Dan Conners -- RIP....and Tony Cline, RIP

TheMatador

All-ACC
Did anybody else notice? I searched and didn't see any posts.

An all-time great from the early '60's, DT Dan Conners, died a few weeks ago. (April 28, 2019).

He was drafted in the second round by the Raiders in '64 I believe. He became a fixture as their Middle LB for eleven seasons, making multiple appearances on the All-AFL team before the merger.

His senior year, Coach Gustafson said that Conners was that rare lineman, like Lee Roy Jordan of Alabama, that possessed everything ..speed, strength, etc.

The Raiders during that era were one of the best teams in football, going to several SuperBowls and usually going into the playoffs..

I believe he was named an All-American and is in the UM HOF.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Conners

EDIT:

Looked up Tony Cline after mention in the thread. Did not know he passed away less than a year ago. He was a great player in his own right. Just overshadowed by the guy on the other side, Ted Hendricks.

https://www.thenewsdispatch.com/news/article_58899b0a-685e-55dc-b8c9-1fe14862afdc.html

Last edited:
Advertisement

An all-time great from the early '60's, DT Dan Conners, died a few weeks ago. (April 28, 2019).

He was drafted in the second round by the Raiders in '64 I believe. He became a fixture as their Middle LB for eleven seasons, making multiple appearances on the All-AFL team before the merger.

His senior year, Coach Gustafson said that Conners was that rare lineman, like Lee Roy Jordan of Alabama, that possessed everything ..speed, strength, etc.

The Raiders during that era were one of the best teams in football, going to several SuperBowls and usually going into the playoffs..

@TheMatador I saw it...just forgot to post it...

Im ashamed as a Raider fan and alum that I missed it 😟

Those early Raiders had lots of Canes on the team.

RIP Mr. Conners
Most great teams do. Miami has to get back to that some how, some way. My kid just does not understand how this used to work and I need him to see it for his own good. Made him read Cane Mutiny at 10 years old!

RIP Mr. Conners

Most great teams do. Miami has to get back to that some how, some way. My kid just does not understand how this used to work and I need him to see it for his own good. Made him read Cane Mutiny at 10 years old!

RIP Mr. Conners

That's incredible parenting right there.

Advertisement
Im ashamed as a Raider fan and alum that I missed it 😟

Those early Raiders had lots of Canes on the team.

RIP Mr. Conners
Other early 60s Canes the Raiders drafted were Jim Otto, Pete Banaszak, Bill Miller. Ted Hendricks came a little later via trade.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Other early 60s Canes the Raiders drafted were Jim Otto, Pete Banaszak, Bill Miller. Ted Hendricks came a little later via trade.
Actually, those late '60's Raiders teams liked players from Florida schools, like Fred Biletnikoff from FSU and Hewritt Dixon from FAMU. I was pretty well aware of the other Florida schools, I followed them all although I was only a fan of UM. My HS coaches were mostly former FSU guys.

Advertisement

EDIT:

Looked up Tony Cline after mention in the thread. Did not know he passed away less than a year ago. He was a great player in his own right. Just overshadowed by the guy on the other side, Ted Hendricks.

https://www.thenewsdispatch.com/news/article_58899b0a-685e-55dc-b8c9-1fe14862afdc.html

RIP both Canes. We had excellent dline in much of the 60’s.

I remember a Ted wanted to come home to the Fins after GB but our beloved owner, Joe Robbie, said he was all washed up. I think Al Davis gave up 2 first round picks for him. Hum? Wonder who was right.

Yep, All those players pretty much from the WPIAL (Western Pa), Youngstown, OH/Wheeling, WV areas. Coach Gus's home stomping grounds.

We got some QBs up there a little later too. But the greatest Dline of them all was local, even if not born here. The Mad Stork is GOAT, all respect to Ed, ST, and Ray.

Advertisement
Back