Davenport's "The Rise For Five" Documentary / 90's Era Rebuild Focus...

ItsAUThing.com

Following 'The U' since '82—covering it since '96.

Everyone has seen the glitzy, well-produced Rakontur-delivered ESPN "30 For 30" docs on Miami; made for the masses and outsiders—a simple rise-and-fall-and-rise-again story that even the non-fan would be captivated by.

Here's another plug for Najeh Davenport's "The U Reloaded : The Rise For Five" documentary from 2014.

A little lower-budgeted, but player-driven and a much deeper dive into that seven-year period from probation hitting (1995) to that fifth national title (2001)—and the hard work, attitude, effort and grind it took for Miami to rebuild itself—opposed to the program retrospect Billy Corben's two documentaries were.

Again, a different era and different type of dog player—no one is expecting the caliber of hard-*** Gen X ballers to walk through the door and rush to be the foundation-layers for a rebuild. It's still a TikTok generation and different breed of athlete in 2023—but there are still kids who want to come to UM to work hard, play football, take care of business in the weight room / with practice / with the playbook—as their goal is to win championships and reach the NFL.

The entire documentary is must-watch TV, but for those who don't want to watch, at least invest SEVEN MINUTES of your day—from the 2:00 to 9:00 mark—and listen to the culture shift from the Dennis Erickson locker room to the new Butch Davis locker room; the older guys that didn't buy in versus the guys who showed up year two that basically took over; Edgerrrin James, Al Blades, Damione Lewis, Bubba Franks, James Jackson, Nate Webster.

Those 1996 cats were the new face of the program and they talked about finding the next wave of dogs in future classes, taking them under their wing and getting them on board with their attitude and mindset (Najeh Davenport, Clint Hurtt, Daryl Jones, James Lewis, Dan Morgan, Santana Moss, Leonard Myers, Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne in 1997—the dogs that brought this thing back to close by 1999, mostly-back by 2000—screwed out of title shot—and fully back by 2001.)

Earl Little hits out the gate; says the new Davis era was "like an iron fist coming down" and that old guys weren't having it. Rod Mack was around for both and said there was a big transition from the old Dennis Erickson locker room to the new Davis-era locker room. Omar Rolle talked about older players not buying into Butch's "my way or the highway" attitude.

Delvin Brown said, “I think the thing that was unique about us when we came in—because we were so few—the camaraderie amongst ourselves forced us to compete harder and a lot of us were thrust into playing roles, or starting roles, right away"—while Franks mentioned that if the old heads weren't going to do anything about the program underachieving and losing football games, the younger guys would handle it (which the old guys didn't like.)

Joaquin Gonzalez talked about guys from the pre-Davis era not setting a tone in the locker room; something that changes when James, Lewis, Blades and guys like Webster. Gonzalez also went on to explain the cultural buy-in that workouts where were games were won. Training wasn't just about strength or agility, it was done to get players ready to face adversity—the former offensive lineman crediting the strength coaches as much, if not more than the X's, O's and game scheming.

If guys didn't make their time, they'd stay on the field as they knew knock-down, drag-out, tear-up-the-locker room scraps would follow—as the job was to be taken serious and the efforts personally.

“We didn’t allow weakness. You came in, you worked, you ran, you lifted, you got stronger, you competed in practice—all that, every day,” said Lewis.

Again, fully expect this fan base to remain at odds over Cristobal, Gattis, Steele and the speed of the turnaround / the depths of the rebuild—but when looking back at history there's no ignoring the cultural issues that can exist between and old regime and a new one—and in all the failed coaching changes the past 17 years (Cristobal the sixth UM head coach in that span), there is a pretty large chasm between the way Manny Diaz ran this program and the way Cristobal is attempting to run his regime.

Realistically speaking, it's going to take flushing out wrong-fit players this off-season, hitting the portal for guys who want to be here (a la Mel Tucker at Michigan State going into '21) as well as off-season personnel changes (getting rid of wrong-fit assistants) and making sure the new crop of recruits is on the right side of things culturally and not tainted by checked-out upperclassmen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's a great documentary. A few clips with Moffat in the pits and you'll see how different things were. Players eating up his intensity. I think something like "the pride of the Miami Hurricanes will not be entrusted to the weak..."

