D$ shares exclusive spring practice insights

Advertisement
New England road graded the NFL using Gronk and Hernandez because it was such a bind for NFL teams, they could split one or both wide, run a play then lineup with them tight and smash you in the face without a single substitution. Not sure why more coaches dont use it to be honest.
Lowkey the future of the nfl to combat the lighter box two high stuff. Only problem is can u find TEs that can be elite blockers like gronk and kittle? Uga found two in bowers and washington, imagine a team like philly or the chiefs get washington paired with an already elite receiving te like kelce or goedert and strong olines with mobile qbs? Thats a ***** problem lol and they are cheaper to keep around with how elite wr contracts are now

The reason more teams don’t use two tight ends the way New England did with Gronk and Hernandez is because most teams don’t have two star right ends. Gronk may be the best ever and Hernandez was a pro bowl level player. It doesn’t work the same if you don’t have the tight ends (or Tom Brady) to run that style. It’s more than just playing two tight ends together. It’s combining two superstar tight ends. Very few teams have that sort of luxury

The reason more teams don’t use two tight ends the way New England did with Gronk and Hernandez is because most teams don’t have two star right ends. Gronk may be the best ever and Hernandez was a pro bowl level player. It doesn’t work the same if you don’t have the tight ends (or Tom Brady) to run that style. It’s more than just playing two tight ends together. It’s combining two superstar tight ends. Very few teams have that sort of luxury
The problem is that the jump at tight end is really large compared to WR or RB. Your athletic ability and possibly advantage gets erased in both the passing game and the blocking game. You need to be a technican to excel at this position.

Very players get that done. Thats why teams love to draft tight ends from Iowa or Notre Dame. Chances are, they have the blocking down already technique-wise.

Advertisement
What position group will be better in 2023? My opinion.

QB-Better-Offense more suited for TVD, and TVD motivated to have a great season.
RB-Better-We had Lucious Stanley taking reps in ACC play, enough said here.
TE-Not better-Lose alot from Mallory in passing game, and while I think the group can be better overall with more talent and depth, we have Arroyo coming off an injury and Mallory to NFL.
WR-Better-Offense better tailored for WR's, and return Young and Restrepo.
OL-Better-Most improved unit on the team

DE-Better-I separated the DL because I do think DE's have high potential this season. Mesidor and Harvey come back after totaling 18 TFL and 12.5 sacks last season between them. Add in Nyjalik Kelly who had 4.5 TFL and 4 sacks as a true freshman, and Rueben Bain who is can also contribute, and looks good so far for a freshman.
DT-Worse from run defense, better for pass rush. We added 2 DT's in Deen and Gore that were among nations leaders for pressure from the DT position, and then you have Leonard Taylor returning.
LB-Better-Mauigoa bolsters this group, and then you have Wesley with some experience coming back.
CB-Worse-Lose 2 starters including a top 3-4 round type pick.
S-Better-Kam is back, and James getting healthy after surgery.

I
Lowkey the future of the nfl to combat the lighter box two high stuff. Only problem is can u find TEs that can be elite blockers like gronk and kittle? Uga found two in bowers and washington, imagine a team like philly or the chiefs get washington paired with an already elite receiving te like kelce or goedert and strong olines with mobile qbs? Thats a ***** problem lol and they are cheaper to keep around with how elite wr contracts are now
They get caught in a catch 22 because a team who is efficient at it can throw and run at will with no substitution. I think we have the personnel to do it. But not the proven production. U can even line up in a I formation, something alot of these college kids never seen. 1 TE at FB and one at conventional TE.

Thanks for the update! Just seems much of the same with lots of what ifs and hopes. Appears we need at least the following portal transfers who were proven starters at the P5 level to make this team an 8-9 game winner next season. If not, I'm afraid we will resemble more like a 6-7 win team.

OL - One for certain maybe two more.
WR - Two
DT - One and needs to be a 300lb type
LB - One
DB - One
Good post and i agree to most of the portal transfers with a little change

Ol-1 but only if he is a proven OT
WR-1 but only a true speed player
DT-1 thats 300lb + we need a run stuffer
LB-0 Think were solid there with who be brought in and the new scheme being played
DB-0 were good there with the Browns brothers and faster LBs dropping into coverage
RB- 1 too many injury questions with Chaney and Citizen
QB-1 we need a solid backup with experience, both backups need a year to be ready and the health of TVD is a huge concern

Both of those guys could block in-line and had WR skills outside. They don’t grow on trees.

