D$, Drew, Lu, Pete

this defense wont be that good.
3 of the better players on that defense just left. Then guys that were logging 1st team snaps all camp are gone with limited time.
You do realize if another lb or 2 drop we will have walk on guys out there....

AQM is probably our best dl. Juwan Young was a starting caliber linebacker...YALL trippin....

I dont know what to say....alot of peeps are good until after that first snap and yous ee sh*t get real....

3 -4 freshman backers logging time??...and yall "GOOD"?. I didnt even get into depth guys like Gayot, james King that left either.

This defense wasnt that good last year...

Nah man, by its actions, the university clearly thought those three players were expendable. Miami does NOT get to use this situation as an excuse if the defense falters this season...10 wins and a defense that passed the eye test of being a Miami defense is the expectation.

Advertisement
We are going to see lots of three Ss sets. I expect Jenkins to emerge as an all over the field guy.

3 of the better players on that defense just left. Then guys that were logging 1st team snaps all camp are gone with limited time.

AQM is probably our best dl. Juwan Young was a starting caliber linebacker...YALL trippin....

I dont know what to say....alot of peeps are good until after that first snap and yous ee sh*t get real....

3 -4 freshman backers logging time??...and yall "GOOD"?. I didnt even get into depth guys like Gayot, james King that left either.

Nah man, by its actions, the university clearly thought those three players were expendable. Miami does NOT get to use this situation as an excuse if the defense falters this season...10 wins and a defense that passed the eye test of being a Miami defense is the expectation.

OK. Water under the bridge, and we sure enough took another hit today.

Some of us love our Canes but don't have our fingers on the pulse of the team like you guys do.

1. Knowing our other players and their skill levels, how much of a hit does this do to our season overall, IN YOUR OPINION?

2. Knowing our coaches and how they've been pushing everyone, and knowing that for the first time in years we'll be able to make adjustments during a game, how fast do you think these young men can step in to stop the bleeding?

3. Knowing who we have, who we have committed, and those recruits still out there on the fence - how do you see this affecting our chances with a few top recruits that may still flip or commit to UM?

Same question for [MENTION=4597]Paranos[/MENTION]

:monkey-serious:

In response to what I interpreted as more unnecessary downplaying ('a JJ Watt doesn't affect a game line in the NFL' comment) of these losses, I wrote this in another thread:

I heard this line, almost exactly, earlier today and I still don't get the comparison. One situation is an NFL player with an NFL replacement in a singular game. The other situation is "an undersized LB," with wildly inexperienced replacements, who could have done what no other replacement on the team will be able to do nearly as well. It will likely literally change defensive playcalls and personnel groupings beyond just "filling in the next man up at LB."

Like most sports, college football games come down to scenarios against equal or slightly superior talent. In college football, these are seemingly magnified. The 3rd and 2 where Dalvin Cook or ND's QB cutback after being initially disrupted in the backfield. And, a flexible, experienced and sure tackler like Grace is no longer our matchup. I don't know the exact number of "games" this affects - and don't find that number to be reasonably quantifiable - but I can guarantee you there will be dozens of critical scenarios where the outcome (a first down, a missed tackle, a sack, a forced fumble) is less likely to be in our favor without Grace. Anyone who wants to argue that, I'd like to hear a non-homer opinion so I can better understand.

I believe AQM, on the other hand, is a lesser loss. Together, though, I can see it affecting the W/L column - even if "minimally." How many games - 1 or 2 - we have no idea. I hope it's 0. Let's see which True Frosh LB steps up next to Shaq. What's done is f'in done and now we move on. Grace was my favorite player on the team. He's gone. We can still win football games. But, to hear opinions downplaying his loss seems off to me.

We may do a podcast because we have some divergent views on the sum effect of this. We've talked about how we think this will affect what we do. Bottom line: what's done is done. We still have enough to win the coastal. I just happened to be a little more optimistic than that bar.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My line of thinking Miami will be in a lot more 4-2-5 defense with Jamal Carter playing closer to the line of scrimmage. Everyone seems to forget but Trent Harris had the second most sacks on the team last year with 3.5 or 4 and he can rush the passer pretty good. Has also had a solid camp. Gerald Willis and or Demetrius Jackson can slide over there as well. We will be fine.

FSU, UNC, and Notre Dame just got a lot harder. But, we are still more talented than the other teams on our schedule.

In response to what I interpreted as more unnecessary downplaying ('a JJ Watt doesn't affect a game line in the NFL' comment) of these losses, I wrote this in another thread:

I heard this line, almost exactly, earlier today and I still don't get the comparison. One situation is an NFL player with an NFL replacement in a singular game. The other situation is "an undersized LB," with wildly inexperienced replacements, who could have done what no other replacement on the team will be able to do nearly as well. It will likely literally change defensive playcalls and personnel groupings beyond just "filling in the next man up at LB."

