Culture and Talent Eval insight from Urban Meyer

But you have to know what a right guy is for your culture. I recommend reading The Program: Lessons from elite military units

You don't know what the best person is for you to acquire if you don't define your core values ie create the culture.

No coach recruits all the "right guys", Saban would be taking L's left & right if He had a team full of choir boys.

Advertisement
The biggest reason for out decline since Butch left is talent eval. Establishing culture is alot easier when you identify and sign the right guys.

True on the butch front but shannon brought in real good talent, and so did the penn disgrace morons quiet as kept, their deployment strategies were flawed.

I won't hate on Meyers, and I bet my bottom dollar that if he was here in Coral Gables, none of you mofos would either. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet that if Blake James was fired, we got a real AD and he announced Meyers was hired for 5 yrs 50m, 98% of the board would be jumping for joy, while the 2% would be trolls.

Regardless, one main point stuck out to me in this article:
“I feel very strong about this … that it’s amazing — when you’re hired as a head football coach, two things you have to do,” Meyer said. “No. 1 is develop a culture, implement a culture. No. 2, it’s called talent acquisition. And in college, it’s recruiting and development.

Since Coker, the culture has been broken. The culture has not been defined since. It's been all smoke and mirrors with catchy phrases.
Our recruiting has been relatively OK, besides the shear amount of attrition....but I believe the major reason why we have a **** poor attrition is based upon a horrible culture, and more importantly, a shear lack of player development. Til this day, I still don't know what team we're supposed to be. Coaches have said one thing to the fans, but on the field something totally different shows up.

I won't hate on Meyers, and I bet my bottom dollar that if he was here in Coral Gables, none of you mofos would either. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet that if Blake James was fired, we got a real AD and he announced Meyers was hired for 5 yrs 50m, 98% of the board would be jumping for joy, while the 2% would be trolls.

I hear you Bro, but until Meyer comes clean on the Zach Smith situation, He's lost the last bit of credibility that He had. I believe that's the reason He didn't get hired last year.

No coach recruits all the "right guys", Saban would be taking L's left & right if He had a team full of choir boys.

I would bet you those guys fill out Saban's core values. Have you ever seen the videos where guys sit down and can recite Saban's core values, mission, philosophy etc even 10 years after leaving?

Advertisement
I hear you Bro, but until Meyer comes clean on the Zach Smith situation, He's lost the last bit of credibility that He had. I believe that's the reason He didn't get hired last year.

Yeah, honestly.....forgot all about Zach Smith. That kinda got swept out of the whole media.

I would bet you those guys fill out Saban's core values. Have you ever seen the videos where guys sit down and can recite Saban's core values, mission, philosophy etc even 10 years after leaving?

Oh I hear you, but I don't think Saban is rigid on culture fit when He recruits a kid, He'll work with em' when they get to Tuscaloosa.

Oh I hear you, but I don't think Saban is rigid on culture fit when He recruits a kid, He'll work with em' when they get to Tuscaloosa.

I think he is like Belichick. He knows that most of his players are in the mold of the core values he wants. He keeps a short leash and yells at everyone equally- five star or not.

I think Dabo sacrificed recruiting class for character in order to get the staff and roster how he wanted and now he can take more risks.

Helps to have massive recruiting dept's and budgets that have time to call your ex girlfriend from 9th grade and see if you were a good dude or not.

I think he is like Belichick. He knows that most of his players are in the mold of the core values he wants. He keeps a short leash and yells at everyone equally- five star or not.

I think Dabo sacrificed recruiting class for character in order to get the staff and roster how he wanted and now he can take more risks.

Helps to have massive recruiting dept's and budgets that have time to call your ex girlfriend from 9th grade and see if you were a good dude or not.

Good points.

Advertisement

But then again, Alabama/Saban was recruiting Jeff Thomas. I could've told you Jeff Thomas was gonna be a problem from watching that 99 Blocks documentary. How do you miss half the school year and still graduate?...and then His coach made Him give a barely halfhearted apology to the team after He got suspended.

But then again, Alabama/Saban was recruiting Jeff Thomas. I could've told you Jeff Thomas was gonna be a problem from watching that 99 Blocks documentary. How do you miss half the school year and still graduate?...and then His coach made Him give a barely halfhearted apology to the team after He got suspended.

Saban already had 4 titles at Bama and 1 at LSU by then? I assume he felt his culture is set enough to bring in one Thomas and that guy will either guy in or go away and Ridley, Jeudy, Waddle and Ruggs were enough to not miss/notice if Thomas was kicked off the team? Do you think that he would even try half that chit with Saban? And if so, if Saban would've begged him to come back like someone else mistakenly did, thus costing him any chance at building his culture?

Just read the Zach Smith to see how much he cares bout Recruiting. OSU is elite at it.....and thats what Urban preaches. He only really hones in on the top of the top guys...but when he does its usually a rap.

Its no secret....spend money on a true recruiting department, put emphasis on good recruiters on staff....BOOM land top recruits.

We literally had/have a staff with Manny with maybe 1 good recruiter....and not even the head man as he isnt a good one. tO BE A GOOD RECRUITER YOU HAVE TO BE A GOOD LIAR....well we know Urb got that 1 locked up.

Advertisement
At the end of the day, Urban Meyer WINS wherever he goes and IF Miami was looking for a new coach, I would hope they look at him.. WINS should be the main reason for getting him here, MIAMI needs someone that can get this program back to WINNING.. And Urban is a WINNER, so I wouldn't be mad to get him IF we needed to make a switch!!

Noway anyone complains if Urban were to come here. That would mean #6 is on the way. Urban Meyer in South Florida would be a rap. #6 within 3 years. We couldn't afford him though unfortunately. He wouldn't just command near $10M, his staff, including building a true recruiting staff with budget, would be double what were paying now. The plus side is that he would build us into an actual program.

Advertisement
Ppl ask the question, why MIAMI can't get back to what it once was IT'S SIMPLE, the program doesn't want to spend the money to get it that way!! It's all about the staff, MIAMI has to get the right staff for coaching and recruiting.. Can't kick any corners and it seems like that's what MIAMI has been doing for years!!

This is why I say hire a staff with former greats, maybe these guys wouldn't demand a lot of money to coach here and they could use more money to build other areas to make this thing work.. Because I'm sorry, no way in **** former player's like Micheal Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ken Dorsey and plenty of others couldn't coach this team to be WINNERS... A LOT of these coaches today that are dominanting CFB are former player's!! So I know for fact if we can get the right set of former player's here this staff could be something serious, BUT PPL THINK THAT'S THE DUMBEST IDEA EVER... I rather put this team in the hands of guys that played here and love the program AND GUYS THAT ONCE HAD THIS PROGRAM THE BEST IN CFB, rather then keep hiring ppl with a lot of talk with no action!! But I'm just a fan

Meyer, Saban, and Dabo are in a company of their own. Recruiting wise, they are the only three that could literally walk into any living room, not say a word, drop an offer on the table, and have a high chance of the kid commiting on the spot. Their name and past recruits itself.

Advertisement
Back