Go Canes!
The pride and tradition of the Miami hurricanes shall not be entrusted to the timid and the weak!!!

You like being 5-6?!!!
Well then…….

Different different

Everyone has seen the glitzy, well-produced Rakontur-delivered ESPN "30 For 30" docs on Miami; made for the masses and outsiders—a simple rise-and-fall-and-rise-again story that even the non-fan would be captivated by.

Here's another plug for Najeh Davenport's "The U Reloaded : The Rise For Five" documentary from 2014.

A little lower-budgeted, but player-driven and a much deeper dive into that seven-year period from probation hitting (1995) to that fifth national title (2001)—and the hard work, attitude, effort and grind it took for Miami to rebuild itself—opposed to the program retrospect Billy Corben's two documentaries were.

Again, a different era and different type of dog player—no one is expecting the caliber of hard-*** Gen X ballers to walk through the door and rush to be the foundation-layers for a rebuild. It's still a TikTok generation and different breed of athlete in 2023—but there are still kids who want to come to UM to work hard, play football, take care of business in the weight room / with practice / with the playbook—as their goal is to win championships and reach the NFL.

The entire documentary is must-watch TV, but for those who don't want to watch, at least invest SEVEN MINUTES of your day—from the 2:00 to 9:00 mark—and listen to the culture shift from the Dennis Erickson locker room to the new Butch Davis locker room; the older guys that didn't buy in versus the guys who showed up year two that basically took over; Edgerrrin James, Al Blades, Damione Lewis, Bubba Franks, James Jackson, Nate Webster.

Those 1996 cats were the new face of the program and they talked about finding the next wave of dogs in future classes, taking them under their wing and getting them on board with their attitude and mindset (Najeh Davenport, Clint Hurtt, Daryl Jones, James Lewis, Dan Morgan, Santana Moss, Leonard Myers, Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne in 1997—the dogs that brought this thing back to close by 1999, mostly-back by 2000—screwed out of title shot—and fully back by 2001.)

Earl Little hits out the gate; says the new Davis era was "like an iron fist coming down" and that old guys weren't having it. Rod Mack was around for both and said there was a big transition from the old Dennis Erickson locker room to the new Davis-era locker room. Omar Rolle talked about older players not buying into Butch's "my way or the highway" attitude.

Delvin Brown said, “I think the thing that was unique about us when we came in—because we were so few—the camaraderie amongst ourselves forced us to compete harder and a lot of us were thrust into playing roles, or starting roles, right away"—while Franks mentioned that if the old heads weren't going to do anything about the program underachieving and losing football games, the younger guys would handle it (which the old guys didn't like.)

Joaquin Gonzalez talked about guys from the pre-Davis era not setting a tone in the locker room; something that changes when James, Lewis, Blades and guys like Webster. Gonzalez also went on to explain the cultural buy-in that workouts where were games were won. Training wasn't just about strength or agility, it was done to get players ready to face adversity—the former offensive lineman crediting the strength coaches as much, if not more than the X's, O's and game scheming.

If guys didn't make their time, they'd stay on the field as they knew knock-down, drag-out, tear-up-the-locker room scraps would follow—as the job was to be taken serious and the efforts personally.

“We didn’t allow weakness. You came in, you worked, you ran, you lifted, you got stronger, you competed in practice—all that, every day,” said Lewis.

Again, fully expect this fan base to remain at odds over Cristobal, Gattis, Steele and the speed of the turnaround / the depths of the rebuild—but when looking back at history there's no ignoring the cultural issues that can exist between and old regime and a new one—and in all the failed coaching changes the past 17 years (Cristobal the sixth UM head coach in that span), there is a pretty large chasm between the way Manny Diaz ran this program and the way Cristobal is attempting to run his regime.

Realistically speaking, it's going to take flushing out wrong-fit players this off-season, hitting the portal for guys who want to be here (a la Mel Tucker at Michigan State going into '21) as well as off-season personnel changes (getting rid of wrong-fit assistants) and making sure the new crop of recruits is on the right side of things culturally and not tainted by checked-out upperclassmen.

