Dave Hyde: Quit Your Whining

Advertisement
Hyde is simply looking at numbers. Sure Kayaa threw the same amount of passes in the second half but the circumstances under which he was throwing was absolutely different.

Because UM was balanced on first down. They were able to keep FSU off balance not allowing them to simply send edge heat at Kayaa on every drop back. In the second half that was not the case and I'd love to see the down and distance of every Kayaa throw. Since we went into a shell on 1st down when Kayaa did drop back it was obvious passing situations. Obvious passing situations = blitz all day.

I think a stat showed that Kayaa was 6/7 when blitzed in the first half and in the second half it all feel apart. Did Kayaa in a matter of 15 minutes forget how to play football? No, the play calling put him in bad spots. FSU ignored our play action in the 2nd half basically.

Same can be said about the defense. Sure we played a really good game. Sure they caught some breaks. Sure the refs missued and retracted some bad holding calls. But in the first half that Grace delayed blitz was awesome caught tthem off balanced. But we keep doing it even when they started to pick it up. Why not at least move grace and let him take amother angle or send someone else now that they were keying on grace?

The defense I was ok with the offense I am not. When u have players like Dorsett and Warlord you have get them the rock at all cost.

I actually thought our defensive approach was just as, if not more, conservative in the 2nd half.

Hyde is simply looking at numbers. Sure Kayaa threw the same amount of passes in the second half but the circumstances under which he was throwing was absolutely different.

Because UM was balanced on first down. They were able to keep FSU off balance not allowing them to simply send edge heat at Kayaa on every drop back. In the second half that was not the case and I'd love to see the down and distance of every Kayaa throw. Since we went into a shell on 1st down when Kayaa did drop back it was obvious passing situations. Obvious passing situations = blitz all day.

I think a stat showed that Kayaa was 6/7 when blitzed in the first half and in the second half it all feel apart. Did Kayaa in a matter of 15 minutes forget how to play football? No, the play calling put him in bad spots. FSU ignored our play action in the 2nd half basically.

Same can be said about the defense. Sure we played a really good game. Sure they caught some breaks. Sure the refs missued and retracted some bad holding calls. But in the first half that Grace delayed blitz was awesome caught tthem off balanced. But we keep doing it even when they started to pick it up. Why not at least move grace and let him take amother angle or send someone else now that they were keying on grace?

The defense I was ok with the offense I am not. When u have players like Dorsett and Warlord you have get them the rock at all cost.

This is a myth. Go check the play by play. We ran on 6 1st downs in the 2nd half and threw on 5 1st downs in the 2nd half. And that does not include the final drive which was obviously a passing situation. The difference was they played a lot better D in the 2nd half. I know it doesn't fit the prevailing theme that we went conservative in the 2nd half, but the facts are facts. We also threw downfield to Coley in the 2nd half, Dobard across the middle (fumble) and Duke down the sidelines. Kaaya was just not as sharp in the 2nd half and got a lot of balls batted down at the line

Advertisement
Problem was FSU quit playing man to man and went to mostly zone coverage in the second half. Brad was picking them apart in their man coverage but he, like most young QB's, has more trouble against zone coverage. It worked for FSU because he is a young and inexperienced QB. Hopefully by next year he will have the experience so that things like this don't matter.

FSU came out to start the game, and flat out dared Kaaya and Miami to throw. They are up close to the LOS, and playing aggressive attacking downhill in the running game.

Once Kaaya shredded their man to man coverage, they backed off played more zone 2nd half. There DL also upped it's game.

Bottomline is that they got better players and the bounces went their way. What's so hard to understand... Last time I looked they hadn't lost in 2 years, They are ranked 1-3 in the country and we weren't even cracking the top 25. Let it go dudes...

We are playing much better now and are finally competing...

we had no answer to the zone, when they were man to man and attacking we blugeoned them, when they went to zone, we needed to run the ball and we didnt consistently enough

Advertisement
It's not so much that we lost to a talented team, it is again on how we lost. After 4 "it's how we lost losses" this year alone the fingers are pointed at the Head Coach. We lost to 3 inferior teams in UL, Neb, GT where the coaches had putrid gameplans and failed to adjust. FSU was a game that is a justifiable loss from the point of view that we didn't lose to a sucky team. However, we had them on the ropes and let them go which again is on the coach

This is a myth. Go check the play by play. We ran on 6 1st downs in the 2nd half and threw on 5 1st downs in the 2nd half. And that does not include the final drive which was obviously a passing situation. The difference was they played a lot better D in the 2nd half. I know it doesn't fit the prevailing theme that we went conservative in the 2nd half, but the facts are facts. We also threw downfield to Coley in the 2nd half, Dobard across the middle (fumble) and Duke down the sidelines. Kaaya was just not as sharp in the 2nd half and got a lot of balls batted down at the line

They adjusted their defense and we didn't adjust our offense to attack those coverages. Instead, we took what the defense gave us. In the first half, we dictated to the defense. Any way you want to slice it, that's a difference in approach. That's a fact I'd like to see disputed. I've now re-watched enough of the game and stared at specific plays over and over that we can discuss more than just statistics without context or our feelings about what we saw.

So FSU adjusted, but our coaches didnt think to plan for their adjustments? Smart move.

anyone that says miami didn't go conservative in the 2nd half is either lying or blind.

