D’Angelo Ponds JMU CB (via Chaminade) Commits to Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
You answered your own question. You said Guidry allegedly "convinced Sam to portal out." Sam was not already in the portal. Nothing wrong with secondary communication, but no coach should be directing.

I don't think I've explained my point well, so I'll try to clarify. The perception was Guidry tampered with Sam prior to him portaling so we were ruled out of that recruitment (whether or not we actually were back channeling).

Most players either know or have a very good idea of where they end up when they enter the portal. I suspect (but have no evidence) that Ponds had a couple of destinations in mind when he hit the portal due to back channeling (IU being one of them).

In both cases, there's no concrete evidence of tampering. However, in one case, we had to step away due to perceived tampering concerns of a coach moving on to the new school. My point being, some schools (UM), due to previous clashes with the NCAA, have to play the back channel game (or perceived game) different than others (IU in this case).

I do think we've gotten better at this over time though.

OP's reference is to Miami circling back on Ponds. Since he's in the portal, I don't think there's anything preventing Miami from direct communication until he enrolls in his new school.
Agreed. There's nothing stopping Mario from recruiting him until he enrolls at IU.

Advertisement
Lots of chatter on twitter that we didn’t take him because we got someone else in the bag? Is there anyone else out there on Ponds level of impact left?
Can you post a couple of the tweets/posts speculating this?

Again, I'd go back to the fact that just yesterday D$ mentioned Ponds by name. Doesn't sound like a backup plan in case option A falls through.

Indiana coach is the JMU coach that gave him a shot out of HS when nobody else recruited him.

Oh well.
People discount this far too often.

IF true, this screams volumes about Ponds' character...off the charts high.

Now, if he changes and ends up at Miami, people would say, isn't that hypocritical?

Not necessarily.

If your the Indiana corch and you truly want what is best for Ponds and a larger program offers him a bigger stage and $$$$, of course you would advise him, "go do great things..."

People discount this far too often.

IF true, this screams volumes about Ponds' character...off the charts high.

Now, if he changes and ends up at Miami, people would say, isn't that hypocritical?

Not necessarily.

If your the Indiana corch and you truly want what is best for Ponds and a larger program offers him a bigger stage and $$$$, of course you would advise him, "go do great things..."

While I tend to agree with you here, we could also come up with a scenario where it's not necessarily "character". Such as a coach who formerly worked at a HBCU school and then took his high-priced luggage to the Rocky Mountains.

Just sayin'...

But I won't get into it too deeply with Ponds. I truly admire the kid's talent, and one of the recent interviews asked him directly how he felt about his recruitment. Regardless of his answer, I could still see where he believes in the coach who first believed in him.

Advertisement
I don't think I've explained my point well, so I'll try to clarify. The perception was Guidry tampered with Sam prior to him portaling so we were ruled out of that recruitment (whether or not we actually were back channeling).

Most players either know or have a very good idea of where they end up when they enter the portal. I suspect (but have no evidence) that Ponds had a couple of destinations in mind when he hit the portal due to back channeling (IU being one of them).

In both cases, there's no concrete evidence of tampering. However, in one case, we had to step away due to perceived tampering concerns of a coach moving on to the new school. My point being, some schools (UM), due to previous clashes with the NCAA, have to play the back channel game (or perceived game) different than others (IU in this case).

I do think we've gotten better at this over time though.

Agreed. There's nothing stopping Mario from recruiting him until he enrolls at IU.
You explained it well the first time the other guy is just nuts

I’m surprised our NIL offer didn’t outweigh whatever relationship he has with his coach SMH…

I’m surprised our NIL offer didn’t outweigh whatever relationship he has with his coach SMH…
Indiana committed resources this year for NIL. Not crazy to think they were able to match whatever we offered.

Advertisement
I originally saw his missouri comment and was going to post that JMU is not anywhere near Missouri, but as someone that lives in DC (and has lived in Northern VA)... no one that is not from this area has any idea where Fairfax is 😂
Im not from the Virginia area, but being in the Military I’m familiar with it. Fairfax is northern VA

Can you post a couple of the tweets/posts speculating this?

Again, I'd go back to the fact that just yesterday D$ mentioned Ponds by name. Doesn't sound like a backup plan in case option A falls through.
IMG_2697.png

IMG_2698.png
IMG_2699.png

Was a couple more that I’m having trouble finding that suggested we got someone else instead of Ponds. Just wondering if there’s any validity to it.

Advertisement
Was a couple more that I’m having trouble finding that suggested we got someone else instead of Ponds. Just wondering if there’s any validity to it.

Thanks for the snapshots.

I really only see canegang305mia saying there's another DB we're after that is a "bigger fish" than Ponds (pun NOT intended @JamesQuall, just quoting canegang305mia).

Cat Fishing GIF

@CIApiFL (who I believe is a sponsor of the CanesInsight Daily Podcast) said wait till we hear why he picked IU, so it appears that the story behind the story is interesting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would like Earl Little just so the "slow midget" comments can go into overdrive.

this a suboptimal development. would have been perfect as slot corner, allowed powell to play his natural position and kept damari outside. king mack at safety would be a nice get, but slot corner a bigger need. me gut rumbles if we move damari to slot corner he'll follow through on his threat to transfer. he hasn't done much but he's got potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back