David Thompson

Wasn't the guy the most decorated athlete in county history?

He's going to be a first round pick in baseball. He'd be crazy to risk that playing QB, IMO.

He's a beast, but he's not a future first round pick. Doesn't have the measurables.
He's 6'1"+ and 200 lbs. as a freshman in college. He's big enough to be a great baseball player. If he concentrates on that sport and fills out, he can easily be 220 lbs. in the future. And his bat skills are just unique.

The thing is, he's closer to 5'11 than 6'1. A 5'11 first baseman isn't going in the first round.
If so, that doesnt help his QB prospects, either.

Advertisement

He's going to be a first round pick in baseball. He'd be crazy to risk that playing QB, IMO.

He's a beast, but he's not a future first round pick. Doesn't have the measurables.
He's 6'1"+ and 200 lbs. as a freshman in college. He's big enough to be a great baseball player. If he concentrates on that sport and fills out, he can easily be 220 lbs. in the future. And his bat skills are just unique.

The thing is, he's closer to 5'11 than 6'1. A 5'11 first baseman isn't going in the first round.

Ryan Wilson disagrees with you.

How many QBs over the years have been crippled? Where is this gigantic risk in playing QB that would put his baseball future at risk? He's a competitive kid who loves football. I'll be surprised if he doesn't give it a go because he'd probably win the goddam job.

Not sure I agree with your logic. It's not about being crippled or legs at all, for that matter. Shoulder injuries are relatively common for QBs. Just getting hit and driven into the ground, you can separate a shoulder. Shoulder injuries are very bad for baseball. Q.E.D.

This dude's game is hitting the baseball a LONG way. He's not a pitcher. He's a glorified DH at this point. Pretty sure he's playing 1st base, which requires an arm about equal to that possessed by a premature baby. I don't think this dude lives scared, so I expect him to play some football.

I'm not predicting he'll quit on FB, but a serious shoulder injury is bad for bat swinging, not only pitching. You are correct he's moved to 1B, I believe. I just don't know that he should risk a pretty terrific future in baseball to try FB, particularly because I doubt he's got a pro future in football at his size. But if he wants to, I'm all for cheering him on.

As someone with 2 shoulders that have been dislocated countless times I can tell you just hitting a slow pitch softball is a HUGE pain. Couldn't imagine playing baseball like that.

Advertisement

and like 29 of the other 31 starters in the nfl agree with him, averaging a shade over 6'3"

Who is Ryan Wilson?

Who is Ryan Wilson?

Well, he's not an NFL QB, so he must be a 5'11" guy that disagrees with people. :)

Every single CBB Baseball prospect that people argue cant be a great QB also is going to get Russell/Ryan Wilson thrown at them forever.

Advertisement

This guy is not a 1b. He will absolutely be drafted as a 3b/corner OF.

Will he continue to be a football scholie even if he never plays or practices with the fb team?
This is a major benefit to the baseball program that has very limited 'ships and, as a private school cannot expect a large number of quality walk-ons. The last 2signees for Golden may provide a similar benefit to Coach L, though both should be real contributors to the football team.

..unless he for some reason gets a severe shoulder injury.

Advertisement

Im not sure he has the power to be drafted highly at those positions.

He's a great college baseball player but I just dont think he's a great pro prospect. I could be wrong.

He's a great college baseball player but I just dont think he's a great pro prospect. I could be wrong.

Here's his bio from UM which also lists him as 6'2" 207lbs.

"Four year letterman in baseball and footballl (2009-12)... Three year letterman in basketball (2009-11)... Was the first three time Miami Herald athlete of the year... All-Dade County (2009-12)... State homerun career leader for a single season (19) and career (55)... Under Armour All-American... Semper Fi All-American... "

More homeruns in a season and a career than anyone in the history of Florida HS Baseball. More than ARod.
I think he has some power.
From his high school highlights he looks to be a better football player than baseball player, and he's a great baseball player.

Advertisement

He has tremendous power. The ball jumps off his bat.

Advertisement
Back