Dan Conners -- RIP....and Tony Cline, RIP

Mad Stork could've been an All American Tight End as well if they had chosen to play him there. Even with David Olivo at QB.

Advertisement
Yep, All those players pretty much from the WPIAL (Western Pa), Youngstown, OH/Wheeling, WV areas. Coach Gus's home stomping grounds.
Tony Cline was from Indiana. We recruited from Western Maryland (Cumberland), thru northern W.Va. (Wheeling, Weirton), Western PA, northern Ohio, thru northern Indiana. Blue collar industrial America, plus steel mills, mines, etc. Also western, upstate NY.

Mad Stork could've been an All American Tight End as well if they had chosen to play him there. Even with David Olivo at QB.
I think David Olivo was supposed to be highly touted coming in. I guess he did not end up that. I never saw him play that I remember. Who started that '68 Alabama game that was a rare national broadcast for us at the time?

You remember they planned to play Ted at TE in some situations as a way to get him exposure for the Heisman. I don't remember if they ever utilized him that way.

I think David Olivo was supposed to be highly touted coming in. I guess he did not end up that. I never saw him play that I remember. Who started that '68 Alabama game that was a rare national broadcast for us at the time?

You remember they planned to play Ted at TE in some situations as a way to get him exposure for the Heisman. I don't remember if they ever utilized him that way.
Ted was used at TE very briefly. I think it was a ploy to boost his Heisman chances.

Advertisement
He played TE on the UM Freshman team. Unstoppable. In those days, Freshman were all ineligible to play.

As for Olivo, let's just say he made no one forget his predecessor, Bill Miller (out of Lanier HS in Montgomery, AL) as a passer. Olivo could run a little.

Tony Cline was from Indiana. We recruited from Western Maryland (Cumberland), thru northern W.Va. (Wheeling, Weirton), Western PA, northern Ohio, thru northern Indiana. Blue collar industrial America, plus steel mills, mines, etc. Also western, upstate NY.
DB Rich Robinson was from Cumberland, MD (more like PA than Maryland in football culture). He was a real good one.

The areas you mention were the premier recruiting grounds east of the Mississippi River back then. Plus, as I said, Gus was a Pitt grad so he had all the contacts with HS coaches up there. UM squad had far more Pennsylvanians than Floridians in some of those good 1960s years. .

DB Rich Robinson was from Cumberland, MD (more like PA than Maryland in football culture). He was a real good one.

The areas you mention were the premier recruiting grounds east of the Mississippi River back then. Plus, as I said, Gus was a Pitt grad so he had all the contacts with HS coaches up there. UM squad had far more Pennsylvanians than Floridians in some of those good 1960s years. .
Jack Bahen, WR from early '60's was from Cumberland, as was Phil Geatz from mid-50's. There were others. Western Maryland was very good in football in 50's-60's. Chuck Foreman was from Frederick. We might have had somebody from Hagerstown. Can't remember now. U-MD built some powerful teams in '50's based on Cumberland and Western Maryland players.

I think longtime assistant Walt Kichefski had some Western Pennsylvania connections from having been a Steeler although Walt was from Wisconsin.

Advertisement
Back