Darrion Owens Safety, Outside Linebacker

Owens reminds me of a guy like Ramon Buchanon. Looks great in workouts and running around in gym shorts but doesn't make a lot of football plays for whatever reason. Then, Young is out there tackling everything in sight.

160 tackles, 11 tfl, 3 INT through two years isn't good production?

The production doesn't come close to matching the hype. 80 tackles per year in HS is weak as is 5 TFL per year. 5 TFL shows a guy who lacks instincts. With his physical skills he should have been flat out overwhelming the guys he was playing against.

His Junior year he played safety. Not going to rack up a ton of tackles, TFL's or sacks while playing safety there Chief...

Then why'd he have twice as many tackles as a Safety than he had as a LB, Chief...

No way his stats breakdown is correct: Season Statistics: 65 tackles, 6 for loss, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries. Meaning he had 95 tackles from the safety position as a jr? No way

Last edited:
Advertisement
Too many sleepers in this class. We need more proven high school players

Had SEC offers. I meant I think he will pan out to be the next Spence like performer for us

Lots of **** defenses in the SEC this year. You guys are so SEC brainwashed that you assume anyone they look at is awesome. I like Owens as a project because of his great tools, but to think he's not a project is wishful thinking.

Agree 100 percent on the last line. On the SEC this year, yeah they were awful defensively this year no doubt, but that will happen sometimes. Lets not act like the SEC hasnt been a beast in the defensive part of football.

Don't worry. Dorito will coach that out of him and have him sprinting, back to the play, 15 yards downfield.

That didn't take very long.
Very predictable. Turning a very positive post into coaches' bashing. Thank you.

But am I wrong? I stand by my post. Neg away.
Then you are a troll. You know why? Every fan knows that we don't have a good DC but with that, we are even in a more dire need for good players to make up for that. So, you come to the recruiting board, and post on a thread that praising one of our good defensive commits and regurgitate how bad or DC is. There is a time and place for every meaningful post. Bash away our staff on the football board. There are many threads there saying how awful "Dorito" is so go there and join the crowd. But taking the opportunity to turn a possibly positive thread into a negative one without adding substance to the topic is trolling. So, you are a troll and I hope you are banned.

Let's hope he can make it to Coral Gables in the next week, as he is on the list to try and get into school early from what i remember reading.

Advertisement
Don't worry. Dorito will coach that out of him and have him sprinting, back to the play, 15 yards downfield.

That didn't take very long.
Very predictable. Turning a very positive post into coaches' bashing. Thank you.

But am I wrong? I stand by my post. Neg away.
Then you are a troll. You know why? Every fan knows that we don't have a good DC but with that, we are even in a more dire need for good players to make up for that. So, you come to the recruiting board, and post on a thread that praising one of our good defensive commits and regurgitate how bad or DC is. There is a time and place for every meaningful post. Bash away our staff on the football board. There are many threads there saying how awful "Dorito" is so go there and join the crowd. But taking the opportunity to turn a possibly positive thread into a negative one without adding substance to the topic is trolling. So, you are a troll and I hope you are banned.

Amen

I would redshirt, very concerned about our coaches ability to develop raw content.

The production doesn't come close to matching the hype. 80 tackles per year in HS is weak as is 5 TFL per year. 5 TFL shows a guy who lacks instincts. With his physical skills he should have been flat out overwhelming the guys he was playing against.

His Junior year he played safety. Not going to rack up a ton of tackles, TFL's or sacks while playing safety there Chief...

Then why'd he have twice as many tackles as a Safety than he had as a LB, Chief...

No way his stats breakdown is correct: Season Statistics: 65 tackles, 6 for loss, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries. Meaning he had 95 tackles from the safety position as a jr? No way

Good explanation. Thanks.

Advertisement
Here we go again--- ppl talking down one of our most prized recruits. Messege board experts who probably never played a down of college ball or even HS.

