Currently only 11 games on next year’s schedule

I'm just saying, the ACC portion of the schedule will always be 4 home games. We might not be able to completely control "who we play" in any given year, with the new rotation, as easily as we once did.

If you recall, when we first started the Atlantic/Coastal scheduling, we had F$U (historic rival) and VaTech (Coastal foe) always coming to Miami in the same year. I pointed this out for several years, and we finally played VaTech in the same location in consecutive years in order to flip it so that we always had EITHER VaTech or FSU at home each year, but not both.

So I tend to ignore the ACC games for the purposes of this argument, since that is out of our hands. I also kinda/sorta minimize Notre Dame (for now), as that was set up by the ACC, not any of our ADs, but I do give us credit for having the ND games on the OOC schedule. And playing the Gaytors is always a great thing.

The point I was making about what Dan needs to do is that he needs to start lining up good games now. NOW. I am grateful for what we have on the future schedule, but it's the "usual suspects". Notre Dame. Florida. Even aTm is an OOC opponent that we have played more than just about any other P5 OOC team over the past 30 years or so (not counting UCF who has recently become a P5 school).

Let's find some new blood. Let's play some teams that we haven't played in the regular season over the last 30 or 40 years. We all only live so long, there are some games that would be nice to see IN OUR LIFETIMES. And, sadly, USC hasn't happened in my lifetime. Or at least since the time when I measured my lifespan in months, not years.
Yes, I never liked playing FSU and VT at home the same season. As you wrote, it meant the following season the home schedule was diluted. Not sure what the new divison-less scheduling will be like. UNC is beginning to become a rival, more so than VT, I think.

We do have future home-and-home series with Auburn, South Carolina, and BYU on the books. We haven’t played those teams since the JJ-Erickson eras.

We’ve only played TAMU three times in the modern era, including this season. Miami won both earlier games in 2007 and 2008.

I’d schedule home-and-home with Texas, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, or any of the top half of the $EC. And not a one-off neutral site game like Alabama last season or LSU when Richt was HC. We need home games.

Advertisement
Yes, I never liked playing FSU and VT at home the same season. As you wrote, it meant the following season the home schedule was diluted. Not sure what the new divison-less scheduling will be like. UNC is beginning to become a rival, more so than VT, I think.

We do have future home-and-home series with Auburn, South Carolina, and BYU on the books. We haven’t played those teams since the JJ-Erickson eras.

We’ve only played TAMU three times in the modern era, including this season. Miami won both earlier games in 2007 and 2008.

I’d schedule home-and-home with Texas, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, or any of the top half of the $EC. And not a one-off neutral site game like Alabama last season or LSU when Richt was HC. We need home games.
When will our fans realize that real-life isn't a video game? A lot of major schools aren't interested in home and home games, especially the big schools in the SEC. Why? Because they can easily turn an OOC neutral site game into a glorified home game, especially if the game is played in the South(IE Alabama/LSU vs Miami) . You are seeing fewer and fewer of those games, especially marquee OOC games where there is a return trip. Frankly, you see fewer and fewer decent OOC games early in the season, because the upside for a lot of schools isn't there. The Florida method of scheduling (Depend on conference strength and play your major rivalry game at the end of the season) works, especially if you are in the SEC or B1G

Our schedules have been solid, they usually have one major P5 program, a couple of midmajors and the usual in state rent a victim. That's a workable schedule. We can complain about WHO that P5 program is, but let's be honest: Those schools have to be willing to play us too. SC rarely ventures east. Texas hasn't played a P5 Florida school OOC in decades.

I thought we played aTm back in the 90s, but I guess I'm wrong. So we've done 2 pairs of H&H (2000s and 2020s), so 4 games against any P5 school is on the "higher end" of our OOC scheduling frequency.

I agree with all of the teams you mention, but I'm also not ruling out some of the lesser teams either. Let's play Oregon State. Let's play Minnesota. Let's play West Virginia (that insult was intentional).

When will our fans realize that real-life isn't a video game? A lot of major schools aren't interested in home and home games, especially the big schools in the SEC. Why? Because they can easily turn an OOC neutral site game into a glorified home game, especially if the game is played in the South(IE Alabama/LSU vs Miami) . You are seeing fewer and fewer of those games, especially marquee OOC games where there is a return trip. Frankly, you see fewer and fewer decent OOC games early in the season, because the upside for a lot of schools isn't there. The Florida method of scheduling (Depend on conference strength and play your major rivalry game at the end of the season) works, especially if you are in the SEC or B1G

Our schedules have been solid, they usually have one major P5 program, a couple of midmajors and the usual in state rent a victim. That's a workable schedule. We can complain about WHO that P5 program is, but let's be honest: Those schools have to be willing to play us too. SC rarely ventures east. Texas hasn't played a P5 Florida school OOC in decades.

