Current state of our fan base

I think the majority of this fan base needs to grow a pair.
You mean a pair of brains, since one brain isn’t working well enough for many of you? Maybe a second brain will help unbury your heads from the sand to realize we havent been very good for years, mostly due to unqualified or retired coaches not understanding modern day college football? Priceless comment from the board’s elite orange and green glasses & sunshine pumper salesman!

Advertisement
When you look at the sudden lack of faith here lately and much of the negativity I certainly don't think that everyone just suddenly turned into a bunch of mopes. No, this reactionary attitude seen all throughout the fan base this week is rooted in the past. It isn't that we were beat by #1 Clemson that has many in a state of post traumatic stress disorder. It is a combination of things that have brought the demons out of the Pandora's box of our collective fan subconscious.

Getting beat by Clemson wasn't the thing, it was the nature of the loss that has awakened the latent fears of many here. It was the penalties plus the inability to get anything going offensively vs a team that although very talented, had a couple spots that could have been better exploited through better preparation and game planning. It was the shocking seeming lack of preparation, not knowing the opponent well enough and the inability to adjust to anything. Put all those things together with a fan base who has been desperately trying to convince themselves(me included) that we had turned a corner and were now just basically waiting for our 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes to show up and give us the depth in addition to increasing our talent level.

The beat down we took Saturday basically unraveled that illusion and made us come to grips with the reality that maybe adding a good OC isn't going to cover all our warts. It made us have to face the possibility that maybe we aren't as talented as many of us had led each other to believe. Ultimately it made everyone really take a closer look at the entire staff and contemplate the possibility that we need to continue to upgrade the staff. I'm mainly referring to the defense here as I don't think most are so unreasonable not to give Lashlee the benefit of the doubt after getting ramroded by #1.

It also calls into question of just how much control Diaz has over this team when you look at all the penalties. It brings up some doubts as to whether Diaz is up to the task. The penalties suggest an alarming lack of discipline and focus and that falls squarely on the head coach. More than anything however a loss like that has many expecting a collapse because that is what this teams pattern has been over the last 4 years. We are anxious because if this team is like those of recent history, we will go into the tank for another 2-3 games. We are also anxious because Clemson basically showed the entire nation what to do to expose and beat us and if recent history is any indication, this staff will not adjust until the goals of this season are already out of reach. We get our answer tomorrow at noon.

Win big and the board will be back to pre Clemson form as that game will be chalked up to losing to a clearly superior team on the road as it should. Win a close game and it's a win but there will be many who are not satisfied. There will be countless posts about coaching deficiencies and playing below our collective talent level. Fair concerns. Lose and what we saw this week will pale in comparison to the complete and total meltdown we will witness on these boards. Personally I prefer option #1. We'll find out by late afternoon Saturday! Yours truly will be back then with the appropriate commentary and a bit of analysis. Canes!
Didn't read 😕 it's been 17 years of mediocrity that's not some years..that's a whole generation. We are what we are until we prove we want more. I'm convinced. A win today will not change my mind.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Urban wont come because he said he wont do it again.

The dude gets so stressed with football, he grows an aneurysm in his head. Thats the **** problem. He would still coach if he can do it but his body cant take it.

Of course Urban would help us. But he cant.

When you look at the sudden lack of faith here lately and much of the negativity I certainly don't think that everyone just suddenly turned into a bunch of mopes. No, this reactionary attitude seen all throughout the fan base this week is rooted in the past. It isn't that we were beat by #1 Clemson that has many in a state of post traumatic stress disorder. It is a combination of things that have brought the demons out of the Pandora's box of our collective fan subconscious.

Getting beat by Clemson wasn't the thing, it was the nature of the loss that has awakened the latent fears of many here. It was the penalties plus the inability to get anything going offensively vs a team that although very talented, had a couple spots that could have been better exploited through better preparation and game planning. It was the shocking seeming lack of preparation, not knowing the opponent well enough and the inability to adjust to anything. Put all those things together with a fan base who has been desperately trying to convince themselves(me included) that we had turned a corner and were now just basically waiting for our 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes to show up and give us the depth in addition to increasing our talent level.

The beat down we took Saturday basically unraveled that illusion and made us come to grips with the reality that maybe adding a good OC isn't going to cover all our warts. It made us have to face the possibility that maybe we aren't as talented as many of us had led each other to believe. Ultimately it made everyone really take a closer look at the entire staff and contemplate the possibility that we need to continue to upgrade the staff. I'm mainly referring to the defense here as I don't think most are so unreasonable not to give Lashlee the benefit of the doubt after getting ramroded by #1.

It also calls into question of just how much control Diaz has over this team when you look at all the penalties. It brings up some doubts as to whether Diaz is up to the task. The penalties suggest an alarming lack of discipline and focus and that falls squarely on the head coach. More than anything however a loss like that has many expecting a collapse because that is what this teams pattern has been over the last 4 years. We are anxious because if this team is like those of recent history, we will go into the tank for another 2-3 games. We are also anxious because Clemson basically showed the entire nation what to do to expose and beat us and if recent history is any indication, this staff will not adjust until the goals of this season are already out of reach. We get our answer tomorrow at noon.

