David Thompson is an Athlete

Advertisement
I'm not up to speed on the baseball draft but ESPN rated the top HS baseball prospects in the state of Florida and Thompson wasn't in the top 10.

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/baseball/post/_/id/940/mccullers-jr-is-top-florida-diamond-star

I know that many on the board think he's a sure first round pick but based on the ESPN report I'm not sure if that's a guarantee as this doesn't even factor in college players.

Also wasn't there something in the new collective bargaining agreement that made it less attractive for HS players.

Advertisement
I've been saying this for months but I dont see a top end baseball prospect. He's a 5'11 guy without a real position. He doesn't have the quicks for short stop and may not have the size for third. Great HS player but Im not sure how he projects. I think we see him on campus.

My buddy is a coach on the Columbus baseball team, he has some contacts that are scouts, they project Thompson a fifth round pick. This kid will be at UM most likely

This kid is not an ARod type of prospect by any means. He is a GREAT high school player, however he is only 5'11-6'0. A Rod was a 6'3 monster coming out of high school, and he played much better competition. Thompson reminds me a lot of Adrian Cardenas, who was drafted out of Pace in 2006. IMO, he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Advertisement
I'd put it at about 90 percent he ends up here. Between the CBA for MLB in regards to draft picks and some other pieces of the puzzle, I think it would take an un-Godly senior season and a top 20 overall pick to keep him from us. Keep in mind **** be enrolled and working on fball by the time the MLB draft takes place. Also don't be surprised for the drafting team to push for a Kenny Kelly situation, though I don't picture Thompson doing that.

Ibis,
Do you see any possible situation where Thompson has early success as a quarterback and gives up baseball entirely? Or is that off the table no matter what?

I'd put it at about 90 percent he ends up here. Between the CBA for MLB in regards to draft picks and some other pieces of the puzzle, I think it would take an un-Godly senior season and a top 20 overall pick to keep him from us. Keep in mind **** be enrolled and working on fball by the time the MLB draft takes place. Also don't be surprised for the drafting team to push for a Kenny Kelly situation, though I don't picture Thompson doing that.

Do not think so. MLB draft is typically in early June, while class starts in August.

He'll be enrolled first summer session in May.

Ok, that makes no sense.

This kid is not an ARod type of prospect by any means. He is a GREAT high school player, however he is only 5'11-6'0. A Rod was a 6'3 monster coming out of high school, and he played much better competition. Thompson reminds me a lot of Adrian Cardenas, who was drafted out of Pace in 2006. IMO, he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Usually dont disagree much with what you say....but much better competition??? How do you figure?

Advertisement

Ibis,
Do you see any possible situation where Thompson has early success as a quarterback and gives up baseball entirely? Or is that off the table no matter what?

No cant imagine that happening. As one of the coaches challenged him once...how bout all-american in both sports, has that ever happened? Best case scenario for canes fans.... he ends up a legit two sport guy for us that helps both programs.

Usually dont disagree much with what you say....but much better competition??? How do you figure?

I can't find it now, but I glanced at their schedule from last year and most of the schools his school played were SMALL, like 1A types. There were a few bigger schools sprinkled in there but the schedule was weak overall. That being said, the kid is great but I just don't see a cant miss professional baseball prospect because of his size.

I can't find it now, but I glanced at their schedule from last year and most of the schools his school played were SMALL, like 1A types. There were a few bigger schools sprinkled in there but the schedule was weak overall. That being said, the kid is great but I just don't see a cant miss professional baseball prospect because of his size.

Not disagreeing in regards to his size.. potential in eyes of scouts etc....

As to the competition, when ARod was at WCS their schedule was littered with even smaller schools. Westminster plays who they have to in their district, which includes an always solid Florida Christian. But their non-district schedule always includes Gulliver, Columbus, Belen, Pace, publics etc. Not to mention Thompson plays in the days of wood-bat summer ball against the best of the best. I'd argue Thompson has faced far better comp than Arod ever did.

Truth is this.... Thompson is the Moneyball argument. He is the kid that out-produces everyone, but doesnt have the prototypical physical size and qualities that typically lend themselves to a high ceiling in baseball.

All that being said, I don't disagree that Thompson will end up out of the first round and will be on campus this summer.

Advertisement
I fear we have ourselves a Bubba Starling situation.

I can't imagine the kid not being a top half of the first round pick. Kid is just too good of a baseball player. He's a bit small, but Anthony Rendon was just considered the best player in the draft last year and he's not exactly Hercules. I saw him against Florida Christian in the playoffs last year, and the kid just hits everything. Now, he might slide for whatever reason...players do every year (and slide big, as they can drop ROUNDS because of how fast the draft goes, so it wouldn't shock me) but whoever drafts him is drafting a good player. He can hit.

And yes, D$, I mentioned it in a recent post of mine, he's a top end athlete. He doesn't get a fair shake as a quarterback recruit on the sites because no one actually thinks he is showing up here and as such, haven't looked at him as a prospect in that regard.

Last edited:
I realize most of this board doesnt really care about baseball, but I am much more excited for this kid at Mark Light than I am at Greentree

Honestly, I hope Dewey/Crow are better than him. Not a big fan of having a QB that doesnt do Spring Practice.

Advertisement
Back