Current state of our fan base

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
When you look at the sudden lack of faith here lately and much of the negativity I certainly don't think that everyone just suddenly turned into a bunch of mopes. No, this reactionary attitude seen all throughout the fan base this week is rooted in the past. It isn't that we were beat by #1 Clemson that has many in a state of post traumatic stress disorder. It is a combination of things that have brought the demons out of the Pandora's box of our collective fan subconscious.

Getting beat by Clemson wasn't the thing, it was the nature of the loss that has awakened the latent fears of many here. It was the penalties plus the inability to get anything going offensively vs a team that although very talented, had a couple spots that could have been better exploited through better preparation and game planning. It was the shocking seeming lack of preparation, not knowing the opponent well enough and the inability to adjust to anything. Put all those things together with a fan base who has been desperately trying to convince themselves(me included) that we had turned a corner and were now just basically waiting for our 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes to show up and give us the depth in addition to increasing our talent level.

The beat down we took Saturday basically unraveled that illusion and made us come to grips with the reality that maybe adding a good OC isn't going to cover all our warts. It made us have to face the possibility that maybe we aren't as talented as many of us had led each other to believe. Ultimately it made everyone really take a closer look at the entire staff and contemplate the possibility that we need to continue to upgrade the staff. I'm mainly referring to the defense here as I don't think most are so unreasonable not to give Lashlee the benefit of the doubt after getting ramroded by #1.

It also calls into question of just how much control Diaz has over this team when you look at all the penalties. It brings up some doubts as to whether Diaz is up to the task. The penalties suggest an alarming lack of discipline and focus and that falls squarely on the head coach. More than anything however a loss like that has many expecting a collapse because that is what this teams pattern has been over the last 4 years. We are anxious because if this team is like those of recent history, we will go into the tank for another 2-3 games. We are also anxious because Clemson basically showed the entire nation what to do to expose and beat us and if recent history is any indication, this staff will not adjust until the goals of this season are already out of reach. We get our answer tomorrow at noon.

Win big and the board will be back to pre Clemson form as that game will be chalked up to losing to a clearly superior team on the road as it should. Win a close game and it's a win but there will be many who are not satisfied. There will be countless posts about coaching deficiencies and playing below our collective talent level. Fair concerns. Lose and what we saw this week will pale in comparison to the complete and total meltdown we will witness on these boards. Personally I prefer option #1. We'll find out by late afternoon Saturday! Yours truly will be back then with the appropriate commentary and a bit of analysis. Canes!

Advertisement
Or...maybe...just maybe...this is an internet message board where the takes are extreme, the reactions are sensationalised and everybody wants to say I told you so.
I like this place, I learn a lot, but when we win manny Diaz is a god and Miami is back. When we lose, fire everyone and the qb sucks.
take everything with a tablespoon of salt around here. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.
having said all that, if we come out flat and insipid, manny Diaz may take a Figurative body blow he won’t recover from.

Guys I've been a fan for 23 years. My first game I watched, FSU beat us something like 42-3.

Then UCLA came. Then Miami/FSU 2000. I was around 15 years old, barely knew anything about football, and I did not understand exactly what I was watching.

My main thought was, "Man, our team is making it look so easy."

Little did I know I was watching the greatest team in college football history.

Then OSU.

Then a comeback against the Gators.

Then Coker fired a bunch of assisstants to save his job.

Then Shannon.

The Golden.

Then we California'd Duke.

Then Richt.

Notre Dame was a sign of hope.

Then Diaz.

....And in between the events I listed, was nothing but bad decision making, bad coaching hires, inept administration, mediocre recruiting, and a prolonged NCAA investigation over hookers and boat rides.

Truth be told, did I think we beat the **** out of Clemson? Not really.

What I wanted to see was a good coaching staff, and a team of young guys scrapping it out, giving Clemson the flop sweat and having a punchers chance, like what we did with the Gators in 2008. For three quarters, we mind****ed Tim Tebow almost to tears.

I didn't see that against Clemson.

I saw a few guys not giving up, not wanting to give an inch, contesting every damned play. That was promising.

But I saw a lot of discipline mistakes, a lot of concentration mistakes from both sides of the ball. And our starters aren't exactly a bunch of freshmen.

I get that Clemson is about 2-3 years worth of recruiting ahead of us. I get that 2001 isn't coming back. I seriously doubt *any* program, not even Clemson or Alabama, can recreate that much NFL talent on one team.

I'm still waiting for that signiture game, that signiture moment that tells us and everyone else watching...we're not irrelevant anymore. There wasn't a guy on this board that didn't think ND 2017 was that game.

I was wrong...and I'm still waiting.

Canes for life.

