

BTW, great athlete. Kid played basketball too and was very good.
I didnt say he would start over Morris this year. Im just thinking in hypotheticals.I think if Jim Morris (in case there was any confusion) would allow him to give up baseball for just one season, I would be curious to see what he could do as a QB. I dont think he will ever play a down of football either, but I am still curious to see what he is really capable of if he were to play just football. Based on his tape and the fact he was a 3 sport athlete leads me to believe that he could probably give any QB on the roster, not named Morris a run for their money.

Its the offseason and these are the types of things I think about. LOL

He's going to be a first round pick in baseball. He'd be crazy to risk that playing QB, IMO.
I agree, and I dont think he ever will play football. This is really just more of a "what if" scenario than anything

I've heard he's a great punter as well. Maybe that is where he finds his niche?

How many QBs over the years have been crippled? Where is this gigantic risk in playing QB that would put his baseball future at risk? He's a competitive kid who loves football. I'll be surprised if he doesn't give it a go because he'd probably win the goddam job.

Advertisement
How many QBs over the years have been crippled? Where is this gigantic risk in playing QB that would put his baseball future at risk? He's a competitive kid who loves football. I'll be surprised if he doesn't give it a go because he'd probably win the goddam job.

Not sure I agree with your logic. It's not about being crippled or legs at all, for that matter. Shoulder injuries are relatively common for QBs. Just getting hit and driven into the ground, you can separate a shoulder. Shoulder injuries are very bad for baseball. Q.E.D.

Not sure I agree with your logic. It's not about being crippled or legs at all, for that matter. Shoulder injuries are relatively common for QBs. Just getting hit and driven into the ground, you can separate a shoulder. Shoulder injuries are very bad for baseball. Q.E.D.

This dude's game is hitting the baseball a LONG way. He's not a pitcher. He's a glorified DH at this point. Pretty sure he's playing 1st base, which requires an arm about equal to that possessed by a premature baby. I don't think this dude lives scared, so I expect him to play some football.

This dude's game is hitting the baseball a LONG way. He's not a pitcher. He's a glorified DH at this point. Pretty sure he's playing 1st base, which requires an arm about equal to that possessed by a premature baby. I don't think this dude lives scared, so I expect him to play some football.

I'm not predicting he'll quit on FB, but a serious shoulder injury is bad for bat swinging, not only pitching. You are correct he's moved to 1B, I believe. I just don't know that he should risk a pretty terrific future in baseball to try FB, particularly because I doubt he's got a pro future in football at his size. But if he wants to, I'm all for cheering him on.

Advertisement

I agree with you 100% about the injury thing. Again, hes a great athlete and was a great QB in HS, but I am of the belief that his future is in baseball, and I doubt he ever takes a snap at QB. This was about me just thinking out loud about what could be possible if it ever were to happen.

If I was him or his parent, I would stick to baseball. Don,t risk the injury there is to much money in baseball to risk injury

I'm not predicting he'll quit on FB, but a serious shoulder injury is bad for bat swinging, not only pitching. You are correct he's moved to 1B, I believe. I just don't know that he should risk a pretty terrific future in baseball to try FB, particularly because I doubt he's got a pro future in football at his size. But if he wants to, I'm all for cheering him on.

You're all about debate, so let me ax you a question: Of the thousands of QBs you've watched play in the modern era, how many have suffered shoulder injuries that have ended their ability to throw a football (which is harder on the shoulder than throwing a baseball)? I can't remember any, and I've seen them all over the last 25 years. If QBs are not getting injured enough to stop them from throwing the football at a high level, then I doubt there's any real legit reason to think Thompson would hurt his shoulder enough to hinder him from making the ***gy throws a first baseman has to make.

Gotta look at the available data to determine if the fear is legit or baseless, and it looks pretty baseless in this instance. The easy reaction is: Oh no. He can't play football. He'll get hurt and ruin his baseball career. The real analysis is: There is nothing to support the idea that he'll sustain an injury that will in any way stop him from succeeding at baseball. ****, the dude just had shoulder surgery a few months ago and is murdering it already.

Advertisement

He played third base and the outfield in HS, hes only playing first base now because he had shoulder surgery last year in HS, and he was drafted by the Yankees as an outfielder. His bat would at worst have him in the lineup as a DH. The reality is that based on his size and how he projects, he projects alot like Yonder Alonso, who also came in as a third baseman but outgrew the position and wound up as a shaky defensive outfielder/first baseman. His bat is the reason that I think baseball is ultimately his future and the reason he never plays a down of football. I would still love to see what he could do though.

I agree with you 100% about the injury thing. Again, hes a great athlete and was a great QB in HS, but I am of the belief that his future is in baseball, and I doubt he ever takes a snap at QB. This was about me just thinking out loud about what could be possible if it ever were to happen.

Baseless fear. Please see my most recent post and join an intelligent debate on the subject.

He's a beast, but he's not a future first round pick. Doesn't have the measurables.

You're all about debate, so let me ax you a question: Of the thousands of QBs you've watched play in the modern era, how many have suffered shoulder injuries that have ended their ability to throw a football (which is harder on the shoulder than throwing a baseball)? I can't remember any, and I've seen them all over the last 25 years. If QBs are not getting injured enough to stop them from throwing the football at a high level, then I doubt there's any real legit reason to think Thompson would hurt his shoulder enough to hinder him from making the ***gy throws a first baseman has to make.

Gotta look at the available data to determine if the fear is legit or baseless, and it looks pretty baseless in this instance. The easy reaction is: Oh no. He can't play football. He'll get hurt and ruin his baseball career. The real analysis is: There is nothing to support the idea that he'll sustain an injury that will in any way stop him from succeeding at baseball. ****, the dude just had shoulder surgery a few months ago and is murdering it already.
You are comparing just throwing a baseball vs throwing a football which isnt really fair because certain types of shoulder injuries could also affect the ability to swing a bat. You have already said that his "future" is based on his ability to hit a ball a "LONG" way. I dont disagree with that. He certainly will have a future as a run producer, but I do think that there are a number of injuries, from either football or baseball that could have a negative impact on his impact as a power hitter. My whole point here is that, I think the kid is a great athlete and could be a great QB, and I would love to see what he could do under center. I just dont think we will ever see that happen. I already said that if we did see it, I feel it could be the baseball programs best contribution to the football team since the CANES chant

Advertisement
Back