Dabo gon Dabo

Advertisement
Times are changing and now NIL favors the big city teams with deep pockets.
Does it though? I think it favors the teams with rabid and/or deep fanbases regardless of where the school is located. We have seen no evidence so far that big city schools will be the winners of NIL. So far we have seen aTm buy the best class of all time, Tenn (likely) buy a recruit for $8M and Miami was the highest rated big city school at #15 last year. This year (admittedly it is early), the first big city school is USCw at #15 with Notre Dame currently sitting at number one.

There have been no big NIL deals made that were b/c the school was in a city that I am aware of and with collectives now being set up (basically the college football equivalent of a Political Action Committee), schools with lots of alumni can benefit as even if those alumni put in relatively small amounts, there can be a enough of them for it to add up real quick.

Advertisement
1. F him. He's a scumbag POS. He's just mad because Clemson is falling off. Good for him and that program.

2. We have been saying this for years. The lack of parity in CFB has already made the product inferior to what it was in years past.

Does it though? I think it favors the teams with rabid and/or deep fanbases regardless of where the school is located. We have seen no evidence so far that big city schools will be the winners of NIL. So far we have seen aTm buy the best class of all time, Tenn (likely) buy a recruit for $8M and Miami was the highest rated big city school at #15 last year. This year (admittedly it is early), the first big city school is USCw at #15 with Notre Dame currently sitting at number one.

There have been no big NIL deals made that were b/c the school was in a city that I am aware of and with collectives now being set up (basically the college football equivalent of a Political Action Committee), schools with lots of alumni can benefit as even if those alumni put in relatively small amounts, there can be a enough of them for it to add up real quick.
You may be right on this though like you said its a bit early to understand the full impacts yet. It all comes down to a program's ability to funnel $ to its players and to package that in a way so that it can be sold to recruits. Where I think big cities have gained an edge is that now it is legal for a business/individual to fund these ventures.

In the past the rabid fanbase boosters had an effective way to pump money into recruits' pockets in the shadows. Sure it was at risk but places like Clemson and Tuscaloosa will never allow their journalists to step out of line. At a Miami or a USC any reporter would absolutely break that story (even our own beat writers). This means that local businesses now have a legal mechanism to funnel $ into programs without fear of NCAA discipline actions.

IF businesses in big cities start to pump money into their local schools then teams at small towns have lost an edge that they had. Sure their boosters will continue to pump loads of $ but now they have to compete in the recruiting trail with schools who have access to legal $ that they were afraid to use in the past due to the ncaa hammer. I think guys like Dabo and Saban know that and are fighting the changes.

Advertisement
Clemson tears....

Can we merge threads, maudes?

@No_Fly_Zone
angry black snake moan GIF

He's not wrong, but he's still a total fraud that is just rattled other programs are beating the pants off him in the NIL game. If Clemson was still rolling like they were a few years ago, he wouldn't say ****.

"I am against anything that devalues education," Swinney said. "That's what I'm against. I am for anything that incentivizes education."

Riiiiiiiight, Dabo—Clemson know for it's next-level academics and football players excelling in the classroom. Stop it.

Can't stand this guy. One of the biggest phonies in the sport.

Let's see how little cares about this when Saban retires, he takes over at his alma mater and he's reeling in top talent with the Crimson Tide.

He's not wrong, but he's still a total fraud that is just rattled other programs are beating the pants off him in the NIL game. If Clemson was still rolling like they were a few years ago, he wouldn't say ****.

"I am against anything that devalues education," Swinney said. "That's what I'm against. I am for anything that incentivizes education."

Riiiiiiiight, Dabo—Clemson know for it's next-level academics and football players excelling in the classroom. Stop it.

Let's see how little cares about this when Saban retires, he takes over at his alma mater and he's reeling in top talent with the Crimson Tide.
This is just him opening the door to leaving Clemson

Advertisement
Seems like a long time ago that everyone thought he would replace Saban
He will in 2025. Saben in close circles has supposedly marked 2024 as his last. Don’t know if that’s true, but I’d be shocked if Dabo isn’t his replacement

He will in 2025. Saben in close circles has supposedly marked 2024 as his last. Don’t know if that’s true, but I’d be shocked if Dabo isn’t his replacement

If accurate, he better start coaching his butt off again pre last season. Those fools in Tuscaloosa won't suffer him for very long if he doesn't do well at Clemson till then.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You may be right on this though like you said its a bit early to understand the full impacts yet. It all comes down to a program's ability to funnel $ to its players and to package that in a way so that it can be sold to recruits. Where I think big cities have gained an edge is that now it is legal for a business/individual to fund these ventures.

In the past the rabid fanbase boosters had an effective way to pump money into recruits' pockets in the shadows. Sure it was at risk but places like Clemson and Tuscaloosa will never allow their journalists to step out of line. At a Miami or a USC any reporter would absolutely break that story (even our own beat writers). This means that local businesses now have a legal mechanism to funnel $ into programs without fear of NCAA discipline actions.

IF businesses in big cities start to pump money into their local schools then teams at small towns have lost an edge that they had. Sure their boosters will continue to pump loads of $ but now they have to compete in the recruiting trail with schools who have access to legal $ that they were afraid to use in the past due to the ncaa hammer. I think guys like Dabo and Saban know that and are fighting the changes.
I see where you are coming from and maybe it could happen, but what businesses are big enough to throw the type of money around that these recruits are supposedly getting that aren't so big that they are national? The 'big' businesses in cities that are not located in multiple cities are typically car dealerships and health systems (I am sure there are some other types that I am not thinking of), but those types of businesses are not going to be throwing around 10s of millions of dollars a year to football players - especially ones that are still in high school and haven't proven anything at the college level yet.

The national companies that are located in big cities are not going to care about the local players unless 1) those players happen to be national stars or 2) the owner happens to be a fan of the school. In the case of the first, it would just be a coincidence that they were in the same area and the companies are unlikely to be giving money to high school kids so it will have a lot less impact on recruiting. In the case of the 2nd, it would have to be a company like Nike, UA, Tesla, Amazon, etc where the CEO has enough control to give that type of money to recruits and even then it would probably be their own as the board is unlikely to allow it since it is highly unlikely giving NIL money to recruits will be a good investment for the company (Nike and UA would likely be exceptions as since locking up athletes for shoe deals is another story).

I think the only companies that end up with any sway for recruits are the shoe companies and they are probably just going to push kids to the schools they have deals with like they have already been doing (especially for basketball). Any other 'big company' donors are more likely to be rich CEOs who will give the money to the school whether it is in a big city or not b/c they are fans and their 'return on investment' is seeing the school do well.

I hope that I am wrong and schools like Miami benefit from it more, but I think we just need to keep our fingers crossed that Ruiz can actually get that money he is supposedly worth and up the amount that he is giving kids (at least from what we have heard publicly).

Last edited:

too bad this guy won't get a stop in the NFL to expose him completely like Urban Liar and Saban did.

While different game when everyone has great talent and you can't play dictator to your players.

Well if the players getting paid makes their education a sham, what does His $9.3M annual salary say about His profession? It's always a one way street with quislings like Him.

And last I checked these players have been playing the game since they could learn how to walk, so they ARE professionals.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back