Last edited:
Advertisement
“Fear” Lol GTFOH

It’s over a decade of incompetence that leads us to assume the worst. Why would we all of the sudden think this year is different? How many times can you get beaten by a spouse before you eventually assume nothing is gonna change?
I'm not sure why what I wrote made you react so strongly. Maybe you hated the way I used the word "fear" but thats ok. In the end we're all die hard fans here. To answer however I really do think many fans got a bit carried away then Clemson snapped them back to reality. I am guilty of this as well. As far as the 15 years of incompetence Im in complete agreement. I just think that there is a tendency is many of us fans to get so caught up in the early year excitement especially this year that we do think that it might be different. I think it's a quite normal reaction then after last week we got brought down to earth a little.

I still think that this year has the potential to be different and we'll find out a lot later today. Despite the rough spot we just went through, I'm still optimistic that this year can be a very good year for us.

The reason why people react so strongly comes down to a few things.

1. We are tired of losing, especially losing in an unnecessary way. And that has happened so many times...

2. A lot of us, especially older fans, wish that the past returns. It wont. The past had a group of players that were tired of losing. Ed Reed is the key example of this. He was a freshman in 1997, when FSU launched our QB into the goal post. He was a senior in 2001 when he screamed at our players in the locker room, because we didnt smash FSU. These players worked their butts off to become great and you will have a hard time finding a group of football players that worked as hard as these guys did.

3. We all want to see one thing: Seeing Miami win. A winning Miami Hurricanes team is great for college football and seeing a winning state of Florida is even better for College Football. Imagine Miami, FSU, Florida and UCF being constant 10-win teams. Even our own players said it, FSU kept them on the gas pedal. They challenged them year in and year out.

We all love this team. We dont hate it. We dont want to see them fail, we just want it to work out. And a fanbase, that becomes more and more miserable from season to season, is not a Miami Hurricanes exclusive. Check Reddit or the Falcoholic after the Falcons blew a game that had a 99% win probability. **** was hilarious, BUT: They are tired of losing. Every fanbase that is tired of losing becomes miserable when things **** the bed, become hyped when things are good, only to become miserable when **** hits the fan again.

Sounds like OP just looked in the mirror and got woke. Nearly 15 years of mediocrity, and he just now realizes fans are tired of mediocrity after losing bad to Clemson?

Administraron don’t care about winning. Simple as that. The day that UM invests min 5 mil a year coach is the day that we start climbing the ladder. If we hit a needle in a haystack coach and we paying him 2 mil a year, that coach will leave for a higher paying gig in a couple of years. Too many variables to list.

Advertisement
This fanbase, so all on this board, have Hurricanes PTSD. I won't list the reasons some others above did a good job of that. I have been a Hurricanes fan since the early 80's - Jim Kelly was QB win I stated watching. The first game I went to was when Coach Legend ran up the score against Notre Dame. So my memory of the Hurricanes is as a winning program, a powerhouse! You younger fans don't know what a winning Miami team looks like except what you see on YouTube. So there is an longing there from both of those groups to be able to see a winning Miami football team. And SO MUCH CRAP have been feed to us over the decades we are getting a little nuts. Any win and the Canes have their swagger back! Any loss and here we go again - same ol' Canes.

The truth is the University of Miami football team is going to stay average. Yeah we will have better years some time, maybe a big win here and there. But overall an average football team. The reason for this is the people who make the decisions about the University are fine with being average. The money, the admin, the board don't get it! They don't understand why we care about wins, loses, and championships. Yes have a team so the money comes in from ACC, tickets, gear. But don't go out of your way to be Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio. That money from the football program is to finance other things. More important things! The people who run the board hire the upper administration. Obviously not having an elite program is not problem when the athletic department hires are made. For every step forward Miami makes with the team - the elites are doing 5X's that! I am a Miami fan. I am going to watch and come to the board. My stomach will hurt after every loss just like all of you. But we will never be that again because being "okay" has found its way into the school. And once that happens and no one gets fired or replaced then it never will.

Sorry

Administraron don’t care about winning. Simple as that. The day that UM invests min 5 mil a year coach is the day that we start climbing the ladder. If we hit a needle in a haystack coach and we paying him 2 mil a year, that coach will leave for a higher paying gig in a couple of years. Too many variables to list.

Who are we spending the $5 million on big money? Name the coach out there you're willing to gamble $25,000,000 on who you are confident will turn this program around?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Urban will get us rolling. Admit it.

If he is even slightly interested, brinks truck him.
Even though non of us like the guy, he would be the guy.
Problem is, he is not coming back to coaching anytime soon.

Why do I believe this?
It's because it's not a stretch to think that other schools with bigger bank rolls have already taken a run at him.

So, with the high probability that he is not an option, who is your #2?

Advertisement
Back