Cristobal recruiting article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
A couple months ago, the Athletic put out a story with anonymous assistant coach quotes about recruiting. It was nationally focused, but there were a bunch of interesting quotes about Cristobal and Oregon:

Are there any programs whose recruiting has impressed you lately?​

Pac-12 coach: I think Oregon’s doing a good job. They do a really good job with O-linemen obviously with Mario and that O-line coach (Alex Mirabel) being the point guys there. I think they’ve got a really good sell there. I’d say those guys are recruiting at a really high level right now.

Pac-12 coach: Oregon. They grind at it. They work at it. That’s a head coach who is killing it. Going up against Oklahoma, all you hear about is Lincoln Riley. He does a **** of a job.

What’s the right balance when determining how often to contact a recruit? How do you show you’re interested while not trying to be needy or pushy?​

Pac-12 coach: When they dropped the phone call rule and said you could call whenever, obviously, every college coach took advantage of that. Every kid was just on speed dial and you were calling them every day. If you weren’t, then that’s a problem. If you weren’t calling a kid, someone else was. Do you want to give these people some space but if you give them some space you know Oregon’s calling them every day.

What’s the biggest difference between a recruitment where a head coach is actively involved and one where it’s mostly handled by an assistant and a staffer?​

Pac-12 coach: That was my life at (my previous job). Our head coach was awful at recruiting. Thought it was beneath him … and (thought) that he walked in and was the closer. When the head coach is involved and you’re recruiting against that and you don’t have your head coach involved, it’s a *****.

ACC coach: There’s a lot of sharks when the HC is (involved) — they’re swinging a much bigger stick. Cristobal is really tough to beat. If Oregon is involved, it’s a bad deal because the head coach is so involved in the process and how he’s gonna recruit the kid.

Who’s the toughest assistant coach to recruit against?​

Pac-12 coach: It seems like we’re always struggling battling Oregon’s guys. …

Advertisement
daffy duck masturbation GIF

Have heard about top notch recruiters, then they come to miami and get neutered.. Things are supposed to be different now, time will tell.. At Oregon they started recruiting at a beastly level, can he do that here?

Neutered? By whom? Don't generalize, be specific in your mopery. If you are talking about an assistant who gets "neutered" by his boss, that is very different.

Mario is just a different kind of ultra-competitive person. He's been that way for over 30 years. Who is going to "neuter" him now?

Advertisement
Neutered? By whom? Don't generalize, be specific in your mopery. If you are talking about an assistant who gets "neutered" by his boss, that is very different.

Mario is just a different kind of ultra-competitive person. He's been that way for over 30 years. Who is going to "neuter" him now?
Its not that serious, just we have heard many corches coming here with recruiting fanfare and for whatever reason cant do it here, many years of fans blaming bags and such, this isnt new or confusing. Golden was hyped as recruiter also, building his first class, boom we get Nevin bombshell, he was neutered by that, no? Definitely didnt help.. lol..

Nothing I am saying is mopery, its fact.. Been following recruiting for yearsssss, have players and coaches on team currently.. Hoping things start to swing the positive way because we been taking Ls 15 years running.. Lets see how things play out, like I said, time will tell..

Its not that serious, just we have heard many corches coming here with recruiting fanfare and for whatever reason cant do it here, many years of fans blaming bags and such, this isnt new or confusing. Golden was hyped as recruiter also, building his first class, boom we get Nevin bombshell, he was neutered by that, no? Definitely didnt help.. lol..

Nothing I am saying is mopery, its fact.. Been following recruiting for yearsssss, have players and coaches on team currently.. Hoping things start to swing the positive way because we been taking Ls 15 years running.. Lets see how things play out, like I said, time will tell..

Each different era contributes to the big picture.

A lot of Coker's guys were good recruiters, but I can tell you for a fact that they started getting lazy as Rivals/Scout took off, they started recruiting based on the recruiting rankings. Randy was a darned good recruiter, considering that he didn't have a lot of individual success (as a head coach). I'll grant you Golden, but I think the issue there was that he never made a solid transition from G5 to P5 style, and he was still recruiting as if he was a Ped State guy. Richt did pretty well, but small sample size.

That's all. If we look at particular assistants, that might be different, but when you look at "head coaches", I'd say that the OVERALL recruiting rankings have been pretty good (considering our terrible records, on a comparable basis), but our TALENT IDENTIFICATION, as well as DEVELOPMENT, has been lacking.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A couple months ago, the Athletic put out a story with anonymous assistant coach quotes about recruiting. It was nationally focused, but there were a bunch of interesting quotes about Cristobal and Oregon:

Are there any programs whose recruiting has impressed you lately?​

Pac-12 coach: I think Oregon’s doing a good job. They do a really good job with O-linemen obviously with Mario and that O-line coach (Alex Mirabel) being the point guys there. I think they’ve got a really good sell there. I’d say those guys are recruiting at a really high level right now.

Pac-12 coach: Oregon. They grind at it. They work at it. That’s a head coach who is killing it. Going up against Oklahoma, all you hear about is Lincoln Riley. He does a **** of a job.

What’s the right balance when determining how often to contact a recruit? How do you show you’re interested while not trying to be needy or pushy?​

Pac-12 coach: When they dropped the phone call rule and said you could call whenever, obviously, every college coach took advantage of that. Every kid was just on speed dial and you were calling them every day. If you weren’t, then that’s a problem. If you weren’t calling a kid, someone else was. Do you want to give these people some space but if you give them some space you know Oregon’s calling them every day.

What’s the biggest difference between a recruitment where a head coach is actively involved and one where it’s mostly handled by an assistant and a staffer?​

Pac-12 coach: That was my life at (my previous job). Our head coach was awful at recruiting. Thought it was beneath him … and (thought) that he walked in and was the closer. When the head coach is involved and you’re recruiting against that and you don’t have your head coach involved, it’s a *****.

ACC coach: There’s a lot of sharks when the HC is (involved) — they’re swinging a much bigger stick. Cristobal is really tough to beat. If Oregon is involved, it’s a bad deal because the head coach is so involved in the process and how he’s gonna recruit the kid.

Who’s the toughest assistant coach to recruit against?​

Pac-12 coach: It seems like we’re always struggling battling Oregon’s guys. …

And a good amount of those Oregon guys are coming.

T Rob sure got neutered ,not even manny couldn’t stop him from landing top db’s and being in play for others.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Epstein? 😭🖕

Advertisement
Back