Davenport's "The Rise For Five" Documentary / 90's Era Rebuild Focus...

Wait a minute...A "Slip and Slide" was motivation for the UCLA win??

it was noticeable how much Najeh enjoyed telling that story, it really was one of his most memorable moments at UM

Butch was known for being pretty serious most of the time

Advertisement
Erickson went 19-5 his last two years, and all the signs of the decline were there. And for every Sapp and Ray Lewis in those recruiting classes, there were dozen of guys who washed out at UM.

Years ago during the Grassy days, I did a player-by-player breakdown of his classes. It was ugly
He destroyed the offensive line talent and depth. It was Worse than the 2000s receiver issue we developed when punter Brian Monroe had to fill-in.

Erickson went 19-5 his last two years, and all the signs of the decline were there. And for every Sapp and Ray Lewis in those recruiting classes, there were dozen of guys who washed out at UM.

Years ago during the Grassy days, I did a player-by-player breakdown of his classes. It was ugly
Do you still have the link to those breakdowns?? Haha

I remember when they went 9-3 in 93 and I thought the world was going to end. I was 14 and hadn’t seen a 9 win Miami team. (I was too young in 84 for Jimmy’s first season). Still, the 94 team went 10-2 with a loss to #1 Nebraska in what could have been a national championship game. So it’s not like they sucked during Dennis’ last few years. His problem was lazy recruiting, most notably offensive line and quarterback. The defense Butch inherited in 95 was still at top 25 unit but Ryan Collins was the only experienced quarterback and Clement and Covington weren’t exactly lighting it up.

Advertisement
Yes, culture is a big issue.... but so is some of play calling and on field coaching. Some of these coaches have no business being here.

I’ve seen this several times & I prefer this over The U doc on ESPN b/c Najee’s version is raw & unfiltered.

For the life of me, & no lie, it irks the chit out of me, but I’m not understanding how this fan base think culture is this fluff word, excuse. I’ve heard some of the greatest coaches in the NFL, NBA, CBB, & CFB all talk about culture. Again, I’ll reference the Redeem Team Netflix doc; the 2004 squad had:
-Iverson (HOF)
-Wade (future HOF)
-Anthony (future HOF)
-James (future HOF)
-Duncan (HOF)
-Stoudamire (6x All Star)
-Marion (4x All Star)
-Marbury (2x All Star)
-Boozer (2x All Star)
-Odom (2x NBA Champion/6 man of the Yr)
-Jefferson (NBA Champion)
-Emeka Okafor

Now clearly this wasn’t the 92 Dream team, but it could be argued, the ‘04 team was more talented than the ‘00 team on paper, & yet they got bodied in group play by Puerto Rico, & taxed by Argentina in the semis. Why? Culture. Players weren’t communicating, there was a disconnect, & the lesser talented teams had more cohesion.

It wasn’t until they got a new coach, and a new leader in Kobe in 2008 that showed them what real work ethic was about. They partied til 4:30a, like 2004 didn’t happen, & Bean was up at 4:30a telling them I’m in the gym if ya’ll wanna join.

Ppl think talent means culture, & it don’t. Talent don’t mean chit w/o proper structure. And just b/c a new coach comes in, doesn’t mean that all of a sudden that chit changes. Ask Coach K, who led majority of that 2004 team in 2006 & they still got bodied.

Imo, this fan base has become desensitized of all Hurricanes branded football. ****; how many times have we heard “player A is elite”, only for player A to be a bust & never heard from again, EVEN when they transfer! Imo, we’ve only had a handful of guys who would’ve fit right in during the early 2000’s, or ****, fit in at the Bama’s, Clemson’s, OSU’s etc of the world today.

Anyways, let me get off my soap box b4 I’m accused of making excuses for this yr, but clearly this program has been ravaged by poor coaching, evals, & leadership which have eroded our culture & sullied our brand. Mario & the entire AD is working hard to restore that, but it’ll take some time; not 5 yrs, but 2-3
Kobe telling everyone when they played Spain they were gonna run a pick with Gasol the first time down the court.

And he was going to run right through Gasol. Blasted him.

I remember when they went 9-3 in 93 and I thought the world was going to end. I was 14 and hadn’t seen a 9 win Miami team. (I was too young in 84 for Jimmy’s first season). Still, the 94 team went 10-2 with a loss to #1 Nebraska in what could have been a national championship game. So it’s not like they sucked during Dennis’ last few years. His problem was lazy recruiting, most notably offensive line and quarterback. The defense Butch inherited in 95 was still at top 25 unit but Ryan Collins was the only experienced quarterback and Clement and Covington weren’t exactly lighting it up.
Erickson Won 2 NCs with 95% of JJs kids...and oddly enough, it was Butch who closed on the kids JJ left him...

Advertisement
I highly enjoyed part 2. Did any of you hear Butch mentioning Jim Tressel interviewed for the job in the mid 90’s? I don’t think his sweater vest and tie would have worked down here. Lol.

Advertisement
Back