Dave Hyde: Quit Your Whining

Hyde is simply looking at numbers. Sure Kayaa threw the same amount of passes in the second half but the circumstances under which he was throwing was absolutely different.

Because UM was balanced on first down. They were able to keep FSU off balance not allowing them to simply send edge heat at Kayaa on every drop back. In the second half that was not the case and I'd love to see the down and distance of every Kayaa throw. Since we went into a shell on 1st down when Kayaa did drop back it was obvious passing situations. Obvious passing situations = blitz all day.

I think a stat showed that Kayaa was 6/7 when blitzed in the first half and in the second half it all feel apart. Did Kayaa in a matter of 15 minutes forget how to play football? No, the play calling put him in bad spots. FSU ignored our play action in the 2nd half basically.

Same can be said about the defense. Sure we played a really good game. Sure they caught some breaks. Sure the refs missued and retracted some bad holding calls. But in the first half that Grace delayed blitz was awesome caught tthem off balanced. But we keep doing it even when they started to pick it up. Why not at least move grace and let him take amother angle or send someone else now that they were keying on grace?

The defense I was ok with the offense I am not. When u have players like Dorsett and Warlord you have get them the rock at all cost.

This is a myth. Go check the play by play. We ran on 6 1st downs in the 2nd half and threw on 5 1st downs in the 2nd half. And that does not include the final drive which was obviously a passing situation. The difference was they played a lot better D in the 2nd half. I know it doesn't fit the prevailing theme that we went conservative in the 2nd half, but the facts are facts. We also threw downfield to Coley in the 2nd half, Dobard across the middle (fumble) and Duke down the sidelines. Kaaya was just not as sharp in the 2nd half and got a lot of balls batted down at the line

They adjusted their defense and we didn't adjust our offense to attack those coverages. Instead, we took what the defense gave us. In the first half, we dictated to the defense. Any way you want to slice it, that's a difference in approach. That's a fact I'd like to see disputed. I've now re-watched enough of the game and stared at specific plays over and over that we can discuss more than just statistics without context or our feelings about what we saw.

we actually had some good things to counter act what they were doing and a **** deflection changed so much. I wanted to be mad about the playcalls (and even though they weren't always perfect there were plays to be had and a tipped ball changed it all). Everyone only talks about the deflection on the 3rd down play to Dorsett, but on the drive where we had to settle for a FG Kaaya had three deflected passes that would have been huge gainers. The first was the one for Yearby by Ramsey. The second was the 1st down throw to Stan who wide open for what would have either been a TD or given us 1st and goal and the ball was tipped at the los by Goldman. The 3rd one was more of the issue I have with or passing philosophy where Ramsey comes off PD who was in the slot on a blitz and instead of it being a hot route and PD just squating there in the zone because there wasn't anyone w/in 10 yards of him. He tries to run past the Safety who was already 12 yards deep and Kaaya has to wait for this long developing route and ends up getting hit as he threw the ball by Ramsey and it just ends up being a high floater in the middle of the field.

Again there are things I question, but **** even when we had FSU beat on a play they some how made a big play by the slightest of margins.

The tip on the play to Yearby for the dump off in the flat was a big one. I mentioned it in another thread. It was actually a well-setup play and we probably get inside the 15 (if not more) on that play alone. My biggest problem with Coley last year was his insanely obvious tendencies re: personnel groupings. I could tell you run or pass and probably within 2-3 plays just because of the guys we had out there. He has really cleaned that up this year.

He actually caught me (and FSU) off guard on the long Walford TD. That was a jumbo package that I thought we'd fake snap and re-align to a run. Trips with Tucker out wide, Dobard next to him and Walford inside. It gave Walford the easy matchup and bam, TD. That's the stuff people say "Walford's a boss," but it's pretty much setup by a coach doing his job.

My issue with Coley at the beginning of the year was his lack of identity or focus. He went ahead and cleaned that **** up pretty well. Stopped trying to do so **** much. My existing issue is that he lacks some anticipation. I'm not asking for a Sean Payton level strategist (even he makes mistakes, obviously), but we're at a disadvantage and it's tough for players when the other team goes to 2-deep and we say "ok, fine, you can decide what we're going to do for the rest of the game."

Second year in the history of his life calling plays.

We're demanding and rightfully so, but he simply isn't going to be Norm Chow right in through here.

The encouraging part about it, which you highlighted, is the improvements.

It means he (or Golden) is aware and is constantly grading to improve.

It's probably the reason that Golden ain't going to get fired

He's actually begun to show the capacity to improve and get better on the job. (however gradual those improvements come...improvement nonetheless)

Advertisement
Hyde is simply looking at numbers. Sure Kayaa threw the same amount of passes in the second half but the circumstances under which he was throwing was absolutely different.