I’ve seen this several times & I prefer this over The U doc on ESPN b/c Najee’s version is raw & unfiltered.

For the life of me, & no lie, it irks the chit out of me, but I’m not understanding how this fan base think culture is this fluff word, excuse. I’ve heard some of the greatest coaches in the NFL, NBA, CBB, & CFB all talk about culture. Again, I’ll reference the Redeem Team Netflix doc; the 2004 squad had:
-Iverson (HOF)
-Wade (future HOF)
-Anthony (future HOF)
-James (future HOF)
-Duncan (HOF)
-Stoudamire (6x All Star)
-Marion (4x All Star)
-Marbury (2x All Star)
-Boozer (2x All Star)
-Odom (2x NBA Champion/6 man of the Yr)
-Jefferson (NBA Champion)
-Emeka Okafor

Now clearly this wasn’t the 92 Dream team, but it could be argued, the ‘04 team was more talented than the ‘00 team on paper, & yet they got bodied in group play by Puerto Rico, & taxed by Argentina in the semis. Why? Culture. Players weren’t communicating, there was a disconnect, & the lesser talented teams had more cohesion.

It wasn’t until they got a new coach, and a new leader in Kobe in 2008 that showed them what real work ethic was about. They partied til 4:30a, like 2004 didn’t happen, & Bean was up at 4:30a telling them I’m in the gym if ya’ll wanna join.

Ppl think talent means culture, & it don’t. Talent don’t mean chit w/o proper structure. And just b/c a new coach comes in, doesn’t mean that all of a sudden that chit changes. Ask Coach K, who led majority of that 2004 team in 2006 & they still got bodied.

Imo, this fan base has become desensitized of all Hurricanes branded football. ****; how many times have we heard “player A is elite”, only for player A to be a bust & never heard from again, EVEN when they transfer! Imo, we’ve only had a handful of guys who would’ve fit right in during the early 2000’s, or ****, fit in at the Bama’s, Clemson’s, OSU’s etc of the world today.

Anyways, let me get off my soap box b4 I’m accused of making excuses for this yr, but clearly this program has been ravaged by poor coaching, evals, & leadership which have eroded our culture & sullied our brand. Mario & the entire AD is working hard to restore that, but it’ll take some time; not 5 yrs, but 2-3

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve seen this several times & I prefer this over The U doc on ESPN b/c Najee’s version is raw & unfiltered.

For the life of me, & no lie, it irks the chit out of me, but I’m not understanding how this fan base think culture is this fluff word, excuse. I’ve heard some of the greatest coaches in the NFL, NBA, CBB, & CFB all talk about culture. Again, I’ll reference the Redeem Team Netflix doc; the 2004 squad had:
-Iverson (HOF)
-Wade (future HOF)
-Anthony (future HOF)
-James (future HOF)
-Duncan (HOF)
-Marion (4x All Star)
-Marbury (2x All Star)
-Boozer (2x All Star)
-Emeka Okafor

Now clearly this wasn’t the 92 Dream team, but it could be argued, the ‘04 team was more talented than the ‘00 team on paper, & yet they got bodied in group play by Puerto Rico, & taxed by Argentina in the semis. Why? Culture. Players weren’t communicating, there was a disconnect, & the lesser talented teams have more cohesion.

It wasn’t until they got a new coach, and a new leader in Kobe in 2008 that showed them what real work ethic was about. They partied til 4:30a, like 2004 didn’t happen, & Bean was up at 4:30a telling them I’m in the gym if ya’ll wanna join.

Ppl think talent means culture, & it don’t. Talent don’t mean chit w/o proper structure. And just b/c a new coach comes in, doesn’t mean that all of a sudden that chit changes. Ask Coach K, who led majority of that 2004 team in 2006 & they still got bodied.

Imo, this fan base has become desensitized of all Hurricanes branded football. ****; how times have we heard player A is elite? Only for player A to be a bust & never heard from again, EVEN when they transfer. Imo, we’ve only had a handful of guys who would’ve fit right in during the early 2000’s, or ****, fit in at the Bama’s, Clemson’s, OSU’s etc of the world today.