Like most sports, college football games come down to scenarios against equal or slightly superior talent. In college football, these are seemingly magnified. The 3rd and 2 where Dalvin Cook or ND's QB cutback after being initially disrupted in the backfield. And, a flexible, experienced and sure tackler like Grace is no longer our matchup. I don't know the exact number of "games" this affects - and don't find that number to be reasonably quantifiable - but I can guarantee you there will be dozens of critical scenarios where the outcome (a first down, a missed tackle, a sack, a forced fumble) is less likely to be in our favor without Grace. Anyone who wants to argue that, I'd like to hear a non-homer opinion so I can better understand.

I believe AQM, on the other hand, is a lesser loss. Together, though, I can see it affecting the W/L column - even if "minimally." How many games - 1 or 2 - we have no idea. I hope it's 0. Let's see which True Frosh LB steps up next to Shaq. What's done is f'in done and now we move on. Grace was my favorite player on the team. He's gone. We can still win football games. But, to hear opinions downplaying his loss seems off to me.

We may do a podcast because we have some divergent views on the sum effect of this. We've talked about how we think this will affect what we do. Bottom line: what's done is done. We still have enough to win the coastal. I just happened to be a little more optimistic than that bar.

Good stuff, Lu.

Again I go back to the start of this season being an absurd blessing in disguise. They won't give anyone Grace's skill set or experience, but they'll be a slow and steady start to a career long growth curve for the new breeds.

Critical in game scenarios is the proper way to break these personnel losses down. People want the ambiguity of the season gone so badly they're reaching for information that is impossible to quantify. The two we lost today will cost us in plays made, which may or may not stack up to games lost. Likely will, of course, especially when guys start getting dinged and missing plays, quarters or games. Which will happen. Then the loss of Grace especially will be exponential. My thought is that we actually start off the year somewhat well, but fade down the stretch of the season, when the wear of playing a grown man's game takes its toll. But it could also be the opposite and a rough start comes together as the D gels.

More than anything else I'm heartbroken that Grace won't ever suit up again as a Cane. I don't think I've fully wrapped my mind around that yet.

Looking forward to the podcast.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know that no one can quantify, but a bit unfamiliar with some of those young men who will have to cowboy up, was curious how they are perceived by those who see things far more than someone like me in NorthWest Florida (hometown of Romeo Finley).

Next question.

When suddenly the burden of accomplishment is thrust on a young guy - lots of surprises sometimes.

Does anyone have a feel for any psychological dislocation of the team, or is the mindset more of a lets-strap-up-and-win-anyway?

My God you're stupid. It has nothing to do with these three being "expendable." It has everything to do with us still being on probation and not wanting to take the risk of more trouble with the NCAA. If Kayaa had been involved, he would have been thrown off just like AQM and Grace. What's at stake is bigger than any player, no matter how in-expendable he may be.

Why such a hard *** on the expectations thing? Losing your two best defensive players would certainly affect the expectations of any level-headed fan. You can expect 10 wins all you want, but it just got quite a bit tougher.

I agree with LU. Thank god we have a few scrimmages to start the season. We don't have a LB in the 2 deep who is 20 years old I don't think.

Advertisement
Staff prepared for this blow no doubt. AQM absence will hurt less because we have 3 DE's that can and have performed as well as AQM (Harris and Jackson), plus Joseph Jackson. Grace dismissal hurts bad because we lack depth and experience. Plus his speed and versatility. Places more of a premium on getting Owen Carney and or possibly Wright. LB'er recruiting doesn't change since Grace was a senior anyway.

Staff prepared for this blow no doubt. AQM absence will hurt less because we have 3 DE's that can and have performed as well as AQM (Harris and Jackson), plus Joseph Jackson. Grace dismissal hurts bad because we lack depth and experience. Plus his speed and versatility. Places more of a premium on getting Owen Carney and or possibly Wright. LB'er recruiting doesn't change since Grace was a senior anyway.
Plus Chad Thomas

Advertisement
Definitely hurts to lose them, in more ways then one. That being said we have no idea of the outcome of this, who knows maybe McCloud will get comfortable fast and ball out.

FSU, UNC, and Notre Dame just got a lot harder. But, we are still more talented than the other teams on our schedule.

The most talented team doesnt win every game ,it just gives you a better chance of winning. Even overwhelming talent doesnt guarantee a win.

So,yes,we will have more talent than GT,VT,Pitt,UVA,NCST and Dook but not by much and beating all 6 mentioned should not be considered a given.

Though I agree the loss of Grace will hurt due to depth at LB and the experience he brought to the position, Grace was not a playmaker.

The expectations for AQM were much higher with the potential for a 10+ sack breakout season being a realistic expectation. AQM had playmaking potential that is now gone and for that reason I think he will be missed more than Grace.

I think we can handle a DE. Grace hurts but if our young guns outside are not ready, then moving a safety up sounds good to me. Moving faster players forward on defense was standard practice in old days. In fact, wasn't Ray a safety in HS?

Advertisement
Back