Advertisement
That was a signature game that must be won at all costs. The program, the seniors and Duke, recruiting, the Coastal.

Nebraska just had a Wisconsin player break the single-game rushing record against them. GT lost to Duke and UNC. It's pathetic that some on here support this staff by saying we are getting better and changing after each loss. What happened to watching film and changing the game strategy based off of the opponent's strengths? Because I haven't seen any improvement in preparation with Golden.

I guess that is what we get when we accept asinine coach speak like 'the guys are maturing each game'. GTFOH.

Nebraska just had a Wisconsin player break the single-game rushing record against them. GT lost to Duke and UNC. It's pathetic that some on here support this staff by saying we are getting better and changing after each loss. What happened to watching film and changing the game strategy based off of the opponent's strengths? Because I haven't seen any improvement in preparation with Golden.

I guess that is what we get when we accept asinine coach speak like 'the guys are maturing each game'. GTFOH.

This is what's maddening, I can take losing to the #1 team in the country, although we should have won, but getting abused by GT and Nebraska is completely inexcusable. When will this guy ever have this team ready to win a big game, how many more years do we need to give him?

Advertisement

They adjusted their defense and we didn't adjust our offense to attack those coverages. Instead, we took what the defense gave us. In the first half, we dictated to the defense. Any way you want to slice it, that's a difference in approach. That's a fact I'd like to see disputed. I've now re-watched enough of the game and stared at specific plays over and over that we can discuss more than just statistics without context or our feelings about what we saw.

we actually had some good things to counter act what they were doing and a **** deflection changed so much. I wanted to be mad about the playcalls (and even though they weren't always perfect there were plays to be had and a tipped ball changed it all). Everyone only talks about the deflection on the 3rd down play to Dorsett, but on the drive where we had to settle for a FG Kaaya had three deflected passes that would have been huge gainers. The first was the one for Yearby by Ramsey. The second was the 1st down throw to Stan who wide open for what would have either been a TD or given us 1st and goal and the ball was tipped at the los by Goldman. The 3rd one was more of the issue I have with or passing philosophy where Ramsey comes off PD who was in the slot on a blitz and instead of it being a hot route and PD just squating there in the zone because there wasn't anyone w/in 10 yards of him. He tries to run past the Safety who was already 12 yards deep and Kaaya has to wait for this long developing route and ends up getting hit as he threw the ball by Ramsey and it just ends up being a high floater in the middle of the field.

Again there are things I question, but **** even when we had FSU beat on a play they some how made a big play by the slightest of margins.

Problem was FSU quit playing man to man and went to mostly zone coverage in the second half. Brad was picking them apart in their man coverage but he, like most young QB's, has more trouble against zone coverage. It worked for FSU because he is a young and inexperienced QB. Hopefully by next year he will have the experience so that things like this don't matter.

Ahh the good old "next year" quote....does "next year" really mean next year (i.e., 2015) or does it mean 2020? I have been hearing "next year" since 2003

we actually had some good things to counter act what they were doing and a **** deflection changed so much. I wanted to be mad about the playcalls (and even though they weren't always perfect there were plays to be had and a tipped ball changed it all). Everyone only talks about the deflection on the 3rd down play to Dorsett, but on the drive where we had to settle for a FG Kaaya had three deflected passes that would have been huge gainers. The first was the one for Yearby by Ramsey. The second was the 1st down throw to Stan who wide open for what would have either been a TD or given us 1st and goal and the ball was tipped at the los by Goldman. The 3rd one was more of the issue I have with or passing philosophy where Ramsey comes off PD who was in the slot on a blitz and instead of it being a hot route and PD just squating there in the zone because there wasn't anyone w/in 10 yards of him. He tries to run past the Safety who was already 12 yards deep and Kaaya has to wait for this long developing route and ends up getting hit as he threw the ball by Ramsey and it just ends up being a high floater in the middle of the field.

Again there are things I question, but **** even when we had FSU beat on a play they some how made a big play by the slightest of margins.

The tip on the play to Yearby for the dump off in the flat was a big one. I mentioned it in another thread. It was actually a well-setup play and we probably get inside the 15 (if not more) on that play alone. My biggest problem with Coley last year was his insanely obvious tendencies re: personnel groupings. I could tell you run or pass and probably within 2-3 plays just because of the guys we had out there. He has really cleaned that up this year.

He actually caught me (and FSU) off guard on the long Walford TD. That was a jumbo package that I thought we'd fake snap and re-align to a run. Trips with Tucker out wide, Dobard next to him and Walford inside. It gave Walford the easy matchup and bam, TD. That's the stuff people say "Walford's a boss," but it's pretty much setup by a coach doing his job.

My issue with Coley at the beginning of the year was his lack of identity or focus. He went ahead and cleaned that **** up pretty well. Stopped trying to do so **** much. My existing issue is that he lacks some anticipation. I'm not asking for a Sean Payton level strategist (even he makes mistakes, obviously), but we're at a disadvantage and it's tough for players when the other team goes to 2-deep and we say "ok, fine, you can decide what we're going to do for the rest of the game."

my neighbor is a close childhood friend of Coley.

after our last win vs fsu, coley hosted them at his place in tally.

apparently, coley spent the rest of the sunday afterwards, looking at the film from their loss.

Advertisement
Back