NFL Damar Hamlin - Bills & Former Pitt Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m sitting here thinking about the entertainment factor of football players vs. their compensation vs. their risk factor.

These guys’ pay day compared to other athletes is off af in light of their risk factor by comparison. Seeing Futbol players making 5x the amount of football players w/o the same risks is crazy; & I get it, Futbol is a global phenomenon, but even seeing baseball, & basketball players making way more than the avg. football player, who are playing for the #1 sport in America is wild.

I’m sitting here thinking about the entertainment factor of football players vs. their compensation vs. their risk factor.

These guys pay day compared to other athletes r off af in light of their risk factor by comparison. Seeing Futbol players making 5x the amount of football players w/o the same risks is crazy; & I get it, Futbol is a global phenomenon, but even seeing baseball, & basketball players making way more than the avg. football player, who are playing for the #1 sport in America is wild.
The other sports have more than 21-25 games a year though, and that is how the revenue is generated. Slightly less revenue split as a percentage though, with MLB being the largest.

Supposedly, this is his friend and marketing rep. I pray what he posted is true, but I don’t know, it’s just hope on my part..

About ten years ago Jerry Lawler had a heart attack, live on Monday Night Raw. It was about 20 minutes after he had wrestled a match against Dolph Ziggler, a match that saw him get hit hard in the chest. While on commentary Lawler had the heart attack, leaving friend and colleague Michael Cole to carry on as medical staff administered CPR and tried to save Jerry’s life.

It was very touch and go for many minutes as they brought Lawler backstage. Raw unfortunately was not taken off air, and a visibly distraught Cole had to carry on and be prepared to announce the death of his friend. However they were able to stabilize him, and when the show finally went off the air two hours later Cole was able to announce that Lawler was in stable condition and that he was in fact doing better.

Similar timeline to the message above.

Advertisement
My first thought. There was no helmet to helmet, nothing violent about the collision, but when I seen bro collapse, I literally got up as my heart dropped. I knew it wasn’t just some cramp or anything like that.
First thing I thought was that looks like when hank Gathers collapsed. Looked right away like some type of cardiac event

Last edited:

These guys’ pay day compared to other athletes is off af in light of their risk factor by comparison. Seeing Futbol players making 5x the amount of football players w/o the same risks is crazy; & I get it, Futbol is a global phenomenon, but even seeing baseball, & basketball players making way more than the avg. football player, who are playing for the #1 sport in America is wild.
NFL players have terrible representation in NFLPA and get smoked every time at the bargaining table.. The NFL also has media in back pocket to make the players look greedy to the fans and the fans still fall for it to this day and call the players greedy or agree with the owners and basically pressure the players to shut up and play..

I wondered when this will eventually happen. I've seen it happening in soccer too often to count, but American Football seemed to be quite clean from this on the bigger stages.

From my experience of working with post code patients. An MRI brain will be performed in 24 - 48hrs to determine if he has suffered anoxic brain injury.

I would expect for a Neuro and cardio consult to be placed for him. I would anticipate an US Echo/TEE to be done to determine his EF and see how his heart is functioning post code.

Goal for now will be hemodynamic stability, Neuro monitoring, close electrolyte/lab monitoring, and watching his urine output. If the intensivist does put him on hypothermia protocol then he'll have labs drawn q4h and will maintain a body temp of 32C.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know this is all speculation and I'm just hoping above hope that Hamlin is going to be OK. I'm sitting here thinking how many times we've seen hits like this, hits harder than this to the chest. How many time I have been elbowed in the chest playing pick up ball. There has to be something underlying that caused this episode. This has to be just a freak accident or something, Watching it live I got sick to my stomach. I hope we all wake up to good news.

From my experience of working with post code patients. An MRI brain will be performed in 24 - 48hrs to determine if he has suffered anoxic brain injury.

I would expect for a Neuro and cardio consult to be placed for him. I would anticipate an US Echo/TEE to be done to determine his EF and see how his heart is functioning post code.

Goal for now will be hemodynamic stability, Neuro monitoring, close electrolyte/lab monitoring, and watching his urine output. If the intensivist do put him on hypothermia protocol then he'll have labs drawn q4h and will maintain a body temp of 32C.
Is the hypothermia protocol to reduce the threat of inflammation?

NFL players have terrible representation in NFLPA and get smoked every time at the bargaining table.. The NFL also has media in back pocket to make the players look greedy to the fans and the fans still fall for it to this day and call the players greedy or agree with the owners and basically pressure the players to shut up and play..
There’s no logical reason why NFL rosters should be so small in comparison to colleges, when the NFL players participate in 5 more regular season games, 2 preseason games, and up to 4 playoff games (vs CFB’s 2).

Advertisement
Before I turn my desktop off tonight I'd like to just say this.

The phrase "prayer" is used over and over again when tragedies like this take place as a form of deep well wishing. For anybody who has little or no spiritual beliefs.... consider that the millions of people that have been touched and affected by what we saw take place tonight, and there's a massive amount of heart felt energy and profound concern for this young mans life.

This is "prayer"... this is what people of good will do regardless of religion, race or politics.
May God bless Damar... and all of us.

I know this is all speculation and I'm just hoping above hope that Hamlin is going to be OK. I'm sitting here thinking how many times we've seen hits like this, hits harder than this to the chest. How many time I have been elbowed in the chest playing pick up ball. There has to be something underlying that caused this episode. This has to be just a freak accident or something, Watching it live I got sick to my stomach. I hope we all wake up to good news.
Got hit in the chest with a baseball bat as a kid when one of my teammates was swinging too close to the benches. Don't remember much after getting hit and waking up in the ambulance. Apparently, walked around for a few seconds before collapsing. Got extremely lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back