Oh, fvck off. "A lot of major schools aren't interested in home and home games" is the pathetic bleating of a PVSSY.

You are NOT seeing "fewer and fewer of those games". You are a liar. Yes, there are some Week 0 games. But everyone plays home & homes, it's just pathetic for you to lie and say that they aren't, or that the number of these games is on the decline.

As for the "upside" of playing these games, that is EXACTLY the point about expanding the playoff field, so that a "one-game slip-up in an OOC game" doesn't become an automatic disqualifier.

Seriously, and I don't mean this as a personal insult, it's just a reflection of your lack of courage and your ongoing rationalization of pussilanimous scheduling...but you are a gaping pvssy...

I thought we played aTm back in the 90s, but I guess I'm wrong. So we've done 2 pairs of H&H (2000s and 2020s), so 4 games against any P5 school is on the "higher end" of our OOC scheduling frequency.

I agree with all of the teams you mention, but I'm also not ruling out some of the lesser teams either. Let's play Oregon State. Let's play Minnesota. Let's play West Virginia (that insult was intentional).
We played Baylor a few times in the Butch years. 2-0. That might be the team you’re thinking of.

I’d add Stanford, Cal, TCU, Oklahoma State, and even Oklahoma despite our history with the Sooners. Iowa and Minnesota.

Not interested in Nebraska or West Virginia, been there done that, a lot.

I may be wrong but OOC scheduling used to take regional recruiting exposure into account. Maybe it doesn’t matter anymore. But there’s no reason to play at Oregon State or at Washington State. Mario knows the PNW now, and if we’re to play at a PNW program, schedule Oregon (good team) and Washington (sometimes good team).

One bad team I’d play is Rutgers, for exposure in New Jersey. We had them scheduled but dropped them.

Advertisement
We played Baylor a few times in the Butch years. 2-0. That might be the team you’re thinking of.

I’d add Stanford, Cal, TCU, Oklahoma State, and even Oklahoma despite our history with the Sooners. Iowa and Minnesota.

Not interested in Nebraska or West Virginia, been there done that, a lot.

I may be wrong but OOC scheduling used to take regional recruiting exposure into account. Maybe it doesn’t matter anymore. But there’s no reason to play at Oregon State or at Washington State. Mario knows the PNW now, and if we’re to play at a PNW program, schedule Oregon (good team) and Washington (sometimes good team).

One bad team I’d play is Rutgers, for exposure in New Jersey. We had them scheduled but dropped them.

I tossed in Oregon State to name a mid-level Pac 12 school. But I would simply point out that when playing western schools, the impact is not just regional. With so few P5 schools in the west, you'd pretty much guarantee wide viewership of a Miami-Pac 12 matchup across a wide chunk of the MST/PST area, particularly if it was a night (away) game.

Last edited:
I tossed in Oregon State to name a mid-level Pac 12 school. But I would simply point out that when playing western schools, the impact is not simply regional. With so few P5 schools in the west, you'd pretty much guarantee wide viewership of a Miami-Pac 12 matchup across a wide chunk of the MST/PST area, particularly if it was a night (away) game.
Good point

Temple is a good draw for alumni in the Northeast. They play at Lincoln Financial and the last time was at least 10 years ago after they had been booted from the Big East. Were probably 30,000 people there. 25,000 were Miami fans.
Short hop across the Walt Whitman for me. And it will be good to go back up to my old stomping grounds for the BC game.

Advertisement
Can't imagine it won't be an FCS opponent at this late date.

Hope DanRad brings in FAMU, Bethune or Stetson.

If we gonna play these games (like many P5 schools do these days), no reason not to support one of our schools here in FL

Some viable options that Im seeing for the open 2023 spot:

* Baylor has an opening on their 2023 OOC schedule.
* UCF has a game with Villanova on Sept. 16th. They can easily buy that game out for a chance to play UM.
* UCLA has a game with North Carolina Central on Sept. 16th. Easy buy out.

@Miami04
UCF is in the big 12 then so they may not a tough (LOL) OOC game their new b12 conf schedule.

Strange to not see Virginia Tech on there with no more divisions.

Will be the first time the Canes and Hokies haven't matched up since the 1991 season when Miami joined the Big East—first taking on Virginia Tech as a conference for in 1992.

The teams played nine times before that (Miami was 9-0) between 1953 and 1987—including the 1980 Peach Bowl that Howard lobbied so hard to get Miami into.

Weird to see that annual rival end as it was such a big deal in the mid-90's and early 00's.
Also Duke

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back