Win big and the board will be back to pre Clemson form as that game will be chalked up to losing to a clearly superior team on the road as it should. Win a close game and it's a win but there will be many who are not satisfied. There will be countless posts about coaching deficiencies and playing below our collective talent level. Fair concerns. Lose and what we saw this week will pale in comparison to the complete and total meltdown we will witness on these boards. Personally I prefer option #1. We'll find out by late afternoon Saturday! Yours truly will be back then with the appropriate commentary and a bit of analysis. Canes!

There is no doubt that Manuela is lightweight, not up to the task, just like Flake.

Advertisement
All any of us want to see is us getting off of the canvas after getting cracked in the mouth like we did last weekend and establish another round of rhythm in throwing punches. This is what the next level of teams does...get beat by someone clearly better and then reestablish yourself as a dominant force (but not as good as the team that beat you). Then win the games that you are supposed to.

If this team is different and we have turned a corner, great! I believe we will all feel better about the future of this team and the possibility of beating the better team (like Clemson) at our next opportunity. But the bigger point is disbelief and that this will happen and history is bound to repeat itself. Starting this thread after we win today would be a moot point because the fan base would already be where you are...seeing a brighter future. Instead, we are all prognosticating on what will happen today and based upon past performances, we expect a let down (let’s not confuse that with what we hope the outcome is).

I am surprised that I have not seen an emoji or gif of the Banana in the Tailpipe as that is the best way to sum this up. Our coping mechanism is to stop falling for brighter days ahead as an expectation on the heels of such a bad loss (granted the D never gave up). That is why all of the negativity. Not one fan in here would not give up something important (besides weed apparently) to them to see the turnaround occur. But no one wants to have false hope that we are going to rip through a team like Pitt on the heals of last weeks disaster as it is too painful to expect something that we haven’t witnessed in the better part of 15 years...the fight in the dog!

Let’s hope we see it today but not set ourselves up for a crappy rest of the weekend if it doesn’t show....and Comcast still sucks for not giving us our Saturday right to enjoyment even during the Coronavirus!

The Clemson loss didn't really faze me. I knew going in that for us to beat them, a great many factors would have to align perfectly. That along with Clemson having to perform far beneath their usual capabilities.

So in my mind, it was a game where I was more focused on players not getting hurt or showing any quit on the field. I expected our coaches, having had TWO weeks to prepare, to have been able to shown them some new wrinkles to keep them off balance and make appropriate half time adjustments.

The talent gap was plain to see in regards to the players, but the gap between the coaching staffs was even greater.

We didn't or couldn't adjust.That's what worries me.

Besides Clemson, We've had the talent advantage over the rest of the ACC for years and yet severely underperformed. I can't speak for others, but our team's overall weakness versus other teams in the ACC in recent years has been our coaching staff

Clemson was somewhat expected. How we rebound, and how prepared we are for Pitt will go a long way towards alleviating any " here we go again " feelings I have

“Fear” Lol GTFOH

It’s over a decade of incompetence that leads us to assume the worst. Why would we all of the sudden think this year is different? How many times can you get beaten by a spouse before you eventually assume nothing is gonna change?

Make that 2 decades. Fool me once shame on you fool me 20 times I’m an idiot.

Advertisement
“Fear” Lol GTFOH

It’s over a decade of incompetence that leads us to assume the worst. Why would we all of the sudden think this year is different? How many times can you get beaten by a spouse before you eventually assume nothing is gonna change?
Here here...incompetence seems to be the order of the day the last 17 years. Btw, wtf was that pass kosi threw at the end of the game?? The clemson player was right in front of him and yet he through handed the defender the ball.

I'm not sure why what I wrote made you react so strongly. Maybe you hated the way I used the word "fear" but thats ok. In the end we're all die hard fans here. To answer however I really do think many fans got a bit carried away then Clemson snapped them back to reality. I am guilty of this as well. As far as the 15 years of incompetence Im in complete agreement. I just think that there is a tendency is many of us fans to get so caught up in the early year excitement especially this year that we do think that it might be different. I think it's a quite normal reaction then after last week we got brought down to earth a little.

I still think that this year has the potential to be different and we'll find out a lot later today. Despite the rough spot we just went through, I'm still optimistic that this year can be a very good year for us.

It was victim blaming that’s why I reacted strongly.

Advertisement
Bottom line, today is EXACTLY the type of game we HAVE to win.

Zero excuses. This program is NEVER going to move forward until we don't STOP losing to the Pitt's, Duke's, and Virginia's of the world. Now that we're past Clemson, the rest of the schedule is VERY manageable.

Bottom line, today is EXACTLY the type of game we HAVE to win.

Zero excuses. This program is NEVER going to move forward until we don't STOP losing to the Pitt's, Duke's, and Virginia's of the world. Now that we're past Clemson, the rest of the schedule is VERY manageable.
We and win big.

Advertisement
Back