On that note. Kid is a stud and will play day 1 here. Glad to have Owens!

The kid is a beast and has incredible measureables, one of my favorite recruits in the class.. But I think it will take him some time to adjust and there is nothing wrong with that. Would of been great to get him in early but it might take him a year it might not. Anybody can put together a highlight tape. Esp in the 2-5 min range . If possible (not always) you want to see full game or even a teammates highlights to see how the kid looks on the "other" plays...

I think this kid had a teammate who is younger who also plays defense who we are looking at, his film was posted and I looked for this kid, some plays he didn't look like a natural lb, again kid is talented as ****, just hope he gets good coaching and some time to adjust

We've had a few Jax kids, like that tweener LB, who was supposedly a blue chipper from there, Carl something. Never did much at the U. Same with Kevin Kirkeide in the '80's. UM is just not a popular destination for kids in that city for some reason. I guess too much UF, FSU and UGA.

Oh, yeah, didn't we have a TE/OL? Cory White?

Could be some of the Jacksonville kids are overrated, although maybe not this one.

Advertisement
We've had a few Jax kids, like that tweener LB, who was supposedly a blue chipper from there, Carl something. Never did much at the U. Same with Kevin Kirkeide in the '80's. UM is just not a popular destination for kids in that city for some reason. I guess too much UF, FSU and UGA.

Could be some of the Jacksonville kids are overrated, although maybe not this one.

CJ Holton? lols

CJ Holton was from the panhandle.

Matador is talking about Carl Walker....a national recruit. 6'3 190 safety that could lay the wood....just never panned out

CJ Holton? lols

Wow. I had completely forgotten that name.

Advertisement
CJ Holton? lols[/QUOTE]

I played with CJ Holton and even though he was my teammate i had no idea how he got a scholarship from the u, he had some good hits but it was garbage to me and our coach praised him. I wasnt suprised with the outcome of his career all and all. Darrion Owens though is way better then CJ in my eyes.

Too many sleepers in this class. We need more proven high school players

Had SEC offers. I meant I think he will pan out to be the next Spence like performer for us

Lots of **** defenses in the SEC this year. You guys are so SEC brainwashed that you assume anyone they look at is awesome. I like Owens as a project because of his great tools, but to think he's not a project is wishful thinking.

Agree 100 percent on the last line. On the SEC this year, yeah they were awful defensively this year no doubt, but that will happen sometimes. Lets not act like the SEC hasnt been a beast in the defensive part of football.

And I think the hype moreso on this kid came from this board. (because of measurables and his offer list) He is not in anyones top 150 list or anything. (not that it matters but you get my point here)

I def think he is a redshirt candidate and if he gets significant playing time next year something went VERY wrong with Figs or Grace. The ball was dropped or something on there development.

LSU and ALA at the moment is my measuring stick defensive wise. If you have a LEGIT offer from one of them you are okay in my book. Especially LSU. There SoFla bust rate is ungodly low. Ive posted about this numerous times. If they are after a kid in SoFla we better **** well be too. I liked Rashard Robinson but if you had told me he would have outshined Artie Burns this year I would have taken the bet. All the other teams are meh.

this ^

more excited about Young, has the production and measurables..

Give me football players!

Owens reminds me of a guy like Ramon Buchanon. Looks great in workouts and running around in gym shorts but doesn't make a lot of football plays for whatever reason. Then, Young is out there tackling everything in sight.

Young 110 tackles, 5sacks & On offense, he rushed for more than 600 yards and scored 10 touchdowns.

Owen 59 tackles, 2 sacks

Do you guys NOT REALIZE he was playing next to an ALL WORLD 2016 MLB in Shaq Quarterman and on the other side an UTSA Commit at the outside backer? Dont go off of stats alone boys. Your production will be limited when teams gameplan and run AWAY from him and he has 2 other FBS LB mates playing next to him. C'mon now, common sense boys,.

Advertisement
Back