Culture and Talent Eval insight from Urban Meyer

Advertisement
**** I dislike this man, but I have to admit he knows his stuff cold. This was a great read and coach Diaz could learn a lot.

Go Canes

Urby is really good at convincing you he's a good guy. That's the thing he does the best. Because he recruits scumbags (don't let him fool you, just look at his guys and arrest records / suspensions even at OSU) he has to be really good at convincing you that he's a good guy. His 10-80-10 stuff is fantastic, "Be The One" is great but there's a reason his programs always start to slide after the first few years. It's because the players lose trust in him as he doesn't back up what he says in regards to star players or his coaching staff. His stars can get away with things, obviously, others can't. There's no quicker way to lose the trust and respect from your players than to do that. Eventually kids lose their belief in you and you don't win quite like you did early on. But yeah, he's a **** of a car salesman and I love his stuff.

Decent read, but I think in Manny's case, he still has to figure out what the culture will be, and follow it himself. He has not done that this far. Time will tell.

Manny currently has the "Discipline" poster with the babbling brook in the background on his wall. Discipline, culture and commitment are more than a t-shirt and a poster. I wouldn't hire any coach that can't clearly define THEIR idea of culture and their plan to build said culture from the inside out.

I’ve seen Urban in person. He’s an intense guy who pounds coffee in the middle of the day. (Inside info?)

Advertisement
81-9 at Ohio st I would gladly take that!! If Miami won the natty this year nobody would care about a couple of arrests. Why care about Meyer being a nice guy.

He literally had murders, thieves, and woman beaters as either players or staffers. Urban Meyer is the poster boy for keeping it gangster. Nice Guy and Urban Meyer will never be mentioned in the same descriptive sentence.

Go Canes

Advertisement
FIFY

Go Canes
It was right before the Fiesta Bowl this year with OSU and Clemson. He was with a group of guys at a big table at a resturant over in Westgate. (Next to the stadium) While everyone at his table was socalizing, he was pounding coffee and glued to his phone and iPad which he had set up at the table. He oblivious to everyone and everything around him.

Ryan Day saved that program from sinking. Urban Meyer didn’t seem to have control of the locker room at the end. Since Ryan day has gotten hired, he has re-established the culture and his team is way more disciplined. He is also a great recruiter

Urby is really good at convincing you he's a good guy. That's the thing he does the best. Because he recruits scumbags (don't let him fool you, just look at his guys and arrest records / suspensions even at OSU) he has to be really good at convincing you that he's a good guy. His 10-80-10 stuff is fantastic, "Be The One" is great but there's a reason his programs always start to slide after the first few years. It's because the players lose trust in him as he doesn't back up what he says in regards to star players or his coaching staff. His stars can get away with things, obviously, others can't. There's no quicker way to lose the trust and respect from your players than to do that. Eventually kids lose their belief in you and you don't win quite like you did early on. But yeah, he's a **** of a car salesman and I love his stuff.

When you win like Urban does there is not much convincing to be done

He literally had murders, thieves, and woman beaters as either players or staffers. Urban Meyer is the poster boy for keeping it gangster. Nice Guy and Urban Meyer will never be mentioned in the same descriptive sentence.

Go Canes
Those were grown men, he's not responsible for all of that

Advertisement
The biggest reason for out decline since Butch left is talent eval. Establishing culture is alot easier when you identify and sign the right guys.
But you have to know what a right guy is for your culture. I recommend reading The Program: Lessons from elite military units

You don't know what the best person is for you to acquire if you don't define your core values ie create the culture.

Advertisement

Reading your post damyum near reads like articles people wrote about UM in the 80's and how some still try and use the "Miami is a dangerous place to play at". Many of the white elites felt the same way about jimmy johnson and barry switzer all because of the type of players who earned it, that they gave opportunities to. Im not comparing oscar cryer to jimmy, but jimmy treated his star players different in college and the pro's, never caused him to lose his teams because jimmy geniunely cared for the majority of his players, and guys matured under jimmy, the guys jimmy recruited and drafted, not many coaches than and now would've dealt with them. I could careless about oscar cryer, him and bill belicheat remind me of each other, neither can be trusted, and are a-holes. As far as oscar cryer goes, he's won everywhere he's been at in college, and has earned his champion headcoach title, whereas bill belicheat is still a trash headcoach and is a habitual cheater, i always wanted to see brady play somewhere else, cause neither him nor bill are that good, ask sam madison, jason taylor, patrick surtain, zach thomas, brock marion and the boyz what they thought about brady, they wasnt impressed. If brady starts playing like dog doo-doo, people are going to chalk it up to him being older now, and watch whoever starts at qb for new england next year, if their is a season at all, they'll probably keep on chuggin along. Point being with oscar cryer, most people not going to remember anything his players did while he was in college except for winning championships, so all that **** you talking about oscar cryer whether it's true or not, he's a championship coach, belicheat will always be viewed as a cheater.

Advertisement
Back