Because UM was balanced on first down. They were able to keep FSU off balance not allowing them to simply send edge heat at Kayaa on every drop back. In the second half that was not the case and I'd love to see the down and distance of every Kayaa throw. Since we went into a shell on 1st down when Kayaa did drop back it was obvious passing situations. Obvious passing situations = blitz all day.

I think a stat showed that Kayaa was 6/7 when blitzed in the first half and in the second half it all feel apart. Did Kayaa in a matter of 15 minutes forget how to play football? No, the play calling put him in bad spots. FSU ignored our play action in the 2nd half basically.

Same can be said about the defense. Sure we played a really good game. Sure they caught some breaks. Sure the refs missued and retracted some bad holding calls. But in the first half that Grace delayed blitz was awesome caught tthem off balanced. But we keep doing it even when they started to pick it up. Why not at least move grace and let him take amother angle or send someone else now that they were keying on grace?

The defense I was ok with the offense I am not. When u have players like Dorsett and Warlord you have get them the rock at all cost.

This is a myth. Go check the play by play. We ran on 6 1st downs in the 2nd half and threw on 5 1st downs in the 2nd half. And that does not include the final drive which was obviously a passing situation. The difference was they played a lot better D in the 2nd half. I know it doesn't fit the prevailing theme that we went conservative in the 2nd half, but the facts are facts. We also threw downfield to Coley in the 2nd half, Dobard across the middle (fumble) and Duke down the sidelines. Kaaya was just not as sharp in the 2nd half and got a lot of balls batted down at the line

They adjusted their defense and we didn't adjust our offense to attack those coverages. Instead, we took what the defense gave us. In the first half, we dictated to the defense. Any way you want to slice it, that's a difference in approach. That's a fact I'd like to see disputed. I've now re-watched enough of the game and stared at specific plays over and over that we can discuss more than just statistics without context or our feelings about what we saw.

we actually had some good things to counter act what they were doing and a **** deflection changed so much. I wanted to be mad about the playcalls (and even though they weren't always perfect there were plays to be had and a tipped ball changed it all). Everyone only talks about the deflection on the 3rd down play to Dorsett, but on the drive where we had to settle for a FG Kaaya had three deflected passes that would have been huge gainers. The first was the one for Yearby by Ramsey. The second was the 1st down throw to Stan who wide open for what would have either been a TD or given us 1st and goal and the ball was tipped at the los by Goldman. The 3rd one was more of the issue I have with or passing philosophy where Ramsey comes off PD who was in the slot on a blitz and instead of it being a hot route and PD just squating there in the zone because there wasn't anyone w/in 10 yards of him. He tries to run past the Safety who was already 12 yards deep and Kaaya has to wait for this long developing route and ends up getting hit as he threw the ball by Ramsey and it just ends up being a high floater in the middle of the field.

Again there are things I question, but **** even when we had FSU beat on a play they some how made a big play by the slightest of margins.

The tip on the play to Yearby for the dump off in the flat was a big one. I mentioned it in another thread. It was actually a well-setup play and we probably get inside the 15 (if not more) on that play alone. My biggest problem with Coley last year was his insanely obvious tendencies re: personnel groupings. I could tell you run or pass and probably within 2-3 plays just because of the guys we had out there. He has really cleaned that up this year.

He actually caught me (and FSU) off guard on the long Walford TD. That was a jumbo package that I thought we'd fake snap and re-align to a run. Trips with Tucker out wide, Dobard next to him and Walford inside. It gave Walford the easy matchup and bam, TD. That's the stuff people say "Walford's a boss," but it's pretty much setup by a coach doing his job.

My issue with Coley at the beginning of the year was his lack of identity or focus. He went ahead and cleaned that **** up pretty well. Stopped trying to do so **** much. My existing issue is that he lacks some anticipation. I'm not asking for a Sean Payton level strategist (even he makes mistakes, obviously), but we're at a disadvantage and it's tough for players when the other team goes to 2-deep and we say "ok, fine, you can decide what we're going to do for the rest of the game."

I agree, my biggest problem from Sat was personnel decisions offensively and defensively more than anything else. It was amazing that that our best running plays came out of trips and our biggest passing plays came out 12 or 22 personnel (for as great as the Walford TD was the PD TD was a beautiful setup as well). That's why the decision to run more in the second isn't what bothered me, however running more out of 12/22 personnel was disappointing. We stop creating those Walford on Cashier mismatches and tried mano a mano to much in the second half with plays like the flare screen to Duke where we were asking Walford to block Ramsey in space or the stretch play where we wanted Stan to block MEJ one on one.

Also you're right about lack of anticipation that he still has. I believe whole heartedly that he expected Ramsey to blitz off the edge again on that 4th and 9 play.

