Cristobal recruiting article

Advertisement
Nobody stopped being a good recruiter when they came here. What happened was the team wasnt winning enough. We always have good classes whek the coaches just start. When its year 3 and 4 and you can't explain to the kids why u can't win the Coastal or beat a G5 school comfortable, than your seat gets hot, thats how the recruiting becomes difficult. Cristobal is not selling magic beans. Dude could sell Pac 12 titles and trying to take the next step to playoffs at Oregon. At Bama he was selling playoffs and national titles.

If we are in the ACC title game often and people see improvements he will be the same beast recruiter you hear about. Even if we have some mean years he will recruit well cuz he is dogged like that. But like i said, you have to have some substance eventually to challenge the best classes in the country. Miami is a walking top 12 class. You need top 5 to compete for playoffs.

Nobody stopped being a good recruiter when they came here. What happened was the team wasnt winning enough. We always have good classes whek the coaches just start. When its year 3 and 4 and you can't explain to the kids why u can't win the Coastal or beat a G5 school comfortable, than your seat gets hot, thats how the recruiting becomes difficult. Cristobal is not selling magic beans. Dude could sell Pac 12 titles and trying to take the next step to playoffs at Oregon. At Bama he was selling playoffs and national titles.

If we are in the ACC title game often and people see improvements he will be the same beast recruiter you hear about. Even if we have some mean years he will recruit well cuz he is dogged like that. But like i said, you have to have some substance eventually to challenge the best classes in the country. Miami is a walking top 12 class. You need top 5 to compete for playoffs.
we haven't had a good recruiter at HC since Butch

A couple months ago, the Athletic put out a story with anonymous assistant coach quotes about recruiting. It was nationally focused, but there were a bunch of interesting quotes about Cristobal and Oregon:

Are there any programs whose recruiting has impressed you lately?​

Pac-12 coach: I think Oregon’s doing a good job. They do a really good job with O-linemen obviously with Mario and that O-line coach (Alex Mirabel) being the point guys there. I think they’ve got a really good sell there. I’d say those guys are recruiting at a really high level right now.

Pac-12 coach: Oregon. They grind at it. They work at it. That’s a head coach who is killing it. Going up against Oklahoma, all you hear about is Lincoln Riley. He does a **** of a job.

What’s the right balance when determining how often to contact a recruit? How do you show you’re interested while not trying to be needy or pushy?​

Pac-12 coach: When they dropped the phone call rule and said you could call whenever, obviously, every college coach took advantage of that. Every kid was just on speed dial and you were calling them every day. If you weren’t, then that’s a problem. If you weren’t calling a kid, someone else was. Do you want to give these people some space but if you give them some space you know Oregon’s calling them every day.

What’s the biggest difference between a recruitment where a head coach is actively involved and one where it’s mostly handled by an assistant and a staffer?​

Pac-12 coach: That was my life at (my previous job). Our head coach was awful at recruiting. Thought it was beneath him … and (thought) that he walked in and was the closer. When the head coach is involved and you’re recruiting against that and you don’t have your head coach involved, it’s a *****.

ACC coach: There’s a lot of sharks when the HC is (involved) — they’re swinging a much bigger stick. Cristobal is really tough to beat. If Oregon is involved, it’s a bad deal because the head coach is so involved in the process and how he’s gonna recruit the kid.

Who’s the toughest assistant coach to recruit against?​

Pac-12 coach: It seems like we’re always struggling battling Oregon’s guys. …

one GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back