Anyways, let me get off my soap box b4 I’m accused of making excuses for this yr, but clearly this program has been ravaged by poor coaching, evals, & leadership which is eroded our culture & sullied our brand. Mario & the entire AD is working hard to restore that, but it’ll take some time; not 5 yrs, but 2-3

Why you trying to bring in reason and logic into the discussions, my G?

I'm with you. Culture is not just a buzz word.

Why you trying to bring in reason and logic into the discussions, my G?

I'm with you. Culture is not just a buzz word.

It’s frowned upon, here. Lol.

Two things can be true; we have a **** poor offensive philosophy, & we also have a **** poor culture.

I’ve seen poor habits & techniques that was here well b4 Mario. U wanna see some chit that’s indicative of the erosion of Miami’s standards & culture? Look no further than a couple of drives last season against FSU. And u’ll see those same culprits in 2022.

-Iverson (HOF)
-Wade (future HOF)
-Anthony (future HOF)
-James (future HOF)
-Duncan (HOF)
-Marion (4x All Star)
-Marbury (2x All Star)
-Boozer (2x All Star)
-Emeka Okafor

Now clearly this wasn’t the 92 Dream team, but it could be argued, the ‘04 team was more talented than the ‘00 team on paper, & yet they got bodied in group play by Puerto Rico, & taxed by Argentina in the semis. Why? Culture. Players weren’t communicating, there was a disconnect, & the lesser talented teams have more cohesion.

Imo, this fan base has become desensitized of all Hurricanes branded football. ****; how times have we heard player A is elite? Only for player A to be a bust & never heard from again, EVEN when they transfer. Imo, we’ve only had a handful of guys who would’ve fit right in during the early 2000’s, or ****, fit in at the Bama’s, Clemson’s, OSU’s etc of the world today.

Anyways, let me get off my soap box b4 I’m accused of making excuses for this yr, but clearly this program has been ravaged by poor coaching, evals, & leadership which is eroded our culture & sullied our brand. Mario & the entire AD is working hard to restore that, but it’ll take some time; not 5 yrs, but 2-3
Richard Jefferson alone is responsible for losing to Puerto Rico but we should have dominated.

Advertisement
It’s no coincidence that those last few Erickson recruiting classes were full of duds and those guys were the “culture” problem. He got out of town just about the time he no longer had Jimmy’s recruits to win him rings. He really didn’t leave much in the cupboard for Butch, especially on the offensive side.

It’s no secret that Dennis was way too lenient and too much of a player’s coach. But…was there a culture issue when he had the most talented team and went 44-4 with two nattys in his first four seasons? Or did the bad culture seep in once those star players left and got replaced with lesser talents?

Gonzalez talked about guys from the pre-Davis era not setting a tone in the locker room; something that changes when James, Lewis, Blades and guys like Webster. Gonzalez also went on to explain the cultural buy-in that workouts where were games were won. Training wasn't just about strength or agility, it was done to get players ready to face adversity—the former offensive lineman crediting the strength coaches as much, if not more than the X's, O's and game scheming.

Thanks so much for this I probably wouldn't have seen it.
I did think that Joaquin could only say "dominate"

Advertisement
Good **** OP I hadn’t seen this before. Great watch. Need to get back to the point where players are executing code reds when mofos fooling around.

It’s no coincidence that those last few Erickson recruiting classes were full of duds and those guys were the “culture” problem. He got out of town just about the time he no longer had Jimmy’s recruits to win him rings. He really didn’t leave much in the cupboard for Butch, especially on the offensive side.

It’s no secret that Dennis was way too lenient and too much of a player’s coach. But…was there a culture issue when he had the most talented team and went 44-4 with two nattys in his first four seasons? Or did the bad culture seep in once those star players left and got replaced with lesser talents?

Erickson went 19-5 his last two years, and all the signs of the decline were there. And for every Sapp and Ray Lewis in those recruiting classes, there were dozen of guys who washed out at UM.

Years ago during the Grassy days, I did a player-by-player breakdown of his classes. It was ugly

Advertisement
Back