D$ shares exclusive spring practice insights

View as article
Advertisement
Maybe.

But we’ve got a TE that is apparently purely a blocking TE.

If you’re running 12 with him, you’ve bunched them box, and put a non-receiving threat on the field.
Given a healthy TE room, that guy is at best the third string tight end. He really shouldn’t see the field outside of short yardage situations

Are you saying here that his one year worth a **** and the year he ran most are one in the same? Last year Houston's F+ improved 35 rankings running the ball 5.6 attempts less per game while maintaining nearly identical yards per game and almost a full yard higher per rush.

My mistake if I'm reading your post wrong.
His best season statistically was the season he was most pass heavy. They were even more pass heavy than the numbers suggest last year because they quarterback scrambled a lot. QB scrambles are technically pass plays that get counted as runs in the stat column

His best season statistically was the season he was most pass heavy. They were even more pass heavy than the numbers suggest last year because they quarterback scrambled a lot. QB scrambles are technically pass plays that get counted as runs in the stat column

I didn't mention the QB running, just macro level overall attempts. But I was getting to the same point, his heavier passing season was his best at Houston. The post quoted seems to be stating his best year he was run heavy.

Advertisement
As it pertains to Dawson, I have a feeling he isnt going to be around that long. Thats not to say his stint here wont be succesfull. I really believe he is here to give Mario a course in modern CFB passing attacks. Like most people, Mario wasnt just going to jump in head first into styles he hasnt run. This is him dipping his toe into the water with a guy he has known for a while that can also revert to a style he is more acquainted with when necessary.

They brought in 2 Portal CB’s but are still in need of a another starter CB, so what does that tell you?

That they inherited doo doo and have been here 15 months and it's going to take a little longer to get the roster where we want it?

“Two-tight end sets, otherwise known as 12 personnel, have become increasingly popular over the last few years. The grouping features one running back, two tight ends and two wide receivers.

Georgia used 12 personnel at times last season. but will use it much more often this year and with more variety. The Bulldogs have two uber-talented tight ends in Darnell Washington and Brock Bowers and coaches want them on the field at the same time.”

12 doesn’t mean we’re running 80% of plays. But what does Monken know.
Isnt Washington in the draft. Thought I saw he might be a second round pic for the cowboys.

Advertisement
So no one watches post practice interviews anymore?? Kelly himself said he’s up to 250, not no 225 like I just read lmao

And Dawson himself said the only reason he didn’t run much 12 at Houston is because he didn’t have the TE’s to do it. He says he caters his offenses to his personnel and he thinks we have a loaded TE room so he wants to use them

How much longer?

We gonna be in year 4 or 5 making the same excuses?
Thats the thing, back in the day, a coach could ride an excuse for 3+ years but with the Portal jumpin, those excuses are gone. We had deficiencies at CB and everyone knew, we only got Porter through the portal the first year and he was a dud. This year the young kids have had a year to develop and we added two more Portal additions. The time to show noticeable improvement is NOW.

Advertisement
Yes, in 4-5 years we are still going to have a mid group of cornerbacks, the exact same talent level we have now. Nothing will change. That what you're looking for? :)

Dude, let them work. Rome wasn't built in a day.
No, I’m just looking for a timeline for when we should expect something more than mediocrity.

But, if we’re just gonna keep blaming the previous staff I’m good with that too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back