I agree, my biggest problem from Sat was personnel decisions offensively and defensively more than anything else. It was amazing that that our best running plays came out of trips and our biggest passing plays came out 12 or 22 personnel (for as great as the Walford TD was the PD TD was a beautiful setup as well). That's why the decision to run more in the second isn't what bothered me, however running more out of 12/22 personnel was disappointing. We stop creating those Walford on Cashier mismatches and tried mano a mano to much in the second half with plays like the flare screen to Duke where we were asking Walford to block Ramsey in space or the stretch play where we wanted Stan to block MEJ one on one.

Also you're right about lack of anticipation that he still has. I believe whole heartedly that he expected Ramsey to blitz off the edge again on that 4th and 9 play.

This is exactly what I've been repeating all over the board. I think it's a critical distinction. Someone yesterday decided to copy/paste the play by play. Showed the amount of passes and runs. I provided an example of how that could be misleading. Someone else mentioned deep throws. Another person explained we were running the ball against 2 deep Safeties. All of that stuff may be true, but we had given up on creating mismatches because we were either (1) out of plays (I have to believe in my heart that's not really possible, plus we only ran some sets once and I saw other things in other games) or (2) we figured mano a mano is a less risky way to hold on to the lead.

And, that right there, folks, is what I'm talking about when it comes to aggression. That is a tone that comes directly from the top. Maybe of the administration. What kind of program do we want to be? Wins should not be enough. Wins are a byproduct of a style of play where (1) our kids never give up, but naturally make mistakes, (2) our coaches do everything to win games rather than NOT lose, and (3) we have fun doing it.

I hope we see that kind of program again. If we don't, I hope Kaaya or players like him transcend the approach of their leaders.

But come on Lu, the guy is working with a true Frosh. There is only so much he can do to help Kaaya react to different coverages and adjustments he may not be used to. There is what he can prepare Kaaya for in practice and with the game plan. Then there is having to adjust on the fly, to the unknown, during the second half of a game, with a TRUE FROSH, who just doesn't have the depth of experience and exposure to be able to see what the defense is now doing and exploit it quickly. I think the offensive struggles were a combination of factors. Kaaya's youth being a big one. I DO agree that Coley was trying to get the running game going with Duke in the second half, and I don't really have a problem with that. FSU started playing to stop the pass more, and Duke was actually getting some decent yardage. Then he started to cramp up, and Kaaya made a few freshman mistakes. Once that started happening, he got out of rythym and with Duke going in and out, pass protection also started to become a problem.

When you have to be relying on TOO many Freshmen, you are going to have a problem, I don't care WHO the coordinator is. You had Kaaya and Yearby in the back field for much of the 4th quarter, and that was BOUND to cause confusion, miscommunication, and mistakes. Look at what Berrios cost us. That was horrific, but again, he's a young kid in his first season.

I agree with you that Coley made some definite blunders in the second half. Compared to the brilliant first half he called. But part of that I think has to be accounted for with having a true Frosh at QB, and topping that off late with not being able to rely on Duke.

But come on Lu, the guy is working with a true Frosh. There is only so much he can do to help Kaaya react to different coverages and adjustments he may not be used to. There is what he can prepare Kaaya for in practice and with the game plan. Then there is having to adjust on the fly, to the unknown, during the second half of a game, with a TRUE FROSH, who just doesn't have the depth of experience and exposure to be able to see what the defense is now doing and exploit it quickly. I think the offensive struggles were a combination of factors. Kaaya's youth being a big one. I DO agree that Coley was trying to get the running game going with Duke in the second half, and I don't really have a problem with that. FSU started playing to stop the pass more, and Duke was actually getting some decent yardage. Then he started to cramp up, and Kaaya made a few freshman mistakes. Once that started happening, he got out of rythym and with Duke going in and out, pass protection also started to become a problem.

When you have to be relying on TOO many Freshmen, you are going to have a problem, I don't care WHO the coordinator is. You had Kaaya and Yearby in the back field for much of the 4th quarter, and that was BOUND to cause confusion, miscommunication, and mistakes. Look at what Berrios cost us. That was horrific, but again, he's a young kid in his first season.

I agree with you that Coley made some definite blunders in the second half. Compared to the brilliant first half he called. But part of that I think has to be accounted for with having a true Frosh at QB, and topping that off late with not being able to rely on Duke.

How dense are you? Lu is saying that we went away from what worked in the first half. That stuff was done with the VERY SAME True Freshman QB, who dominated FSU in the first half. Him being a true freshman had zero bearing on us dominating the game in the first half, why would it prevent Coley from being aggressive in the second half? Another pointless novel.

Advertisement
So FSU adjusted, but our coaches didnt think to plan for their adjustments? Smart move.

****. They should have installed another year or two of experience into Brad's programming so he was better prepared to go up against their zone defense. Stupid coaches.

Advertisement
Back