David Cooney

Advertisement
If you think about it the route tree in this offense is alot less complicated. They feel like he can recruit and that's probably the determining factor. I agree that it's not **** and probably lazy hire but understand the logic.

Advertisement
Coaching Wr is not rocket science.....but being an ace recruiter who can go into any school with "street cred" is invaluable
I feel like we all don't give WR coaches enough credit. Yes, it's not as technical as QB, OL or CB coach, but it makes a big difference if you WR run good routes, can read a defense and have sound technique when it comes to beating press coverage. It's one of the easier positions to coach and you should have an ace recruiter here, but he also should be able to coach. We have some raw talent at WR that need to be coached

I just disagree with the notion that MIA needs a recruiter more so @ WR coach than a technician. As Urban Meyer said S.Fla players may have talent & potential but they are raw. Meaning they need a lot of work. Which is why it is of the utmost importance that they receive coaching that is technically & fundamentally sound.

If Cooney was such a great technical coach, why is it Wiggins and Pope have struggled to make the transition to college? those guys are physically talented and flashed at times but struggle with consistency and fundamentals.

Advertisement
didnt he also help with cam williams also?
He helped with a lot of players. They just don't think he did bc he's not listed as a recruiter when they check 247. No off field coach is. Coaches brought Cooney with them to help land the two best players in the portal. That speaks for itself.

If Cooney was such a great technical coach, why is it Wiggins and Pope have struggled to make the transition to college? those guys are physically talented and flashed at times but struggle with consistency and fundamentals.
They have physical traits but not size they struggle with getting pressed which is because both lack weight and strength to create initial separation and with our o line last year u had to get open fast

Huh? Has he been WR coach these last 2 years?

Anyway is there any indication this is a possibility other than Ferman saying his name?

I think you mean Stubbs? He didn't recruit either of those players-Dugans did. They've also played in 2 different offenses during their first 2 yrs in college.

Advertisement
I think you mean Stubbs? He didn't recruit either of those players-Dugans did. They've also played in 2 different offenses during their first 2 yrs in college.

Nope I meant Cooney. For those saying he’s qualified, I’m asking what shows it bc his only experience is being an analyst here and a HS and pop warner coach....and the 2 guys everyone keeps saying he’s responsible for and coached since pop warner have struggled to acclimate to the college game even with their high end physical traits. So I’m struggling to see the qualifications outside of being a recruiter.

Advertisement
Nope I meant Cooney. For those saying he’s qualified, I’m asking what shows it bc his only experience is being an analyst here and a HS and pop warner coach....and the 2 guys everyone keeps saying he’s responsible for and coached since pop warner have struggled to acclimate to the college game even with their high end physical traits. So I’m struggling to see the qualifications outside of being a recruiter.

Yeah I agree with that. On the surface it would appear as though his main forte would be recruiting.

This might be a stupid comment but I thought he couldn’t be out on the road recruiting if he wasn’t a full time coach

Advertisement
Back