Advertisement
No thanks. I dont want to hear anything about Keontra Smith. Some of you have been hyping him up for the last 2 yrs. That he was a prototype at WLB. And we needed him last year and he flopped. Didnt answer the bell. So No thanks if im good on him. Give one of the young guys a fair shot first before we default to him. We know what he can do already.

Kinsler should be in the two deep immediately based on what we have heard regarding how bad the 2nd team OL unit is. Will take Cohens spot next year once he goes to the NFL. So might as well get him ready.

Mario still has alot of work to do in that portal to even get this team to the 9 win mark.

What position group will be better in 2023? My opinion.

QB-Better-Offense more suited for TVD, and TVD motivated to have a great season.
RB-Better-We had Lucious Stanley taking reps in ACC play, enough said here.
TE-Not better-Lose alot from Mallory in passing game, and while I think the group can be better overall with more talent and depth, we have Arroyo coming off an injury and Mallory to NFL.
WR-Better-Offense better tailored for WR's, and return Young and Restrepo.
OL-Better-Most improved unit on the team

DE-Better-I separated the DL because I do think DE's have high potential this season. Mesidor and Harvey come back after totaling 18 TFL and 12.5 sacks last season between them. Add in Nyjalik Kelly who had 4.5 TFL and 4 sacks as a true freshman, and Rueben Bain who is can also contribute, and looks good so far for a freshman.
DT-Worse from run defense, better for pass rush. We added 2 DT's in Deen and Gore that were among nations leaders for pressure from the DT position, and then you have Leonard Taylor returning.
LB-Better-Mauigoa bolsters this group, and then you have Wesley with some experience coming back.
CB-Worse-Lose 2 starters including a top 3-4 round type pick.
S-Better-Kam is back, and James getting healthy after surgery.
What does it all mean? Summation please

No thanks. I dont want to hear anything about Keontra Smith. Some of you have been hyping him up for the last 2 yrs. That he was a prototype at WLB. And we needed him last year and he flopped. Didnt answer the bell. So No thanks if im good on him. Give one of the young guys a fair shot first before we default to him. We know what he can do already.

Kinsler should be in the two deep immediately based on what we have heard regarding how bad the 2nd team OL unit is. Will take Cohens spot next year once he goes to the NFL. So might as well get him ready.

Mario still has alot of work to do in that portal to even get this team to the 9 win mark.
I agree with this post! But, we also need player development.

Advertisement
What does it all mean? Summation please

It means that from a player personnel perspective, we'll be better than the 5-7 team we had last year, particularly on offense (barring injuries). But that anyone thinking we'll be GOOD is not looking at the roster.

The only way we win more than 7/8 games this season is by major portal additions, significantly better play-calling by the coordinators, and luck. All three of those are possible, so it's not crazy to think we can get there. But we're not "there" as of today..

I agree with this post! But, we also need player development.

No doubt. But if a kid like Keontra isn't willing to put in the work for Charlie Strong, you certainly can't expect him to do so now. Hopefully he pops, but do not count on him being a key contributor (in a good way).

No doubt. But if a kid like Keontra isn't willing to put in the work for Charlie Strong, you certainly can't expect him to do so now. Hopefully he pops, but do not count on him being a key contributor (in a good way).
Hey I'm all about the youngsters! The vets have had 3 or 4 yrs to get it done. Even though it's been 3 different defenses the last 3 years let's hope they get it done this year.

Advertisement
Most of CIS is letting Mario off the hook too easily. Greatest trick the devil ever pulled off was convincing the world he had a weak rooster. If these coaches are above competent and we avoid a lot of injurued…

During the season he def wasn’t let off the hook.

We’ve never had a coach everyone’s hated here in the off-season.

My lazy writing has lead to misunderstanding. My post was not directed at this past season. I was talking about this upcoming season. I expect some wins. That’s all.

You don’t put a guy who can score at any given time on defense. That would be incredibly disappointing.
I am all for offensive players playing defense aka sean taylor.

I would love every db we have to be a wr or rb in high school. They are the most athletic and playmakers. however, robby is a WR not a db

Maybe.

But we’ve got a TE that is apparently purely a blocking TE.

If you’re running 12 with him, you’ve bunched them box, and put a non-receiving threat on the field.

Some of you‘ll will never understand the burden of being the smartest guy in the room.

Just from one sentence in DMoney’s spring practice write up, I laid out the entire offensive season for you.

And those of you in this thread clowning other posters as “gurus” and talking about how there’s nothing to be concerned about with our TE formations because of how talented we are? Shame on you! Have a little humility, especially in the shadow of such intellectual giants.

Advertisement
Back