Dan Enos by the Numbers

Advertisement
Manny does not seem to care about the numbers being emphasized in this thread, and that is fine by me quite frankly.

What Diaz has emphasized and mentioned is what we all should focus upon.

He likes Enos because he sees him as an aggressive coach, capable of using the whole field to put stress on various defenses. He also likes the way Enos makes the opposing defenses have to chose what to defend. A pick your poison type of scenario where the offense can take advantage once the Defense chooses what to stop.

An aggressive offense and defense should hopefully help us get back to being elite sooner rather than later.

He's coaching much better talent here than he was at Central Michigan or Arkansas. And even if those numbers don't look too good, they're still better than what we had under Richt.

Central Michgan and Arky both had players relative to their conference opponents so your better talent argument doesn't hold much weight imho and don't you want to see someone doing more with less?

Advertisement
Slow down there. You're being realistic and that's not appreciated by Canes fans. Everyone will be just dying to come play for the offensive mastermind Dan Enos remember? Look he may do great things who knows, and OF COURSE it's going to be better than what we just had, but the neverending blowing of Enos these past few months on 247 in particular is just completely unwarranted. Spending 1 year under the devil in Tuscaloosa as a QB coach not even an OC doesn't erase a very average career up to that point.

Great post and I feel exactly the same way.

We've seen too many **** coaches come through for anyone to give Enos this great pass just bc he was at Bama.

Well if we had a top 50 offense last year, we would have won the coastal, easily smh. I'm still on wait and see mode with "Where the f#ck is Dan" . Hopefully he can produce some good stats, but I think folks gave him a lot more credit than he deserve for Bama's offense last year. He wasn't calling plays for them.

Advertisement
Lance Roffers’ Analysis

Above is a link to a much more detailed and applicable assessment (and great subsequent discussion) than any presentation of raw counting stats that trend close to meaningless

Edit: Below is the Conclusion from the assessment. I highly recommend reading the entire analysis (and the subsequent discussion). Great work by @Lance Roffers and great questions and critiques posed by CIS posters that led to more quality discussion of the methodologies of the analysis and findings.

I read it when he came out with it and for most guys...it's gospel but for me it's **** and not at all a true analysis

It's not the overall numbers that are worrisome to me... but I sure am worried that he took offenses that were respectable (or good) and consistently made them worse

Advertisement
Central Michgan and Arky both had players relative to their conference opponents so your better talent argument doesn't hold much weight imho and don't you want to see someone doing more with less?
They had relative talent to bama, LSU, auburn, Texas a&m, uga , uf, ole miss? Not sure I agree with that

he recruited those QB's right or did someone else recruit those guys?
Not necessarily how recruiting works. As you know, when your at CMU, or the Arkys of the world you don’t get the pick of the best of the best prospects

Manny Diaz had a lot of average looking defensive numbers when Mark Richt hired him here. I know some people don't believe it but good coaches learn from mistakes and alter their playbooks. The Diaz defense that was among the nation's best in 2018 looked a lot different from the mess that got him fired at Texas.

Advertisement
He's coaching much better talent here than he was at Central Michigan or Arkansas. And even if those numbers don't look too good, they're still better than what we had under Richt.
I'm sorry, but that crap has been said so often
Central Michigan? Had bottom third talent middle of the road results. That’s fine.
Kinda like Al Golden and Coach No D at Temple.
Manny does not seem to care about the numbers being emphasized in this thread, and that is fine by me quite frankly.

What Diaz has emphasized and mentioned is what we all should focus upon.

He likes Enos because he sees him as an aggressive coach, capable of using the whole field to put stress on various defenses. He also likes the way Enos makes the opposing defenses have to chose what to defend. A pick your poison type of scenario where the offense can take advantage once the Defense chooses what to stop.

An aggressive offense and defense should hopefully help us get back to being elite sooner rather than later.
Problem is, why are the stats so bad if he's so aggressive? Don't aggressive coaches usually put up better stats? Those are really rather pedestrian numbers for an aggressive coach. If he is using the entire field, does he not know WHEN to use the different parts of it? I mean if he knows how to use the whole field, and the stats are crap, what's the problem? If he makes a defense stressed because they don't know who to cover, why are defenses stopping his offenses at a pretty regular clip? Something doesn't add up.

Now, I hope he kills it here and we see a top 20 O, but anyone who thinks fans will be happy with a top 60 O just because Richt sucked is kidding themselves.

I'm sorry, but that crap has been said so often

Kinda like Al Golden and Coach No D at Temple.

Problem is, why are the stats so bad if he's so aggressive? Don't aggressive coaches usually put up better stats? Those are really rather pedestrian numbers for an aggressive coach. If he is using the entire field, does he not know WHEN to use the different parts of it? I mean if he knows how to use the whole field, and the stats are crap, what's the problem? If he makes a defense stressed because they don't know who to cover, why are defenses stopping his offenses at a pretty regular clip? Something doesn't add up.

Now, I hope he kills it here and we see a top 20 O, but anyone who thinks fans will be happy with a top 60 O just because Richt sucked is kidding themselves.
Top 60 offense has Miami winning 11 games last year. I however Think we will be ranked higher than that though

Advertisement
Back